Thread: What are you currently reading?

Back to Virginia Woolf, with Flush: A Biography -- being a biography of Elizabeth Barrett Browning's beloved spaniel.
    Yemen hardly ever exports cookies.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Just started "Unrequited Infatuations, A Memoir" from Steve Van Zant from the E Street Band / Sopranos fame. Pretty interesting so far. The guy obviously has an ego and places himself at the center of much of Bruce's (and other people's) success, but he has done a lot in his career. At one point he talks about rock n roll in general and admits that he does not understand prog rock and that world is pretty much alien to him other than a few very early bands like Procol Harum. On the other hand, in the 70's he discovered classical music which he loves. I read Springsteen's book a few years ago and it is interesting to compare some of the stories from different points of view. I have not gotten to the acting part of Van Zant's career yet.
    I enjoyed this book very much. I ignored the chapter on his political views and recommendations.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Currently reading Joe Lansdale's Of Mice and Minestrone. The early years of the Hap and Leonard friendship.
    Lou

Louis L’Amour- Grub Line Rider
    I love westerns and watched a bunch when Covid hit. This is my first book of his.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    I enjoyed this book very much. I ignored the chapter on his political views and recommendations.
    Not sure that I have gotten to that chapter yet, although I did just finish a chapter where he was talking about politics in his music after he left the E-street band in the 80's. As you say, I am enjoying the book a lot, but man is Van Zant full of himself at times.

He does have a vast knowledge of basic rock n roll though especially the 50's & 60's. I occasionally listen to his Sirius XM channel and appreciate the fact that he tries to give a lot of new bands exposure.

Reading Ugly Beauty: Jazz in the 21st Century by Phil Freeman.
    He has the blog and podcasts known as Burning Ambulance.

Little snippets about various current names like James Brandon Lewis, Tomeka Reid, Nicole Mitchell, Wayne Escoffery,Linda May Han Oh...so far, nothing earthshaking but good fodder for investigating some new music.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

That Woolf was really short ... now a great big Stephen King (The Institute) for a serious change of pace...

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    That Woolf was really short ... now a great big Stephen King (The Institute) for a serious change of pace...
    I hardly ever read fiction anymore, but did read The Institute and really enjoyed it. It is classic King.

Inside Animal Hearts and Minds- Belinda Recio

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I finished over the last few weeks:
    Salman Rushdie - The Satanic verses (good, got more out of it then 30 years ago)
    Kim Stanley Robinson - Red Mars (liked it but I dont love it)
    Kazuo Ishiguro - Never let me go (very good!)

Now started
    Neal Stephenson - Snow Crash (just read the first chapter. Pizza delivery with a death penalty when you deliver too late. Intriguing at least)

Finished the Steve Van Zant book. Enjoyed it for the most part.

Just started "Where's My Guitar - An Inside Story Of British Rock N Roll" from Bernie Marsden. Don't know a ton about Marsden other than his time with Whitesnake, but so far I am enjoying it.

Just started: Roots and Branches, a collection of papers on Tolkien by Tom Shippey (author of The Road to Middle-earth and Author of the Century)

Started How Music Works by David Byrne
    Interesting so far. Not academic, but it's obvious he has thought about the subject a lot.
    I finished Bill Frisell: Beautiful Dreamer last night, finally.
    Gave me lots of cd selections to look up, many are OOP, but the hunt is on.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Unknown

Quarry's Blood by Max Allan Collins

Supposed to be the last in the 50-year run of Quarry novels about the hitman who targets other hitmen and the persons who hired them. The TV series based on the character was good but fizzled out.
    Lou

Earlier tonight I finished my second Jack Reacher book "the hard way." I read the first one before that. Not bad for thriller/mystery but I don't have the desire to read any more in the series.
    You can't take a photograph of Uzis on a street corner.

Currently reading Heretics Of Dune. I picked up the original 6 Dune books as a bundle for my iPad. Read all of them at least once, the original 3 twice, but the last 3 are feeling fresh; especially the last 2.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

The eons are closing
    Enjoy! iMO - The 2nd three are even more powerful the OG three.

------------

Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Enjoy! iMO - The 2nd three are even more powerful the OG three.
    Yeah.. God Emperor is full of quotables, but Herbert seems to become somewhat obssessed with sexuality later in the series.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Yeah.. God Emperor is full of quotables, but Herbert seems to become somewhat obssessed with sexuality later in the series.
    That seems to have been a common disease of "Golden Age" SF writers -- Heinlein became obsessed with sexuality and especially tits; Asimov was just a dirty old man. Of the really big names of that period, only Clarke seems to have avoided this -- and he was gay.

Just sayin'.

If you've read them before, then you know that the sixth one ends on a rather mysterious cliffhanger. The "Dune Industries" team of Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson have written a two-volume conclusion to this, based (or so they say) on an outline for "Dune 7" left by Frank. The books are Hunters of Dune and Sandworms of Dune.

However...

...to really follow what is going on in those books, you kind of have to have read their "Legends of Dune" trilogy, set ten thousand years before the original Dune; characters from that trilogy reappear (and, yes, even after tens of thousands of years, it does make sense, within the parameters of the Duniverse). Of the many Dune prequels they have [S]churned out[/S] written since taking on Daddy Herbert's poorly-fitting mantle, this trilogy is probably the best.

I am not encouraging you to read any of these. Neither am I discouraging you. I'm ... informing.

That seems to have been a common disease of "Golden Age" SF writers -- Heinlein became obsessed with sexuality and especially tits; Asimov was just a dirty old man. Of the really big names of that period, only Clarke seems to have avoided this -- and he was gay.
    Interesting... I never knew that, about any of those guys actually. I've read stuff by Clarke and Asimov, but have yet to actually read any of the Dune books (the first one is sitting on my "to read" shelf currently).

it does make sense, within the parameters of the Duniverse
    "Duniverse" -- I love that.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I hadn't heard that Clarke was gay - kind of surprising, really.

I finished Peter Straub's Floating Dragon today. I thought it was just Ok. Well written, but he uses one technique that really bothered me, and the overall story, while it drew me in, becomes too convoluted and sort of more like a fantasy novel than horror. Some good characters and character interaction though.

Now I've just started Swan Song by Robert R. McCammon. My first book by him.
    Primary procreation is accomplished…

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I finished Peter Straub's Floating Dragon today. I thought it was just Ok. Well written, but he uses one technique that really bothered me, and the overall story, while it drew me in, becomes too convoluted and sort of more like a fantasy novel than horror. Some good characters and character interaction though.
    Actually reading this right now. I'm about 80 pages in.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

I
    I remember reading "Swan Song" many many many years ago and really liking it. I read another one of his book too that I thought was good, but don't remember what it was. I hardly ever read fiction anymore, but he was great at what he did.

Good stuff! One of the great apocalyptic novels.
    Lou

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Actually reading this right now. I'm about 80 pages in.
    Finish it - I'll be interested to hear what you think. I enjoyed his writing. Also, both this and Swan Song (more obviously) have elements about an apocalypse and epidemics, so strangely appropriate for these days.
    Primary procreation is accomplished…