Thread: What are you currently reading?

Nice book for lovers of album-covers & music in general: Classic Albums By Women.
    The albums are choosen by musicians like Nick Mason and Matt Johnson, designers, DJ's, composers, writers (Joe Boyd) etc.

About a 1/3 of the way thru the recently released In the Court of King Crimson.. I never read the first edition but from what I read on whichever thread it was discussed recently this new edition has been re-written vs. updated. A lot of this stuff I already knew but there are some real gems in terms of stories various band members share with Sid. Looking forward to plowing thru this bit of history.

Just started re-reading Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse-Five.

"So it goes."

I was perusing the books in the entertainment section of the Boston Public Library a week or so ago and came across The Infamous Cherry Sisters: The Worst Act in Vaudeville by Darryl Bullock (2019). I know next to nothing about vaudeville and never heard of the Cherry Sisters, who were from Cedar Rapids, Iowa. I'm about halfway through, and, wow, were these five sisters awful. They were so bad that they played to full houses every night. People just had to see how terrible they were. They did original song and dance and living tableaux of famous scenes (like the statue of Liberty) and events. They sang off key and out of tune and sued every writer and paper that gave bad reviews. People would bring rotten fruit and vegetables and dead animals to pelt the sisters at each performance. Produce vendors would set up shop outside the theater so people could buy stuff to throw. Theater owners tacitly approved such shenanigans, because they were making a bundle. Like in the Blues Brothers movie, the Cherrys often performed behind a wire net to keep from being injured. Some say they were truly naive and didn't realize how awful they were, and others say they knew exactly what they were doing. "There's no such thing as bad publicity," and all that. Man, what a tough way to pay off the mortgage.
    Lou

Awarded the Krusty Brand Seal of Approval. It's not just good, it's good enough.

Orlando, by Virginia Woolf. Wow, this is really different from everything else I've read by her...
    Maka ki ecela tehani yanke lo!

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Orlando, by Virginia Woolf. Wow, this is really different from everything else I've read by her...
    Interesting. I'm halfway through To the Lighthouse, which I assumed I wouldn't like since wasn't at all a fan of Mrs. Dalloway when I was 20. I thought I'd try her maybe more well-known book and this time I find it interesting for what it is.