Page 107 of 177 FirstFirst ... 75797103104105106107108109110111117157 ... LastLast
Results 2,651 to 2,675 of 4416

Thread: What are you currently reading?

A few books I recently finished:

Ian Christe - Sound of the Beast: The Complete Headbanging History of Heavy Metal
    The author's last name is pretty ironic for the subject matter, assuming that is his real name.

Anthony Daniels - I Am C-3PO: The Inside Story
    A book of memoirs about his life-long association with Star Wars.

Bob Duff - The First Season: 1917-18 and the Birth of the NHL
    The title pretty much says it all.

Yesterday I just read the first graphic novel collections of The Woods and Descender, and both were pretty great. I think both series have already finished so I should be able to binge read both over the next couple of months.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad 2 the Bone View Post
    A few books I recently finished:

Ian Christe - Sound of the Beast: The Complete Headbanging History of Heavy Metal
    The author's last name is pretty ironic for the subject matter, assuming that is his real name.

Anthony Daniels - I Am C-3PO: The Inside Story
    A book of memoirs about his life-long association with Star Wars.

Bob Duff - The First Season: 1917-18 and the Birth of the NHL
    The title pretty much says it all.

Yesterday I just read the first graphic novel collections of The Woods and Descender, and both were pretty great. I think both series have already finished so I should be able to binge read both over the next couple of months.
    Those all 3 sound interesting to me. I will have to check into them.

Reaper's Gale (Malazan Book of the Fallen #7) by Steven Erikson

Began reading the second volume of Theodore Dreiser's Desire Trilogy. I liked the first volume, of course, it reads rather slowly, but the plot is interesting.

Lenten reading: Dorothy Sayers's The Man Born to Be King, a cycle of 12 radio plays giving the life of Jesus, mostly from the point of view of people around him. Also the Collected Works of Flannery O'Connor.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Currently reading "These Truths" by Jill Lepore. It is a history of the United States written from a more current perspective. Although I am pretty familiar with U.S. history this book focuses a lot more on racial issues and tells more of the perspective of minorities than I remember from my history books in school. It is a very long book and is taking a while to get through, but I am enjoying it and learning some things I did not know.

The Last Continent by Terry Pratchett

I'm pondering some Stephen Baxter next... haven't read any of his sci-fi for a few years now.....

Reaper's Gale (Malazan Book of the Fallen #7) by Steven Erikson
    Malazan is a long journey but I'll give Erikson credit - he stuck the landing on the last two books

The Last Continent by Terry Pratchett

I'm pondering some Stephen Baxter next... haven't read any of his sci-fi for a few years now.....
    One of these days I've got to read the series that Pratchett and Baxter wrote together.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    One of these days I've got to read the series that Pratchett and Baxter wrote together.
    Fair warning: it's more like Baxter than it is like Pratchett. There is some funny stuff scattered throughout, but in general it's more serious science fiction. A very different collaboration from the one with Neil Gaiman!

The Book Of Eels-Patrik Svensson
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Just ordered the autobiography of Achim Reichel and I'm planning to order the big book on Supersister some day.

Leo Blokhuis: "Berlijn - Muzikale Revolutie", a Dutch-only book, which describes the cultural (and political/sociological) development of the city Berlin from the end of The Great War to David Bowie's Berlin-trilogy. Blokhuis is a well known person in The Netherlands, especially because of his great knowledge of many sides of music. Amongst his favorite bands is The Band. He wrote many books on music, made a couple of documentaries and one novel.

Just got Tony Levin’s new book. And a 2021 calendar. And a Cd. Tonight will be a Levin-fest. I now have all 3 Levin Photography books.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Just finished Time's Eye by Stephen Baxter and Arthur C. Clarke.
    Just started Sunstorm by the same authors.

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by jellyfishfingers View Post
    Just finished Time's Eye by Stephen Baxter and Arthur C. Clarke.
    Just started Sunstorm by the same authors.
    The Light of Other Days is my fave by that duo.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    The Light of Other Days is my fave by that duo.

It has been years since I read it, but I remember really liking "Light Of Other Days" as well.

O'Connor, The Violent Bear It Away. This woman was a seriously amazing writer, but brutal.

The eons are closing
    ^^ haven't read that in almost 25 years.... perhaps another go is warranted

Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

I'm 85 pages into the 880 pages SF/fantasy-novel To Sleep In A Sea Of Stars by Christopher Paolini. The writer is known for his Eragon-books, which he began writing as a teenager.

Currently reading "The Residence - Inside The Private World Of The White House". Interesting book written by people who have served on the White House staff under various administrations.

Nearly finished Everything that Rises Must Converge, the last book Flannery O'Connor published in her lifetime. This being the Library Of America edition of her "Works", there's about 500 pages of additional material still to go, including late and (very) early stories, essays, and letters. What an amazing writer, and so dark.

Just one chapter in on Outside the Gates of Eden by Lewis Shiner. Looks to be a sweeping novel about the music scene from 1965 onwards. It's 869 pages long. I wasn't so sure it was going to be for me solely because of the length until I got to this line that convinced me this is going to be a great book: "So was a huge, loud woman named Cass, a wild man named Zalman, and a kleptomaniac named Pompa, and various other musicians and women of little or no virtue." (Though I have no idea who Pompa is.)
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Just finished "A Very Punchable Face" from Colin Jost. Jost is still pretty young for a memoir, but he has led an interesting life so far. I would think fans who like insights into Saturday Night Live would enjoy this book. I is a light easy read and often very funny.