Thread: What are you currently reading?

Our local library reopens today for unrestricted browsing; it was by appointment only for the past few months. I'll be heading out there soon. Looking forward to see what's available.
    Lou

Awarded the Krusty Brand Seal of Approval. It's not just good, it's good enough.

The Lifted Veil , by George Eliot - the first SF story ever written? - stunning, either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Our local library reopens today for unrestricted browsing; it was by appointment only for the past few months. I'll be heading out there soon. Looking forward to see what's available.
    Grabbed a couple of new books in the Hard Case Crime imprint.

A day or two ago I started Lucifer's Lottery by Edward Lee. A would-be seminary student wins a once-every-666-years lottery for a free tour of Hell. Oh-my-soul (as Little Richard once sang), I'm only 60 pages in out of 280; if Ed Lee has any insider information, I'm already looking for loopholes and the opt-out instructions.
    Lou

Awarded the Krusty Brand Seal of Approval. It's not just good, it's good enough.

A day or two ago I started Lucifer's Lottery by Edward Lee. A would-be seminary student wins a once-every-666-years lottery for a free tour of Hell. Oh-my-soul (as Little Richard once sang), I'm only 60 pages in out of 280; if Ed Lee has any insider information, I'm already looking for loopholes and the opt-out instructions.
    If you want more of this by Lee, check out his Infernal series. Infernal House, Infernal City, Infernal Angel. Lee is amazing!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Currently reading "The Last Days Of John Lennon" by James Patterson.

Silas Marner, by George Eliot.

This sounds really cool.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    Silas Marner, by George Eliot.
    Required reading in English class, my Senior year of High School. Every one else was bored to tears. I thought it was excellent.
    I like the part where Icarus hijacks the Little Red Hen.

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Chipping away at A History Of Doubt by Jennifer Hecht, and The Faith Of A Heretic by Walter Kaufmann. Both great reads and very well written.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Required reading in English class, my Senior year of High School. Every one else was bored to tears. I thought it was excellent.
    I'm loving it! On a project, reading all her novels in order - so far, each one marks a significant step up from its predecessor(s). She is some writer!!

The Girl With Seven Names: My Escape From North Korea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Started reading a recent Dutch translation of a Japanese novel from 2015 by Natsu Miyashita, called Hitsuji to hagane no mori (The Forest of Wool and Steel). It's about a young piano-tuner.

Killing Floor - Lee Child

This is the first book in the Jack Reacher series. I have had one of his books (the hard way) for a while(I got it for free somewhere many years ago). I decided to start at the beginning. It turns out this book, while it's the first one published in the series, is not the first one chronologically. I'm going to read it anyway then maybe check out the prequels later. So far so good(about 22 pages in at this point). I never did see the movie(s) and not sure I want to. The main character is supposed to be 6'5 and 250. Tom Cruise is five seven and how much does he weigh?
    When you list all the qualities that you despise and you realize you're describing yourself.

Romola, by George Eliot

Currently reading a book compiled by a couple of editors of the Dutch progressive rock-magazine iO Pages, called Prog2020 And Other Jubilee Years.
    It contains interviews with international musicians, partly about how their view on how Covid-19 changed their lives. Other nice features are tweets through the years from artists, labels, radio-programs etc., an overview of releases on particular days through the year, but also on that day on one of the jubilee years.

prog2020.jpg