Page 108 of 177 FirstFirst ... 85898104105106107108109110111112118158 ... LastLast
Results 2,676 to 2,700 of 4404

Thread: What are you currently reading?

My Life Among the Serial Killers: Inside the Minds of the World's Most Notorious Murderers by Helen Morrison

About a third of the way through this fascinating read. Morrison has spent her professional career interviewing and profiling
    multiple murderers. Over 80 total. These are extensive interviews that span months sometimes. So far she has talked about
    Richard Macek, Ed Gein, and John Wayne Gacy. Each of these men had up to 400 hours of questioning and conversation with
    Morrison. Fair to say she has more than a little bit of insight to offer the reader. Highly recommended! I look forward to the rest.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

I'm burning through The Lager Queen of Minnesota, an entrancing tale of two estranged sisters and the granddaughter of one of them. It's a compelling tale, a fast read, and it makes me damn thirsty.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Still reading the autobiography of Achim Reichel. A great read about a great musician and some musicians being involved in things one wouldn't expect, like James Last producing Wonderland.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    My Life Among the Serial Killers: Inside the Minds of the World's Most Notorious Murderers by Helen Morrison

About a third of the way through this fascinating read. Morrison has spent her professional career interviewing and profiling
    multiple murderers. Over 80 total. These are extensive interviews that span months sometimes. So far she has talked about
    Richard Macek, Ed Gein, and John Wayne Gacy. Each of these men had up to 400 hours of questioning and conversation with
    Morrison. Fair to say she has more than a little bit of insight to offer the reader. Highly recommended! I look forward to the rest.
    That one sounds right up my alley. Will have to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    That one sounds right up my alley. Will have to check it out.
    If you have a Kindle, it's only 3.99 on Amazon
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    If you have a Kindle, it's only 3.99 on Amazon
    Yup, I ordered it this afternoon.

The Confession of Saint Patrick
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Even though my Kindle queue is probably half a dozen deep, I'm re-reading Kliph Nesteroff's The Comedians. It's so deep and well-researched that I felt I needed to give it another read. If you're interested in stand-up, sketch or even the old time vaudeville and burlesque days, this is a tremendous history.

I just finished A.G. Riddle's Winter World, book 1 of his Long Winter trilogy, on the recommendation of our own Hal.

From GoodReads: A new ice age... and a shocking discovery...
    will change humanity forever.

In the near future, a new ice age has begun.

Humanity stands on the brink of extinction.

Desperate for answers, scientists send probes into the solar system to take readings. Near Mars, a probe spots a mysterious object drifting toward the Sun. Is it the cause of the ice age? Or could it be our only hope of survival?

With time running out, NASA launches an international mission to make contact with the object. But it isn’t what anyone thought. In the dark of space, alone, the team makes a shocking discovery that will change the course of human history—and possibly end it.

I liked it. A good sci-fi thriller, with well-written characters and a solid story. Moving on to book 2.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    Even though my Kindle queue is probably half a dozen deep, I'm re-reading Kliph Nesteroff's The Comedians. It's so deep and well-researched that I felt I needed to give it another read. If you're interested in stand-up, sketch or even the old time vaudeville and burlesque days, this is a tremendous history.
    I have that one in my queue as well along with about 20 other books. I'll get to it eventually.

I am currently reading "Area 51: The Uncensored History Of America's Top Secret Military Base" by Annie Jacobson. It is very interesting so far.

St Augustine, The City of God. This should finish my Lenten reading for the year...

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by dt2 View Post
    Solar Lottery by Philip K. Dick
    [emoji106]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

I finished Achim Reichel - Ich hab das Paradies gesehen and he mentions a member of Progressive Ears in this book.

I am currently reading "Mindhunter - Inside The FBI's Elite Serial Crime Unit". This is the book that the Netflix TV series was based on. Very interesting stuff so far.

Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel García Márquez

Just finished The Race, by Nina Allan. Overall, an intriguing read, but let down by a very poor middle section. I eventually figured that the novel was something of an homage to Chip Delany's Babel-17 — which I've just started to reread (for the first time in 20 years or so).

Pleasingly, an avatar of M John Harrison makes a cameo appearance towards the end of Allan's book...

Monolithic Undertow-In Search of Sonic Oblivion-Harry Sword
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by dt2 View Post
    Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel García Márquez
    I recently reread that one together with 100 Years Of Solitude, both are spellbinding story telling from a master of the art.

I have an ever-growin* queue of Kindle books, I can never resist a classic on their daily deal. Consequently I find myself revisiting many old favourites, and they seldom disappoint.

I picked up two books by Ben Watt recently, he from Everything But The Girl. The first, Patient, is a riveting read of his near death experience with an ultra-rare disease. The second, Romany And Tom, is an honest reflection on his parents, growing up and ageing, and is an unusually captivating read. He writes with clear-sight and feeling, and even if they are not something you might gravitate towards, I have found them both surprising.

Next on my list: Lost Souls - A Fictional Journey Through 50 Years Of Pink Floyd by rock-journalist Edwin Ammerlaan, who's been writing a biography on Saga.

Ammerlaan was asked to write a biography on Pink Floyd, but although he felt honoured he declined because he felt he had nothing to add to all the books written on the band already.

In stead he did the following:

After years of journalistic research and meticulous preparation, Edwin Ammerlaan has combined many facts, quotes and events from 50 years of Pink Floyd with a fictional, yet compelling coming-of-age story. By doing so, he gives the reader an intimate and unique perspective on one of the most successful bands in music history.

In Lost Souls protagonist Matt accidentally bumps into Pink Floyd on a ferry from Ibiza to Formentera. What follows is a lifelong fascination for all things Floyd and, eventually, acceptance into the band’s inner circle. Travelling the globe, Matt meets a lot of interesting people, including Syd Barrett, Roger Waters, David Gilmour, Richard Wright, Nick Mason, Steve O’Rourke, Ginger Gilmour, Snowy White, Polly Samson, Tim Renwick, sir Bob Geldof and many others. Matt joins Pink Floyd on tour, in the studio and even on the golf course, building a fragile bond of trust and friendship with the band along the way.

Following Matt on his musical journey, we revisit some relevant moments in Pink Floyd history: Formentera (1967), The Paradiso, Amsterdam (1968), Charlton Park, Bishopsbourne (1970), Abbey Road Studios (1971), USA & Canada tour (1973), Wembley Empire Pool (1977), Super Bear Studios (June 1979), Wembley Stadium (1988), Potsdamer Platz, Berlin (1990), The Astoria (1994), Live 8 (2005), O2 Arena (2011), Berkeley Hotel (2017) and the Victoria & Albert Museum (2017).

Dreams and Wishes, a collection of essays by Susan Cooper (author of the "Dark is Rising" sequence). What's cool, beside the book, is that I bought it cheap used online - and it turned out to be an inscribed copy.

An Indigenous Peoples' History of The United States-Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide