Page 131 of 177 FirstFirst ... 3181121127128129130131132133134135141 ... LastLast
Results 3,251 to 3,275 of 4413

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post
    The Road To Woodstock.
    I read this one a while ago. Good stuff. Don't really know why I'm so fascinated by Woodstock, maybe it's the skinny dipping chicks or the incredible collection of bands, but I've read just about every book about it out there including two by Elliot Tiber who had the permit allowing the event.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post
    The Road To Woodstock.
    I read that one a while back and really enjoyed it.

I just started “It’s About Time – Jeff Porcaro The Man And His Music”. This is a fairly new biography of the Toto drummer who played on dozens of big albums during his short life. The author had the blessing of Jeff’s family and did interviews with many people in his life including Jeff’s brothers. I am not too far into it yet, but I am digging it so far. One word of warning, if you buy the kindle addition, for some reason you can’t adjust the font on this book, so the writing is really small. Font adjustment is the whole reason I bought a kindle, so I find this a little bit frustrating.

The Jew Store- A Family Memoir by Stella Suberman
    I never knew about these stores in the South, dry goods stores run by Jews, also in Canada. The towns they were in had the Klan, lots of churches and were happy to have these stores.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    "I am not a Serial Killer" by Dan Wells"

Only about 50 pages in, but this book was recommended somewhere, about a boy about who's around 15 years old, and obsessed with serial killers, dissecting bodies to see the insides, etc. (his mother runs a mortuary in which he helps out), and he worries he might kill someone, so he has rules to avoid doing so. Then someone in his town is murdered, and he maybe becomes a suspect, so I think has to figure out who the real murderer is. I didn't know this until after starting it, but it's become a series of books, which is actually a little irritating, but whatever. Anyway, it's well written and surprisingly funny.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post

Only about 50 pages in, but this book was recommended somewhere, about a boy about who's around 15 years old, and obsessed with serial killers, dissecting bodies to see the insides, etc. (his mother runs a mortuary in which he helps out), and he worries he might kill someone, so he has rules to avoid doing so. Then someone in his town is murdered, and he maybe becomes a suspect, so I think has to figure out who the real murderer is. I didn't know this until after starting it, but it's become a series of books, which is actually a little irritating, but whatever. Anyway, it's well written and surprisingly funny.
    Sounds very interesting. Adding it to my Goodreads.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I just read Anthony Doerr’s Cloud Cuckoo Land, which I enjoyed immensely. It is a century spanning novel, with interconnected stories set in the far past, present and near future. It has an element of Cloud Atlas in the way it spans the years, but the content is wildly different. I really enjoyed his award winning All The Light You Cannot See, and this was certainly on a par, I fairly raced through it.

Finished All the Pretty Horses...migawd, what a brutal book.

Now relaxing with V.Woolf's second series of "Common Reader" essays.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Let us know what you think of it. I’ve seen the movie that was adapted from the book and it was pretty interesting. Didn’t play out quite the way I expected.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Finished All the Pretty Horses...migawd, what a brutal book.
    Yep, that one put me off ever reading McCarthy again.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Oddly, it didn't put me off him. I wasn't as upset by it as I was by The Road, which is less viscerally brutal but more emotionally devastating. I will probably check out the next volume of the trilogy (a true trilogy and not a three-volume novel) this was the first part of.

The Books of Jacob by Nobel laureate Olga Tokarczuk. I'm only a short way in, but it is already mesmerising.

The Stupidest Angel-Christopher Moore

^^^That is a magnificent book. Probably my favorite Christmas book, except maybe for Dickens's chestnut.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    ^^^That is a magnificent book. Probably my favorite Christmas book, except maybe for Dickens's chestnut.
    Perfect Moore craziness with great characters, of course. Very happy to see Tucker Case and his fruit bat Roberto return.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Let us know what you think of it. I’ve seen the movie that was adapted from the book and it was pretty interesting. Didn’t play out quite the way I expected.
    Finished it this morning. Yeah, the book didn't go how I expected it to either, but I did enjoy it. At first when it went in a different direction, I was disappointed, but I kept reading and it kept my interest and paid off. Like so many books, though, it wrapped up a bit too quickly. I'm not sure why so many writers think they need to speed everything up toward the end and get through all the final scenes and dialog at a breathless pace. I guess they feel that makes things more exciting, but for me the final events, thoughts, and conversations are the payoff, and I want those to be dwelt on a bit more. Anyway, a good book. I think teenage readers would really enjoy it, though it's not specifically aimed at them. I haven't seen the movie, though now I'm interested to.

Creekers by Edward Lee

Nobody does inbred hillbilly horror like Lee.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

"Riddle of Stars," a YA fantasy trilogy by the late great Patricia McKillip

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I just started “It’s About Time – Jeff Porcaro The Man And His Music”. This is a fairly new biography of the Toto drummer who played on dozens of big albums during his short life. The author had the blessing of Jeff’s family and did interviews with many people in his life including Jeff’s brothers. I am not too far into it yet, but I am digging it so far. One word of warning, if you buy the kindle addition, for some reason you can’t adjust the font on this book, so the writing is really small. Font adjustment is the whole reason I bought a kindle, so I find this a little bit frustrating.
    Bought the hard-copy about a year ago (and posted about it somewhere over here ). I really enjoyed reading it, especially because Robyn Flans, the author, has known Jeff a long time. And I think "It's About Time" is a great title (the book is about drumming of course, but it's taken a long time before a book like this on Jeff was written).

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Creekers by Edward Lee

Nobody does inbred hillbilly horror like Lee.
    I have to read this - I just read some descriptions and it sounds good and messed-up!

I have to read this - I just read some descriptions and it sounds good and messed-up!
    If you like this one, then there are a gaggle of other Lee titles to consider. Backwoods, Bighead, and the Header series. (3 books total)
    His non red neck books are also gold.

"Low" by Hubo Wilcken (originally from 2005, this edition is from 2020). Fine view on the making of David Bowie's first Berlin-album in the 33 1/3 series.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    If you like this one, then there are a gaggle of other Lee titles to consider. Backwoods, Bighead, and the Header series. (3 books total)
    His non red neck books are also gold.
    I've wanted to read Bighead for a long time, but it's really tough to find. I think it came out only as a signed limited.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

The Bighead is available on Amazon for twenty bucks pb, forty hb, and the "original demon text" (whatever that is) will be released on 8/28 for the Kindle.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    I've wanted to read Bighead for a long time, but it's really tough to find. I think it came out only as a signed limited.
    I usually just get them on kindle