Page 91 of 176 FirstFirst ... 4181878889909192939495101141 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,275 of 4383

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Bridge Of Clay, the new novel by Markus Zusak, known for the bestseller The Book Thief.
    Just finished this epic story. Wow. Very well written and lovely story. If you like John Irving's Hotel New Hampshire, you might like this one too.

Over the weekend I read "Bad Blood," the story of the rise and fall of Theranos, a Silicon Valley startup who claimed to have invented a new device to analyze blood in small quantities -- from a finger prick, instead of a venous draw.

The only problem is, it never worked. The CEO, Elizabeth Holmes, deceived her investors and the FDA and her customers for about seven years before the whole thing collapsed. Fascinating story of greed, avarice, blind ambition, reality distortion fields and gullibility. Extremely well written.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Over the weekend I read "Bad Blood," the story of the rise and fall of Theranos, a Silicon Valley startup who claimed to have invented a new device to analyze blood in small quantities -- from a finger prick, instead of a venous draw.

The only problem is, it never worked. The CEO, Elizabeth Holmes, deceived her investors and the FDA and her customers for about seven years before the whole thing collapsed. Fascinating story of greed, avarice, blind ambition, reality distortion fields and gullibility. Extremely well written.
    That sounds interesting. I will have to check it out.

Motherless Child by Glen Hirshberg (1966- )
    Published 2012

The Murder Pit, the second Arrowood-mystery novel by Mick Finlay. Arrowood is a detective who works in the shadow of Sherlock Holmes.... (read: while Sherlock and Watson help the rich people from London, Arrowood and Barnett must do it with the poor.)

Together with The Murder Pit ^^ (which goes in with me in the train to work) I started reading a massive thriller, called Imaginary Friend by Stephen Chbosky.
    I read that he's a famous film-director and wrote his first novel about 20 years ago, which was called The Perks of Being a Wallflower.
    It starts nice and creepy, although a bit predictable, but maybe I've read to many Stephen Kings and Peter Straubs

Quote Originally Posted by Crawford Glissadevil View Post
    Motherless Child by Glen Hirshberg (1966- )
    Published 2012
    On page 167, I tossed in the towel.
    Thelma and Louise clones become vampires, abandon their babies for eternal road trip.

Some of Your Blood by Theodore Sturgeon (1918-1985)
    Published 1956
    Last edited by Crawford Glissadevil; 12-23-2019 at 09:29 PM.

The Soft Whisper of the Dead by Charles L. Grant (1942-2006)
    Published 1982

Beware by Richard Laymon. True to form, the mayhem starts right away.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Clickers Forever - A Tribute to J F Gonzalez by Brian Keene and a score of others

Sadly, JF (Jesus) Gonzalez passed away from cancer not that long ago. A brilliant horror author, who might best be known for his "Clickers" series
    of books. (with CGI as it is, these are screaming to be made into movies). Keene and a host of his peers pay tribute to Gonzalez with this book. Either
    in regaling the reader with humorous anecdotes of their interaction with Gonzalez, or by offering up a Clicker short story of their own. It is apparent that Jesus
    was quite revered in the community. He apparently was also an encyclopedia of all things horror as well. Fascinating read.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Beware by Richard Laymon. True to form, the mayhem starts right away.
    Have you read any of the Beast House books?

In the Court of King Crimson by Sid Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Clickers Forever - A Tribute to J F Gonzalez by Brian Keene and a score of others

Sadly, JF (Jesus) Gonzalez passed away from cancer not that long ago. A brilliant horror author, who might best be known for his "Clickers" series
    of books. (with CGI as it is, these are screaming to be made into movies). Keene and a host of his peers pay tribute to Gonzalez with this book. Either
    in regaling the reader with humorous anecdotes of their interaction with Gonzalez, or by offering up a Clicker short story of their own. It is apparent that Jesus
    was quite revered in the community. He apparently was also an encyclopedia of all things horror as well. Fascinating read.

Sad news. I had no idea Gonzalez passed 5 years ago. RIP. Last week, I bought the 2nd Clickers book "The Next Wave". Gonzalez was a talented man.

Quote Originally Posted by Crawford Glissadevil View Post
    Sad news. I had no idea Gonzalez passed 5 years ago. RIP. Last week, I bought the 2nd Clickers book "The Next Wave". Gonzalez was a talented man.
    Indeed he was

Vachel Lindsay: The Art of the Moving Picture. Written in 1915, updated in 1922 (if I'm remembering correctly), established a lot of the aesthetic values for movies (and some that ceased to be relevant with the advent of talkies).
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Statistics by Robert S. Witte and John S. Witte

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Have you read any of the Beast House books?
    I have all four, but I've yet to read any of them. Guess it's about time I start with The Cellar.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    I have all four, but I've yet to read any of them. Guess it's about time I start with The Cellar.
    I've read the last two. I don't own The Cellar...yet. Enjoy your journey.

Mongster by Randall Boyll (1962- )
    Published 1991

PK Dick's Now Wait For Last Year

Ursula K. Le Guin The Last Interview.

Collapse by Jared Diamond a followup to Guns, Germs and Steel
    Analysis ( and speculation ) as to the failure of human habitation in various places around the world at various points in history.
    Tying together environmental, economic, political factors as well as human nature as causes for Easter Island, Pitcairn Island, the Maya to fail.
    Published in 2007, it is interesting how some of the topics have held up, and some of the theories have become more accepted.
    And how some concerns are not all that new.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    1. Midnights Children
    2. The Ground beneath her feet
    3. The Moor's last Sigh
    4. Shalimar the Clown
    5. The Satanic Verses

Midnights children is probably my favorite novel ever by anyone. Maybe the first part- that is situated in Kashmir- is a bit hard to get through but after that; total bliss.
    Good list, and mirrors mine, though I’m a bit behind......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

I read Collapse a few years ago, and found it a most interesting read. Perhaps the most dramatic section is the comparison of Haiti to the Dominican Republic...and given what has happened on that border, it's some of the best evidence for his thesis.

Horrorstör by Grady Hendrix
    Published 2014

Reading Horrorstör for a horror discussion group. Several employees overnight in a haunted IKEA-esque store.

"Southern Gods" by John Hornor Jacobs (1971- )
    Published 2011