Page 92 of 177 FirstFirst ... 4282888990919293949596102142 ... LastLast
Results 2,276 to 2,300 of 4404

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Nice book for lovers of album-covers & music in general: Classic Albums By Women.
    The albums are choosen by musicians like Nick Mason and Matt Johnson, designers, DJ's, composers, writers (Joe Boyd) etc.

About a 1/3 of the way thru the recently released In the Court of King Crimson.. I never read the first edition but from what I read on whichever thread it was discussed recently this new edition has been re-written vs. updated. A lot of this stuff I already knew but there are some real gems in terms of stories various band members share with Sid. Looking forward to plowing thru this bit of history.

Just started re-reading Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse-Five.

"So it goes."

I was perusing the books in the entertainment section of the Boston Public Library a week or so ago and came across The Infamous Cherry Sisters: The Worst Act in Vaudeville by Darryl Bullock (2019). I know next to nothing about vaudeville and never heard of the Cherry Sisters, who were from Cedar Rapids, Iowa. I'm about halfway through, and, wow, were these five sisters awful. They were so bad that they played to full houses every night. People just had to see how terrible they were. They did original song and dance and living tableaux of famous scenes (like the statue of Liberty) and events. They sang off key and out of tune and sued every writer and paper that gave bad reviews. People would bring rotten fruit and vegetables and dead animals to pelt the sisters at each performance. Produce vendors would set up shop outside the theater so people could buy stuff to throw. Theater owners tacitly approved such shenanigans, because they were making a bundle. Like in the Blues Brothers movie, the Cherrys often performed behind a wire net to keep from being injured. Some say they were truly naive and didn't realize how awful they were, and others say they knew exactly what they were doing. "There's no such thing as bad publicity," and all that. Man, what a tough way to pay off the mortgage.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Orlando, by Virginia Woolf. Wow, this is really different from everything else I've read by her...
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Orlando, by Virginia Woolf. Wow, this is really different from everything else I've read by her...
    Interesting. I'm halfway through To the Lighthouse, which I assumed I wouldn't like since wasn't at all a fan of Mrs. Dalloway when I was 20. I thought I'd try her maybe more well-known book and this time I find it interesting for what it is.

The House On Half Moon Street. No, this is not a forgotten Edgar Allan Poe-story, although it does take place in the 19th century. It's written by Alex Reeve (originally released in 2018, Dutch translation, oddly called (translated) The Chess Player And The Girl). This original thriller is about a man in a woman's body (which he has to keep a secret of course) who's girlfriend, a hooker, is being killed, for which crime he is the first suspect. Oh, and he's an coroner's assistant.

Ahh, all new books are read, so I had to fall back to my own library and picked up High Fidelity for my daily train-trips and Hotel New Hampshire for the couch. The Nick Hornby-book I've read two times already, but I had to get rid of the scenes I saw from the new tv-series. The John Irving-book I've read in 1984 and since I just saw the movie a couple of times. Not the best film based on a novel by Irving (too much slapstick in this one).

all new books are read
    I never understand this phrase. Then again, I accumulate faster than I consume. Here's just one corner of my office.

reading piles.jpg
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I'm reading Escalante's Dream by David Roberts, about the Dominguez-Escalante Spanish exploration expedition of the Southwest in 1776. I need to read fast, because I have a couple good ones on deck: The Age Of Anxiety, a novel by Pete Townshend and (an English translation of the sci-fi novel) The Three-Body Problem by Cixin Liu.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I never understand this phrase. Then again, I accumulate faster than I consume. Here's just one corner of my office.

reading piles.jpg
    You're right, I should have written: all new bought books are read. Most of the time I have a pile of new unread bought books, but sometimes the supply suddenly stops.... Which, in fact, could be a good thing: just like records you can enjoy a book more than once

Dead Astronauts by Jeff Vandermeer

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post

reading piles.jpg
    That's the beauty of the Kindle. I have about a hundred on my on deck circle there with no visual reminder.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

I am attempting to tackle "The Rise And Fall Of The 3rd Reich". It is a massive book, but I have never read it. So far it is very interesting.

Just started Brian May's book.. it'll be interesting to compare his story to the one portrayed in the Freddie Mercury movie..

That is a GREAT book. It might be better to get the audiobook version though. The narrator is very good, which makes all the difference to me. All of it is based on incomprehensibly immense archives of documents directly from the relevant German sources. And while it's quite an epic journey to get through that whole immense tome, it's seldom a dull experience.

[EDIT] This is in reference to "The Rise And Fall Of The 3rd Reich", of course, and not Brian May.
    Last edited by Koreabruce; 02-22-2020 at 11:57 PM.

Started Sid Smith's In the Court of King Crimson. Only 50 pages in, but loving it.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

And I'm about a hundred pages into the same book. Fascinatin' stuff and definitely does not hagiographize Fripp.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Primitive by J F Gonzalez
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Just started Brian May's book.. it'll be interesting to compare his story to the one portrayed in the Freddie Mercury movie..
    I wasn't aware of this. I'll have to check it out. Thanks!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Just started reading David Hepworth's new book A Fabulous Creation - How The LP Saved Our Lives.
    Although the writer is 10 years older than I am (he was 17 when Sgt Pepper was released) I think I will enjoy the nostalgic trip to the time I bought my weekly LP's and played them over and over again. Still have them b.t.w.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Finished Naked Came The Florida Man by Tim Dorsey. Starting Time Is Tight by Booker T. Jones.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Just finished Double Feature by Donald Westlake.

Just started Zombie Love by Ray Garton.

On deck So Here It Is autobiography of Dave Hill, Slade's silver nun guitar player.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

The Nickel Boys by Colson Whitehead.

Mom's had King's Finder's Keeper's sitting here for years. Not sure why as she's not into him but I stole it and read it. Knew I was missing something with all the references to another book.

Turns out it's the sequel to Mr. Mercedes, which I had totally forgotten for some odd reason. I had wanted to do this anyway as the series is advertised all the time and since I had forgotten it I thought what the hell. So I wen't back and read that but alas, it's a trilogy and I'm missing book three.

Not cool, man.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000