Page 82 of 177 FirstFirst ... 327278798081828384858692132 ... LastLast
Results 2,026 to 2,050 of 4416

Thread: What are you currently reading?

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    The "Roadside Geology" series is also good. I have the one for Hawaii.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    The "Roadside Geology" series is also good.I have the one for Hawaii.
    Agree.Haven't read the Hawaii issue.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Just received What Goes On: The Beatles,Their Music and Their Time, by Walter Everett and Tim Riley.I'll take the plunge tomorrow.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Just started Howard Stern's latest book, "Howard Stern Comes Again". Love him or hate him, Stern knows how to conduct an interview and this book is mostly re-prints of interviews he has done with various interesting people over the years with additional comments from Howard. I am finding it very interesting, but not too far into it yet.

Paul Myers - A Wizard, A True Star: Todd Rundgren in the Studio

Just started Edge of Dark Water by Joe Lansdale. It's a few years old; I'm trying to catch up on those I've missed. Love it so far. Like in his The Bottoms, there's a mysterious Boo Radley kind of character that everyone has heard of but no one's seen. As much as I like Joe's Hap and Leonard books, it's good to read a book of his with a different voice.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

^^ Lansdale is a national treasure.

Currently reading Letters from Amherst, by Samuel R. Delany. Five long, chatty letters from the '80s and '90s. Very amiable, personal stuff. Probably not recommended if you are not already a Delany fan.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    Paul Myers - A Wizard, A True Star: Todd Rundgren in the Studio
    Interested in hearing your thoughts on this one.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Just started Edge of Dark Water by Joe Lansdale. It's a few years old; I'm trying to catch up on those I've missed. Love it so far. Like in his The Bottoms, there's a mysterious Boo Radley kind of character that everyone has heard of but no one's seen. As much as I like Joe's Hap and Leonard books, it's good to read a book of his with a different voice.
    Lansdale's such a pleasure to read. I wish I had all his Horror.

Nightscape by Stephen R. George
    Published 1992
    Last edited by Crawford Glissadevil; 07-19-2019 at 10:54 AM.

The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Nighttime... a very different book I borrowed off my girlfriend. It's about an autistic 15 year old boy who sets out to discover who murdered his neighbour's poodle...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    About 250 pages into David B. Coe's last of the "Winds of the Forelands" series, "Weavers of War". Really enjoyed this series, can't wait to see how it wraps out!

About halfway through Toni Morrison's Beloved. I don't often read Nobel prize winning books. This one actually probably deserved it.

Death Stone by Ruby Jean Jensen
    Published 1989

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Nighttime... a very different book I borrowed off my girlfriend. It's about an autistic 15 year old boy who sets out to discover who murdered his neighbour's poodle...
    Very funny, but also at times sad book by Mark Haddon (who recently published a new book called The Porpoise. (Haven't read that one yet, but it's on the pile of recently bought new books.)

B.t.w. some years ago The Curious Incident (...) was addapted to a stage play.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    About halfway through Toni Morrison's Beloved. I don't often read Nobel prize-winning books. This one actually probably deserved it.
    I read it in one of my English Lit classes back in the 90s. Excellent work absolutely deserving of all the accolades.

Read The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. Not great literature, perhaps, but kept me interested enough to plow through all 900 some pages.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    Read The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. Not great literature, perhaps, but kept me interested enough to plow through all 900 some pages.
    Read that a few years ago and enjoyed it immensely. Never knew before what went into the building of European cathedrals.
    Lou

Finished Beloved. Just ...wow. Beautiful, emotional, and creepy AF.

(Now reading some junk food books.)

Been getting into crime and detective novels lately. Had heard a lot about Jim Thompson. I read his first novel Now and On Earth (1942) and didn't like it. But I am persistent and am now reading his Pop. 1280 about a small-town chief of police in Texas. This one I am enjoying, and I can see from where Joe Lansdale got some of his style.
    Lou

Gustav Meyrink - Golem (written ~1907- 1914)

A classic!

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Very funny, but also at times sad book by Mark Haddon (who recently published a new book called The Porpoise. (Haven't read that one yet, but it's on the pile of recently bought new books.)

B.t.w. some years ago The Curious Incident (...) was addapted to a stage play.

It was a very quick read. I liked it well enough. I would be curious to see the play as I don't know how all the content would translate.

Mine by Robert R. McCammon
    Published 1990
    Winner of the 1990 Bram Stoker Award for Best Novel

Quote Originally Posted by Crawford Glissadevil View Post
    Mine by Robert R. McCammon
    Published 1990
    Winner of the 1990 Bram Stoker Award for Best Novel
    Read this one when it was published. Quite different from his fantasy-stuff.
    If you like the theme you also might like The Secrets She Keeps from Michael Robotham: http://www.michaelrobotham.com/index...cret+she+keeps

I just started reading a little book in Bloomsbury 33 1/3-series: Clare Nina Norelli's Soundtrack From Twin Peaks

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Read this one when it was published. Quite different from his fantasy-stuff.
    If you like the theme you also might like The Secrets She Keeps from Michael Robotham: http://www.michaelrobotham.com/index...cret+she+keeps

I just started reading a little book in Bloomsbury 33 1/3-series: Clare Nina Norelli's Soundtrack From Twin Peaks

Thanks for the heads up!

Reading "Red Sister", book 1 from "the Ancestor" series by Mark Lawrence... It reads like many coming-of-age fantasy series, but I like his writing style so I'm digging right in.