Page 45 of 176 FirstFirst ... 354142434445464748495595145 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,125 of 4383

Thread: What are you currently reading?

This one might be next. I've just been intimidated by its size (insert your joke here). But it pretty much has universal great reviews. And, between the time-travel aspect and the Kennedy assassination, I can't imagine that I'm not going to love it.
    Yes, it is a long one! However, after making it through the 1400 pages of The Stand, This almost seems like a novella!

edit.....

Go for it Scott! It is absolutely worth the effort.
    Last edited by Lou; 09-10-2016 at 10:03 AM.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

I have started on Kip Thorne's book Black Holes and Time Warps. Very good, but can I please find something that is post 7/4/12? (Discovery of Higgs Boson) All the stuff I'm reading about Quantum/Cosmology/science is dated.

Tonight I picked up Sean Carrolls "The Big Picture" - We'll see if a more recent book is more up to date. I am tired of reading about how someday we will detect gravitational waves. We did that in early 2016. Cant anyone stay up with this?

I read stuff like this, because I am really quite a stupid person, and reading this stuff makes me feel like I actually can use my brain. What a strange world we live in. Stanger than fiction.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    3/4 through Robin Hobb's "Fool's Assassin", the first of the latest Fitz and the Fool trilogy. I love this stuff.

Just started "Of Course I Said Yes!" by Arthur Barrow, who played bass guitar and keyboards with Frank Zappa and went on to play with Giorgio Moroder,Joe Cocker,Diana Ross and others.So far, so good.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    I have read most of his and always look out for the new ones. I started with The Rotters Club purely because of the hatfield's title, and went from there. I love the book and enjoyed the BBC adaptation. The Close Circle was a good book and worth reading as I cared about the original characters and what had become of them.

I recently finished Number 11, and it is only loosely related to What A Carve Up. I enjoyed it a lot, and the fantasy creature aspect was a strange twist but I read it as an allegory for the current state of society and the rampant greed of the mega-rich /ruling class.
    Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Same here. Just finisted Coe's Number 11 too and I like it too, including the strange last chapter.
    I also have his "children"-book The Broken Mirror, while his CD 9th And 13th is also fun.
    Too bad not all of his novels are translated into Dutch (I have 10 by now), so I might go for some of the older originals too.
    Did any of you two read The House Of Sleep??

Coz I got a question, as I'm not sure I understood the ending... The last addendum throws a cobble in the murky marsh waters, with that letter... Did cinema critic Terry worth get stabbed to coma in the subway station?
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

^^I did read The House Of Sleep, but can't really remember the ending. Must have been almost 20 years and many many books ago...

Big Joe Lansdale fan here. Have read most of his books. Love the Hap and Leonard series. The Hap and Leonard TV series was mighty satisfying. His The Bottoms, to me, is his To Kill a Mockingbird. I'm planning to go to the Telluride Horror Movie Festival in Colorado next month as my brother has a condo there and has offered me a ticket. Now I find that Joe Lansdale, his ownself, is going to be speaking at the fest. Oh boy, this is going to be great!
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I just started reading "Hap And Leonard," a new (2016) compilation of short stories about those characters. Although it is noted that only one story is really new, the other stories may have escaped my notice wherever they were published before (magazines, etc.). So, to me, it's a new Hap and Leonard book. I have not seen the TV series (no cable), but I've read most, if not all, Lansdale's books.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Bryan Smith is one of my favorite splatterpunk authors. Been on a bit of a binge by him lately.
    The Killing Kind was read last week, followed up currently with Kayla and the Devil.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    splatterpunk
    Okay, Lou (or anyone else). I give up. What is "splatterpunk?"
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Okay, Lou (or anyone else). I give up. What is "splatterpunk?"
    Splatterpunk is a genre defined by extremely graphic violence. Kind of like horror on steroids!

After finishing Nigel Powell's "Puritan" (a private autobiography) I'll start tomorrow with Bruce Cook's biography on Dalton Trumbo.

"Johnny Got His Gun" is one of my favorite novels, but the life of Trumbo is well worth reading to it seems, especially after reading a lot about him, watching the documentary Trumbo by Peter Askin and the recent biotopic Trumbo by Jay Roach.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Did any of you two read The House Of Sleep??

Coz I got a question, as I'm not sure I understood the ending... The last addendum throws a cobble in the murky marsh waters, with that letter... Did cinema critic Terry worth get stabbed to coma in the subway station?
    I am sure I did, but can't remember at this remove and I also can't find it on my shelves. I'll try and revisit it and see if I can shed any light!

I've got a few hundred books on the iPad (worked through several this summer but the pile keeps growing). Right now I'm blitzing through Tobias Buckell's Caribbean-flavored space opera Ragamuffin. Then I've got George Mann's steampunk/zombie epic The Affinity Bridge, Hunter Davis' biography of The Beatles, Ian M Banks second to last Culture book Surface Detail, and Charlie Stross's The Apocalypse Codex from his Laundry Files series. I'll finish them all before Thanksgiving. Oh, and I'm re-reading the Harry Potter books and trying to study Tolkien's Silmarillion. Life is good.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Now enjoying the third book of Joe Abercrombie's First Law Trilogy (Last Argument of Kings) after having finished the second volume of Robin Hobb's Fitz and the Fool trilogy. I have the first volume of his ostensibly YA series waiting for me.

That ridiculous and ubiquitous inspirational quote generator on Facebook got me thinking about real meaningful passages that would never be captured in that app--so I started re-reading my Vonnegut collection; starting with God Bless You, Mr Rosewater. "There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.”'
    Last edited by Zonefish; 09-30-2016 at 04:11 PM.
    "So it goes."
    -Kurt Vonnegut

Not sure that anyone else would be interested in this one, but I am currently reading: “Powerhouse, The Untold Story Of Hollywood’s Creative Artists Agency”. This is a new book by the same guys who did the books “These Guys Have All The Fun (A History Of ESPN), and “Live From New York (A History Of Saturday Night Live), both of which I thought were excellent books. The CAA one is not quite as good, partially because it is difficult to keep track of all the people involved whom I have never heard of before, but parts of it are pretty interesting.

Just started Armageddon Rag by George RR Martin

In the early 80's, a band manager and record producer with its heydays in the 60's and knowing its ending glory in 71 gets brutally murdered in his house in Maine.

An ex-rock critic is down on the business...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Just started Armageddon Rag by George RR Martin
    Read that a few years ago. Enjoyed it a lot. Good stuff.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

That was one of my first GRRM books, many years before GoT.

Just started Bruce Springsteen's new autobiography. Very interesting so far.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Razor Girl, a new novel by Carl Hiaasen

Devils Will Reign: How Nevada Began, a history by Sally Zanjani
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Razor Girl, a new novel by Carl Hiaasen
    I'll have to check that one out. Carl's always been in the vein of Elmore Leonard Lite, but entertaining nonetheless. I introduced my son to his writing last year through his tween series.

Currently wrapping up Bruce Springsteen's autobiography, Born to Run. Pete Townshend should've taken some pointers from the Boss...
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Finished Rick Wakeman's Grumpy Old Rock Star and Other Wondrous Stories. Now reading Further Adventures Of A Grumpy Old Rock Star. Funny tales and amazing he is alive.

What are you currently reading?

Picked up one I that I had never read before Le Carre's "The Spy Who Came In From The Cold", what a great story and so evocatively told, and although set in a world half s decade ago, it's still so compelling.

Other than that I'm half way through Springsteen's tome and although not a huge fan, only have Born To Run and a hits collection, I am enjoying it. He writes very well and seems a decent and grounded guy, and I'll probably explore his music further as a result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk