Page 79 of 177 FirstFirst ... 296975767778798081828389129 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,975 of 4404

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    The Elephant of Surprise by Joe R. Lansdale
    Read that a couple weeks ago. I thought it was one Joe's better, at least of the last three or four, Hap and Leonards.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

The Baron in the Trees by Italo Calvino. An author I've been meaning to get around to since the '70s. So far, quite good.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Finished The Elephant of Surprise, which was very good, and am ready to start Space Opera by Catherynne M. Valente, recommended above.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Read that a couple weeks ago. I thought it was one Joe's better, at least of the last three or four, Hap and Leonards.
    Your back-and-forth banter convinced me to order a copy of "The Elephant of Surprise".

Manual of Psychiatric Nursing Care Planning by Margaret Jordan Halter

No, i'm not a nurse, but my mother taught Psychiatric Nursing for 35 years. Since, I love her, I honor Mom by staying current with psychiatric nursing issues.

"Emperor Of Thorns" by Mark Lawrence. Third and final book in his "Broken Empire" trilogy... Wasn't sure if I'd stick it out as his writing style can be infuriating to follow, but I love a good anti-hero and Jorg Ancrath ranks right up there with the best of them...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Crawford Glissadevil View Post
    Your back-and-forth banter convinced me to order a copy of "The Elephant of Surprise".
    I sure hope you like it. I'm a big fan of champion Joe, his ownself.
    Lou

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    OK, I should finish tonight though this highly enjoyable Rotter's Club Pt 3.... I had to drop the book for four weeks because of more urgent reading matters, but I've been devouring the second half (with a vengeance) in the last couple of days.
    Found quasi all of the protagonists of the first two books happily without having to go back and find out what they did before or who they were.
    A delightful description of the London 2012 games opening ceremony and the reactions are delicious.
    Then comes the absurdities of the Brexit and the damage it can have caused inside couples, etc...

As for Benjie's life oeuvre... I won't spoil it, but ....

As far as music is concerned, we've got more references about it than in Broken Circle (Ch 2), and there is a delectable moment where Trotter is being interviewed by a young blond female journalist as part of his book release and promotion and he speaks totally clumsily of Hatfield & The North and of prog rock in general to explain the complexity and yet accessibility of his writings... However the journo understands zilch of the concept and context and will totally misquote him, just retaining spicy but deformed scoops.

Sure, the hardback book did set me back of €26, but it was a quite enjoyable read
    Finished this yesterday and the next day Brexit got another chapter...
    Very enjoyable, with a laugh and a cry now and then (and a lot of anger too - reading what social media can do).
    In an Dutch interview Jonathan Coe told there might be a fourth chapter....

The Mammoth Book of Haunted House Stories edited by Peter Haining
    Published 2000

Including stories by: M.R. James, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Ray Bradbury, Robert Bloch, Ramsey Campbell, James Herbert, Robert Aikman, and Algernon Blackwood.

It's my habit to alternate three, palate cleansing, short stories with every novel I read. So, it takes me a while to finish a short story collection. Anyone care to share their personal reading habits?
    Last edited by Crawford Glissadevil; 05-31-2019 at 09:51 PM.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Second book of the Sandman Slim series having just finished the second Coleridge Taylor book Drop Dead Punk by Rich Zahradnik.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Got into sci-fi lately. Decided to read John Wyndham's bibliography and started with Day of the Triffids obviously. I like the concept, but the novel is outdated. I also decided to check Liu Cixin works after watching the movie The Wandering Earth which is based on his novel. Blindsight by Peter Watts was rough, but I would recommend checking it out. Its also available for free at his official site.
    Does reading reviews count? If so I'm also reading about ivms 4500 surveillance app. Can't afford to buy the discrete system for now.

Just starting Shadow Captain, Alastair Reynold's sequel to Revenger. Really liked the latter, though I thought it wrapped up perhaps a bit too quickly at the end. Be interesting to see what the next one's like.

Quote Originally Posted by clockworkangel View Post
    Got into sci-fi lately. Decided to read John Wyndham's bibliography and started with Day of the Triffids obviously. I like the concept, but the novel is outdated. I also decided to check Liu Cixin works after watching the movie The Wandering Earth which is based on his novel. Blindsight by Peter Watts was rough, but I would recommend checking it out. Its also available for free at his official site.
    Does reading reviews count? If so I'm also reading about ivms 4500 surveillance app. Can't afford to buy the discrete system for now.

Read Day of the Triffids a year ago. I was expecting a retelling of the movie. I wasn't expecting the serious philosophical-evolutionary, thesis hypothesis on a post apocalyptic scenario. Things like- Fundamental religion vs a polygamy solution, Democracy vs Authoritative Military Dictatorship. I suppose Day of the Triffids may have influenced "28 Days Later".

Quote Originally Posted by clockworkangel View Post
    Got into sci-fi lately. Decided to read John Wyndham's bibliography and started with Day of the Triffids obviously. I like the concept, but the novel is outdated.
    One of my favorite authors. Next to Jack Finney, I thought John Wyndham wrote some of the best time-travel stories (Random Quest; Consider Her Ways; Pawley's Peepholes).
    Lou

Going to start Educated while in Kona, as of tomorrow.

Voyage 31 - Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson In The Netherlands by Wouter Bessels (in Dutch)

Nice addition to Rich Wilson's book on PT.

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    Going to start Educated while in Kona, as of tomorrow.
    Normally, I'm immune to envy...but Kona! Aloha!

Childgrave by Ken Greenhall
    Published 1982

Just read two books each by Virginia Woolf (Night and Day and Monday or Tuesday) and Octavia Estelle Butler (Parable of the Sower and Parable of the Talents), all of which are really good stuff. Now reading Farah Mendlesohn's book on Robert Heinlein.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Just started a novel written in 1939 by Klaus Mann called The Vulcano (Der Vulkan).
    Very much characters to learn, so not an easy book to loose yourself in.

Been 30 years since I read it, so I am reading the entire Dune series again. Should take me a while.

Sartre's Nausea.

During my daily train-travels: If I Die Before I Wake by Emily Koch.
    Johnny Got His Gun with a twist

We have that thread on changing music habits. I wonder if anyone's reading habits have changed. I am married to a woman who loathes too much bright light (which is odd considering her vision sucks) and there is a paucity of decent light for reading in this house. I finally got a new light installed on my side of the bed. Anyway, I spend more time reading off the Kindle app on my iPad. I'm on a service (BookBub) that offers daily deals and I have accumulated far too many ebooks. But I miss the tactile sensation of turning pages. Also, as an old man I have issues with fine print. Grrrrr.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

If one habbit has changed for me it's the habbit to listen to music or to read a book, but never both at the same time. I couldn't concentrate on both at the same time.
    Through the years though I managed to do it, although I'm afraid it doesn't work well when I'm listening to a new album, which always makes me curious.
    I refuse to read e-books etc. I love a real book in my hands.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I turned pretty much exclusively to ebooks, its easier to read the text, its easier for travel & I can switch to surfing or ecomics if I want to easily.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

King's X - The Oral History