Thread: What are you currently reading?

Silver Scream Edited by David J Schow (1955- )
    Published 1988

Silver Scream is a horror anthology dedicated to Horror short stories incorporating movie theaters, video, and drive-ins. Includes stories from Clive Barker, Robert Bloch, Ramsey Campbell, among others. Introduction by Texas Chainsaw Director- Tobe Hooper.

Quote Originally Posted by Crawford Glissadevil View Post
    Published 1988

Silver Scream is a horror anthology dedicated to Horror short stories incorporating movie theaters, video, and drive-ins. Includes stories from Clive Barker, Robert Bloch, Ramsey Campbell, among others. Introduction by Texas Chainsaw Director- Tobe Hooper.
    Great anthology! Read it years ago. My favorite story from it is "Sinema" by Ray Garton. When I was in high school, my English teacher said a good story grabs the reader with the first sentence. Garton sure does that with, "Bret Deever had been looking for his dog, Gabby, for half an hour when he found, instead, a hand." Wow, does that do it.

The stone-cold classic in there, however, is Joe Lansdale's "Night They Missed the Horror Show."
    Lou

Awarded the Krusty Brand Seal of Approval. It's not just good, it's good enough.

Finished Mr. Mercedes. Dynamite climax. Dove right into Finders Keepers.
    Maka ki ecela tehani yanke lo!

Quote Originally Posted by Crawford Glissadevil View Post
    Published 1988

I read such an anthology years ago. It was called Cutting Edge and edited by Dennis Etchison. It included also work from Clive Barker, Robert Bloch and Ramsey Campbell, but also from Peter Straub (The Blue Rose, which later turned into a triology about Vietnam and the years after that).

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post

Just finished End of Watch. A satisfying end.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Great anthology! Read it years ago. My favorite story from it is "Sinema" by Ray Garton. When I was in high school, my English teacher said a good story grabs the reader with the first sentence. Garton sure does that with, "Bret Deever had been looking for his dog, Gabby, for half an hour when he found, instead, a hand." Wow, does that do it.

The stone-cold classic in there, however, is Joe Lansdale's "Night They Missed the Horror Show."
    I was just telling my wife, "Ray Garton's story disturbs me."

How To ( Absurd Scientific Advice For Common Real-World Problems ) by Randall Munroe. He is the creator of xkcd. httpd://xkcd.com
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Unknown

I have Mr. Mercedes and have read it. Don't remember a damned thing about it and when I read it I was completely sober. I'm also hazy on Dr. Sleep. Gotta re-read those I guess.

I was going to read We Need to Talk About Kevin but instead found City by Clifford D. Simak. One of my favorite sci-fi novels of all time, right up there with The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. I have a bunch of Simak books and have only read a handful of them but all are really good. He's a forgotten artist, it seems, but damn the few books I have read all were cool. He came up with some great ideas for sure and City is easily the best of what I've read. Just a fantastic book and someday I'd like to find a copy with the ninth story, a reprint where he added another story to the whole mess.

Still gotta finish that Kevin book but damned if that ain't depressing I don't know what is and I'm not sure I really want to read it. The movie was bad enough and the few pages of the book I've read were so damned sad.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

1) Ray Garton is a very disturbing writer indeed (and a helluva nice guy).

2) "To read science fiction is to read Simak" -- Robert A. Heinlein

1) Ray Garton is a very disturbing writer indeed (and a helluva nice guy).

2) "To read science fiction is to read Simak" -- Robert A. Heinlein
    Thanks for that quote from Heinlein. Never heard that before and coming from him that's high praise. Hollywood has mined authors like Dick and Heinlein, to an extent, yet I've never seen a Simak book in film version. It might turn out like Bradbury's Martian Chronicles which IIRC wasn't all that great but damn they could at least try.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Blitzed : Drugs in the Third Reich by Norman Ohler

Nazis on meth , insane stuff!
    Just finished this. Very interesting book for sure. Thanks for the recommendation!

When he (Simak) and Heinlein died within a few months of each other, it was like a gut punch to me. I wrote at the time that, if Heinlein was the manifestation of brains in science fiction, Simak was the manifestation of heart. Heinlein had heart, and Simak had brains, but that's still how I felt about it. (Then there's Ted Sturgeon, but he's in a category of his own.)

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    I was going to read We Need to Talk About Kevin but instead found City by Clifford D. Simak. One of my favorite sci-fi novels of all time, right up there with The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. I have a bunch of Simak books and have only read a handful of them but all are really good. He's a forgotten artist, it seems, but damn the few books I have read all were cool. He came up with some great ideas for sure and City is easily the best of what I've read. Just a fantastic book and someday I'd like to find a copy with the ninth story, a reprint where he added another story to the whole mess.
    I would love to see a movie based on Simak's City. It was one of the first sci-fi books that attracted me by the cover alone on an old Ace printing. A robot turning the dials of a machine. Read it years later and was nicely rewarded.
    Lou

Awarded the Krusty Brand Seal of Approval. It's not just good, it's good enough.

The problem is, most Simak wouldn't film profitably. He doesn't have things going fast and blowing up, he has people with feelings and problems (even the robots and Dogs); from a visual point of view, often, nothing seems to happen.

Oh, you could make a good movie out of a Simak story. But it would cost blockbuster money to make right, and it would probably earn back art-film bucks.