Page 100 of 176 FirstFirst ... 509096979899100101102103104110150 ... LastLast
Results 2,476 to 2,500 of 4383

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Boceephus View Post
    Neil Gaiman’s Norse Mythology

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I've had my eye on this one. Let us know how it is after you finish it.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    After finishing this one I started re-reading The Last Days Of Night, the novel Graham Moore wrote 4 years ago about the current-war. It was supposted to get an adaption for film, with Eddie Redmayne in the leading role, but apart from some promotional shots, nothing has been released yet.
    Just started reading The Holdout, the new book by Graham Moore. After the The Sherlockian (2010), a modern thriller inspired by Arthur Conan Doyle and the The Last Days Of Night about the current-war, this new book is a legal thriller.
    https://www.goodreads.com/nl/book/sh...17-the-holdout

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I've had my eye on this one. Let us know how it is after you finish it.
    I’m about 5 Chapters in & I really like it. A lot of subtle humor and fable like story telling. It flows along quickly and holds your attention. It’s a series of tales relating to the actual stories passed down over generations.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I've had my eye on this [Gaiman's Norse Mythology]. Let us know how it is after you finish it.
    I read it several months ago and really, really enjoyed it - but I've always been a bit of a fan of those stories. Gaiman tells them well and truly and with an utterly appropriate dash of humor.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Boceephus View Post
    I’m about 5 Chapters in & I really like it. A lot of subtle humor and fable like story telling. It flows along quickly and holds your attention. It’s a series of tales relating to the actual stories passed down over generations.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    I read it several months ago and really, really enjoyed it - but I've always been a bit of a fan of those stories. Gaiman tells them well and truly and with an utterly appropriate dash of humor.
    Thanks guys. Sounds like one to pick up.

Now reading: Samuel R. Delany, Shoat Rumblin: His Ideas And Sensations. Kind of a gay picaresque, with a lot of sex that is not my cup of tea (not being gay) but incredibly well-written, as with all Delany's work.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    The Invention Of Sound by Chuck Palahniuk

Led Zeppelin III (50 years since its initial release)
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Reading Rob Halford's new autobiography. Really enjoying it so far.

Evil Geniuses - Kurt Anderson

When She Was Good, the new Michael Robotham. Since his first novel, The Suspect from 2003, Robotham is one of my favorite writers of thrillers.

Just finished Steve Hackett's book. I enjoyed it a lot. Now reading Colin Powel's autobiography.

I finished that Marlon James book....it was....interesting. I'm not put off by graphic violence, depictions of gay sex, vulgarity in general, though those issues are on full display. But I struggled somewhat with his dialect, the way he wrote various patois....and I found the plot line a bit hard to grasp more than once. I'd say it's a good book, but....not a masterpiece by my reckoning.

Now reading David Mitchell's newest novel, as well as Carolyn Forche's latest volume of poems, which is staggeringly great.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

^^^ I don't think you're supposed to completely get the plot line. It's apparently the first of a trilogy, in which each book are going to tell "the same" story from different points of view. So no one character has the full picture. Kind of like Rashomon.

^^^^makes sense.

I will likely read the next two.......
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Just finished Dune, again. Now onto Messiah, second book of the series.
    The new movie has been pushed back to October 2021.

Just finished A Man of Honor: The Autobiography of Joseph Bonanno. Wow, if ever there was a book with an ironic title. Honor among thieves, I guess.

Up next is All the Gallant Men by Donald Stratton. It's the memoir of a survivor of the USS Arizona.

I've been reading a lot of non-fiction lately (including advertising booklets, pamphlets, and flyers on Medicare - damn, my head hurts). Will get back to horror and crime fiction soon.
    Last edited by Lopez; 10-17-2020 at 08:26 AM.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Just finished A Man of Honor: The Autobiography of Joseph Bonanno. Wow, if ever there was a book with an ironic title. Honor among thieves, I guess.

Up next is All the Gallant Men by Donald Stratton. It's the memoir of a survivor of the USS Arizona.

I've been reading a lot of non-fiction lately (including advertising booklets, pamphlets, and flyers on Medicare - damn, my head hurts). Will get back to horror and crime fiction soon.
    It has been a while, but I read "Man Of Honor". Very interesting book. Of course law enforcement have a different perspective from Mr. Bonanno, but I really enjoyed the book.

Symphony for the City of the Dead: Dmitri Shostakovich and the Siege of Leningrad

The Rise of Magicks, the conclusion to Nora Roberts's epic post-apocalyptic fantasy trilogy. The first two book were pretty good. So far, this one is meh, but I'll finish it and see if it gets any better.

I'm about to start The Roadie by Kim Payne, one of the roadies to the original Allman Brothers Band.

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    I'm about to start The Roadie by Kim Payne, one of the roadies to the original Allman Brothers Band.
    That sounds like something I would like. I will have to look it up.