Page 98 of 177 FirstFirst ... 4888949596979899100101102108148 ... LastLast
Results 2,426 to 2,450 of 4416

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    The Greedy Bastard Diaries by Eric Idle
    I read that a long time ago. I remember it being good.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I read that a long time ago. I remember it being good.
    It is brilliant. Some of the one liners are priceless! (Congress is another word for intercourse)
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Gary Steel: On Track... Gentle Giant - Every Album, Every Song
    https://www.bookdepository.com/Gentl.../9781789520583

Just finished Guards, Guards! by the late Terry Pratchett
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    I read this whole trilogy* about 20 years ago in Europe. My memories are (1) beautiful language and (2) incomprehensible plot. I may reread them some day...

*not counting The Worm Ouroboros, which had quite delighted me and inspired me to buy the trilogy...
    THey are also on my "soon to re-read" list.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Finished `Line` by Ryu Murakami.
    Beginning `The Irishman`.

In the Night of Time, by Antonio Muñoz Molina.

I already know that this will be a long, slow, wondrous read.

I just finished the audiobook for The Forgotten Man by Amity Shlaes. It's a well-researched and evenly-balanced history of the events leading up to and through the Great Depression in the United States and looks at all of the major players involved. This filled in a big gap in my historical knowledge of that era.

I just started another audiobook: Oliver Wendell Holmes: A Life in War, Law, and Ideas by Stephen Budiansky. It's shaping up to be a fascinating 'read'! Robertson Dean is an excellent narrator, too.

Why People Believe Weird Things: Pseudoscience, Superstition, and Other Confusions of Our Time by Michael Shermer

Quote Originally Posted by dt2 View Post
    Why People Believe Weird Things: Pseudoscience, Superstition, and Other Confusions of Our Time by Michael Shermer
    Great book!

I just read the latest David Mitchell, Utopia Avenue. It’s set in ‘67 London and about the formative years of a rock band, and it is quite captivating. I’m always a bit wary of fictional rock bands, they never ring true, but he has such a way of writing engaging characters that this one holds together well. It also fits into his meta-novel universe, and has just a little dollop of his metaphysical / paranormal viewpoint. I enjoy the connections between previous novels and characters and here we have a guitar wunderkind Jasper de Zoet who is a descendent of Jacob de Zoet from a previous novel. There are numerous other little connections and threads to please the train-spotter fiction fan too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    I just read the latest David Mitchell, Utopia Avenue.
    It's sitting on my shelf. Looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    I just read the latest David Mitchell, Utopia Avenue. It’s set in ‘67 London and about the formative years of a rock band, and it is quite captivating. I’m always a bit wary of fictional rock bands, they never ring true, but he has such a way of writing engaging characters that this one holds together well. It also fits into his meta-novel universe, and has just a little dollop of his metaphysical / paranormal viewpoint. I enjoy the connections between previous novels and characters and here we have a guitar wunderkind Jasper de Zoet who is a descendent of Jacob de Zoet from a previous novel. There are numerous other little connections and threads to please the train-spotter fiction fan too.
    Dutch translation will be out in September. Looking forward to read this. Got a 5*-review in a national newspaper.

Steve Hackett - Genesis In My Bed
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Quote Originally Posted by dt2 View Post
    Sounds interesting, I just ordered it.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Gideon The Ninth by Tamsyn Muir (a Kiwi ginger now living in England, according to the author info on the book sleeve).

Sort of a Goth space opera with animated skeletons and walking dead and some living necromancers and angry women with swords. The edges of the book's pages are black, a marketing ploy that makes it stand out. It's pretty weird, and I thought I would read a few chapters and lose interest, but I'm more than 100 pages in and still turning the pages. I'd have read more, had my bedside reading lamp not picked last night to break. Perhaps fitting for a dark novel, but I, for one, have yet to learn to read in the absence of light.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Joe, You Coulda Made Us Proud. Joe Pepitone's autobiography. The story of Joe's wild life. He was the first baseman for the NY Yankees when I was a kid.
    Mickey Mantle, Roger Maris, Whitey Ford, Yogi Berra. Those were the days! Hilarious so far.

^ I think I remember him with the Cubs.

more than 100 pages in and still turning the pages
    When you hit the midway point, the body count starts to pile up and the action intensifies.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerol
    When you hit the midway point, the body count starts to pile up and the action intensifies.
    So you've read it? When you find something odd and unheralded on the 'new books' shelf at a small town library, you tend to think you are the only one reading it, even though you know there are rumors of life beyond quarantine in other towns. Today I may risk my life on a trip to Lowe's so I can repair my reading lamp.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

A Dominant Character: The Radical Science And Restless Politics Of J.B.S. Haldane by Samanth Subramanian.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Strawberry Brick's Guide to Progressive Rock. Hey, the 3rd Edition was released this year! Enjoying the read so far. I like the chronological order of the book AND I'm enough of a Geezer to remember Most of the release dates!

I feel so Adult reading a book without Pictures!
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    Joe, You Coulda Made Us Proud. Joe Pepitone's autobiography. The story of Joe's wild life. He was the first baseman for the NY Yankees when I was a kid.
    Mickey Mantle, Roger Maris, Whitey Ford, Yogi Berra. Those were the days! Hilarious so far.
    Sounds good. I'll check my local library to see if they have it.

Speaking of a New Yorker of Italian descent, I'm rereading The Godfather for the first time since the first movie came out. I am enjoying it, picturing all the movie characters while reading.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

A Warning - Anonymous