Thread: My Brain On Tim Bowness

My Brain On Tim Bowness

I don't know why I did it. Sometimes my Feedly list of new releases guides me through Spotify. I should have remembered what it was like. I own a couple of NoMan albums although I hadn't listened to them in a long time. I just sort of fell away from the whole Steven Wilson axis of artists and simply forgot. Worst of all, I was on the lower end of my emotional cycle and I was in the zone anyway - cloudy day sitting in a darkened room waiting for something to happen.

Then I clicked on Tim Bowness and within a minute felt a massive despair wash over me. Every regret. Every lost love. Every mistake I'd made. Every humiliation. The weight of the world pressing down on me. All of it at me like a deep-sea vessel suddenly imploded by tons of pressure.

All I could think at that moment was, "People listen to this for pleasure?"
    No matter what anyone says, you are the decider of how you will listen to music.

Maybe I'll listen to the new Airbag record. I'm sure that'll be uplifting.
    No matter what anyone says, you are the decider of how you will listen to music.

Although I'm not inclined to seek melancholic atmospheres in music or in life, I like Tim Bowness' unique approach to melancholy, because of his sensitivity, his self-deprecating humor, and his ability to work with talented musicians who create interesting musical canvases.

His latest solo album Flowers At The Scene strikes me as more delicate than melancholic, although it is obviously filled with lyrical themes that could be depressing. To me he's less heavy-handed than Steven Wilson (for instance) in that department.

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    I don't know why I did it. Sometimes my Feedly list of new releases guides me through Spotify. I should have remembered what it was like. I own a couple of NoMan albums although I hadn't listened to them in a long time. I just sort of fell away from the whole Steven Wilson axis of artists and simply forgot. Worst of all, I was on the lower end of my emotional cycle and I was in the zone anyway - cloudy day sitting in a darkened room waiting for something to happen.

Then I clicked on Tim Bowness and within a minute felt a massive despair wash over me. Every regret. Every lost love. Every mistake I'd made. Every humiliation. The weight of the world pressing down on me. All of it at me like a deep-sea vessel suddenly imploded by tons of pressure.

All I could think at that moment was, "People listen to this for pleasure?"
    You'll be ecstatic to know he has a new album out in August then

Yes I listen to his music for pleasure but avoid if melancholic isn't your thing!

I was expecting a hard boiled egg at the minimum.
    He did not know that the sword he'd hold, would turn his priceless empire into fool's gold...

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Flowers at the Scene is my favorite release by this artist. Some of the earlier material I like musically but the lyrical content and style of delivery reminds me too much of the year I spent more time than I should have listening to A Natural Disaster by Anathema.

The new album Late Night Laments is now up at Burning Shed for pre order - out late August

Well not EVERYTHING with Tim Bowness has to be miserable. I find this quite uplifting, for instance:

Of course it helps that he only plays guitar. No miserable lyrics here, just a stone groove.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile