Thread: What are you currently reading?

Finished Kalevala, which I quite enjoyed - the only real problem with it (for me) was the "Hiawatha" tetrameter, which got kind of singsongy at places (in English anyway).

Now reading Nnedi Okorafor's "Binti" trilogy.
    Ring the bells, that still can ring,
    Forget your perfect offering.
    There is a crack - a crack in everything.
    That's how the light gets in.

51Aoh2vINWL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    The Devil's Music Master: The Controversial Life and Career of Wilhelm Furtwangler
    Book by Sam H. Shirakawa

What a complete guide to Furtwangler's musical career!.. And such a stunning recollection of decisive historical facts that changed the music course during the twentieth century, as well as the life of such a unique musician, who was undoubtedly not only one of the greatest interpreters our world has witnessed but also one of the most compelling personalities of our time.

And I feel absolutely compelled to share here some of the accurate fact recollections that evidenced such a dark fate of postwar Germany's music scene. During the horror of the Allied postwar occupation, the evil genius of EMI Records Sir Walter Legge, the British Intelligence agent who ran London's EMI Records, promoted committed Nazi Party member Herbert von Karajan as a star. Legge and his "golem" von Karajan with the recording industry, end up destroying postwar German music. While Furtwangler faded into obscurity, Karajan became one of the world's most powerful musician with an estate worth more than $270 million. And the recording industry became such a mighty money machine ...

Perhaps the greatest book that I read within the last three decades!

P.S.: Thanks a lot my friend Doug (@presdoug) for recommending me this awesome book.
    Last edited by Rick Robson; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:16 PM.
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

Just started I Am Behind You by John Ajvide Lindqvist, author of Let The Right One In.
    Can this be the swan song? The final elbow?

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Just started I Am Behind You by John Ajvide Lindqvist, author of Let The Right One In.
    I haven't read that one yet. If it's as good as "Little Star", "Harbor" and "Let the Right One In", than you're in for a treat!
    Last edited by Crawford Glissadevil; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:33 AM.

I haven't read that one yet. If it's as good as "Little Star", "Harbor" and "Let the Right One In", than you're in for a treat!
    I've read all of those, and I'm hoping I Am Behind You is as good.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Now reading Nnedi Okorafor's "Binti" trilogy.
    Looking forward to your thoughts on this. I've been curious about it for a while, now.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    I reac the first book and was enjoying it so much that I ordered books 2 & 3 before I even finished.

I would not in any way compare it to military SF. It's a book of deep secrets.

As for the style I would describe it as "sparse.'

Her "Inheritance Trilogy" is now on my to-read pile...
    Thanks.. I think I'll download a sample on my iPad when I finish my current trilogy...

I am also curious about the newest series by Stephen R. Donaldson, if anyone has read the first book...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Looking forward to your thoughts on this. I've been curious about it for a while, now.

Full review will follow in the SFF private group, but for now let me just say that it's extraordinary, and I have no idea why it was published as a trilogy; it's a single novel broken at (somewhat strange) places to make three things of the "right" length for YA books.

(Well, okay, I guess I do have some idea why.)

It's got a lot of interesting ideas about war, peace, life, death, and identity, and how bigotry happens even in the communities everyone else looks down on.

Perhaps the most surprising (and beautiful) thing to me is that here is a story with a literally galactic scope, told from the point of view of a girl from a small Namibian people, and the only other humans involved are from two neighboring peoples.

Next up, Voyage, Orestes!, the surviving fragment of a huge mimetic novel Samuel R. Delany was writing at the same time as his classic "Fall of the Towers" trilogy.

David Gemmell's Druss the Legend. Awesome epic fantasy, strongly recommend to everyone

Voyage, Orestes! proved, as I rather expected, to be a minor bit only for Delany fanatics (like me).

Now complete shift of direction to Nora Roberts's post-apocalyptic novel Year One

Woodstock Nation by Abbie Hoffman. The blurbs on Amazon say it's about Abbie's experiences at Woodstock. Not quite. I'm about a third of the way through, and so far it's a giant political rant with no point. Everyone, everything, and every ideology is his target. I think I'm wasting my time; maybe that's the point. Though I did enjoy his barbs at Ed Sullivan for not allowing Elvis to be shown below the waist.

Years ago, when it first came out, I read his Steal This Book. That was fun, though a bit twisted.
    Lou

Awarded the Krusty Brand Seal of Approval. It's not just good, it's good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Woodstock Nation by Abbie Hoffman. The blurbs on Amazon say it's about Abbie's experiences at Woodstock. Not quite. I'm about a third of the way through, and so far it's a giant political rant with no point. Everyone, everything, and every ideology is his target. I think I'm wasting my time; maybe that's the point. Though I did enjoy his barbs at Ed Sullivan for not allowing Elvis to be shown below the waist.

Years ago, when it first came out, I read his Steal This Book. That was fun, though a bit twisted.
    I've never read Abbie Hoffman. You're description makes Hoffman sound like an anarchist. Am I in the ballpark?

Elizabeth: A Novel of the Unnatural by Jessica Hamilton
    published 1976
    Last edited by Crawford Glissadevil; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crawford Glissadevil View Post
    I've never read Abbie Hoffman. You're description makes Hoffman sound like an anarchist. Am I in the ballpark?
    As I see it, you're on home plate.
    Lou

Awarded the Krusty Brand Seal of Approval. It's not just good, it's good enough.

Have you gotten to the point where Abbie tries to take the stage from The Who? "Fuck off! Fuck off my fucking stage!" Whump!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Have you gotten to the point where Abbie tries to take the stage from The Who? "Fuck off! Fuck off my fucking stage!" Whump!
    I'm about half way through, so I know it's coming. I've heard the audio of the encounter. Too bad there's no video of it.
    Lou

Tap, Tap by David Martin
    Published 1995

Steel Ghosts by Michael Paine
    Published 2005

Alastair Reynolds - Revenger

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    Alastair Reynolds - Revenger
    I've got this in my "waiting to read" pile. Let me know how it is.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Savage News by Jessica Yellin. On late night TV, the book was described by the author. It sounded like a good idea, taking the experiences of a Washington DC journalist and turning them into a novel. Entertaining so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I've got this in my "waiting to read" pile. Let me know how it is.
    Pretty good so far - very faced-paced, so somewhat different from Reynold's usual epically-glacial space opera.

The Claw by Norah Lofts
    Published 1982

Electric Eden: Unearthing Britain's Visionary Music by Rob Young. Very large book, over 600 pages, about the 1960s' trend toward folk music in the UK. Goes back to mid-1800s when scholars started collecting rural and urban folk songs throughout the British isles. Interesting information about well-known bands such as Pentangle and Fairport Convention and lesser-known outfits (at least in America) such as Sweeney's Men and the Albion Country Band.
    Lou

The Elephant of Surprise by Joe R. Lansdale