Page 111 of 177 FirstFirst ... 1161101107108109110111112113114115121161 ... LastLast
Results 2,751 to 2,775 of 4412

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    That is really cool. Good luck with it.
    Thank you, I’ll be sure to share on this thread one of these months!

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Well, you know a lot of us aren't into prog all the time, so I hope it's be a pleasant surprise.
    My tastes span all over the place too, and SonicBond have the prog well covered! I have a few in mind that I would like to do, and although you initially think it will be easy, it’s pretty hard actually finding the time and doing it justice. A year ago when lockdown first hit I wasn’t working quite so hard, but now my diary is chock full again, and I need to be more rigid with myself and focus on targets. I have to complete one, before they’ll consider me for another!

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    The Neil Gaiman Reader

Finally finished the monstrous Jamaican book. For purposes of relaxation am now reading an OZ book.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Neil Young's Waging Heavy Peace. It's okay so far, sort of diary or blog postings, and a bit self-promotional, but interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Neil Young's Waging Heavy Peace. It's okay so far, sort of diary or blog postings, and a bit self-promotional, but interesting.
    I read that one. Thought it was just ok. As a series of stories and ramblings it was ok, but if looking for a biography, the book "Shaky" is a lot better.

That is one brilliant book. I've never read anything less than "really good" by the late Ms. Butler (and I've read almost everything she published).

Jess Walter: The Cold Millions (in a Dutch translation). I became aware of Walters novels some years ago when the post 9/11-book The Zero (2006) was published. I then started collecting his other (translated) works too. A good storyteller.

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by dt2 View Post
    Kindred by Octavia E. Butler
    I enjoyed that one

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Over the past year my iPhone had me in its grip, biggly. I hadn’t read a book at all. But I finally managed to shake its grip in the past week, and read Never Let Me Go, by Kazuo Ishiguro. I liked it, though it’s a strange combination of dystopian fiction and a novel of manners. Like if Jane Austen had written Brave New World or This Perfect Day. Now I’m moving on to Way Station, by Clifford D. Simak.

Just started "They Just Seem A Little Weird - How Kiss, Cheap Trick, Aerosmith, and Starz Remade Rock And Roll". Just finished Jim Gray "Talking To GOATS" which was a very interesting semi-autobiography from the sportscaster. He has been in the middle of several huge sports stories and people over the years.

Still on light reading. Did Seanan McGuire's latest "Wayward Children" book, and am now enjoying the hell out of We Are Legion (We Are Bob), the first book of the Bobiverse. Silly and heavy at the same time.

Black Metal and Black Metal: The Cult Never Dies, Vol. 1 by Dayal Patterson. Well researched and insightful history of Black Metal. Dayal chronologically traces the growth and evolution of the genre from birth through current day. I highly recommend for fans of the genre.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

George Eliot's The Mill on the Floss

I've been binging on the complete Sherlock Holmes oeuvre since I can listen to most of them for free through my Audible account. Funny thing is, I *thought* I'd read many of these in the past, but now that I'm 3/4 of the way through this journey, I can't say that I can recall a single story that I was familiar with, so it's been one long and grand voyage of discovery. Derek Jacobi reads many of them, and he brings Holmes, Watson, and most of the other British characters to life with aplomb (though not so much with any character that requires an American accent). I've got a few more episodes plus 2 of the 4 novels to get to yet, but I can clearly see myself re-visiting these often.

Just got and started reading Samuel R. Delany's new essay collection, Occasional Views vol 1. I'm always grateful for any new Delany and, so far, this is excellent stuff.

My Life in Garbology by A. J. Weberman. Fun stuff from the 60s activist, Dylanologist, and celebrity garbage picker.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Yesterday I finally finished the Supersister biography, which was a great read. Alas for most of you it is written in Dutch. Taking a Dutch language course to be able to read this book, might be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by dt2 View Post
    Toll the Hounds by Steven Erikson
    One of these days I need to reread the last three in the series.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Been rummaging through my books (because the shelf broke) and I’m reading First Man - The Life of Neil Armstrong

Started reading Robbie Robertson's Testimony this weekend.. Looks like this will be a great read.
    Robbie.jpg

Our local library reopens today for unrestricted browsing; it was by appointment only for the past few months. I'll be heading out there soon. Looking forward to see what's available.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

The Lifted Veil , by George Eliot - the first SF story ever written? - stunning, either way.