Page 93 of 176 FirstFirst ... 4383899091929394959697103143 ... LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,325 of 4383

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Can you compare it with his earlier stuff? I loved Foucault's Pendulum, and read Eco faithfully for a while, but gave up after 3-4 disappointments.
    ... “there’s a million ways to learn” (which there are, by the way), but ironically, there’s a million things to eat, I’m just not sure I want to eat them all. -- Jeff Berlin

Got a copy of Jez Rowden's "On Track ... Steely Dan". Although Rowden is a fan his writing is positive critical and informative. The book also covers the solo-albums by Fagen en Becker.

Just started Roger Daltrey's book, Thanks a Lot, Mr Kibblewhite. Pretty entertaining so far.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Just started Roger Daltrey's book, Thanks a Lot, Mr Kibblewhite. Pretty entertaining so far.
    Did you get the actual book or the audiobook? I really enjoyed hearing Roger read it to me.

Actual book. I don't really do audiobooks (though I suppose it could've been a Kindle book).

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    I enjoyed that one a lot. I have also read Pete's book and Kenny Jones book for different perspectives.

Creekers by Edward Lee

Nobody does inbred redneck horror like Lee!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Creekers by Edward Lee

Nobody does inbred redneck horror like Lee!
    You said it. I've been looking for his The Bighead for a while. Tough to find.

Recently I finished So Here It Is, Slade's Dave Hill's autobiography. Very enjoyable. You'd think with his bizarre haircut, crazy clothes, and wild stage presence he'd be another Gene Siimmons. Not so. Here's a guy who's been married to the same woman for almost 50 years, and when he was in, at the time, one of the biggest bands in the world, he was still living in the projects ("council" house) with his mom and dad in his mid-twenties.

I'm about half-way through Rot by Gary Brandner. I'm enjoying it. Kind of like Pet Semetary. Girl dies in car crash, boy goes to gypsy to have girl revived, girl revives but not as boy would like. I think he'll go back to the gypsy to remedy the situation. This is my first book by Brandner. I'll be looking for others.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Finished Daltrey's book, which was quite good. Now ploughing into the second volume of a future-fantasy a la The Stand, by romance novelist Nora Roberts. The first volume was better than one would expect.

The Blue Guide to London, Emily Barber.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    The Stand by Steven King

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    American Dirt by Jeanine Cummins. A mother and her young son seek to escape cartel violence in Southern Mexico by traveling to the US.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

The Day the Sun Died, by Yan Lianke. Really weird. An entire village in China starts somnambulating. Also, corpse oil.

Raymond Chandler: The Long Good-bye (1953 in a new Dutch translation).

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Consider This: Moments In My Writing Life After Which Everything Was Different, by Chuck Palahniuk. Not planning to write a novel, but I've read my share of them. Palahniuk's advice is clear and easy to understand, and is peppered with the kind of anecdotes you might expect from him. An entertaining and informative read.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Currently reading Stephen King’s “The Institute”. I used to be a die hard King fan, but I think the last book of his that I read was “Under The Dome” and I very rarely read fiction anymore, but a friend really recommended this one, so I thought I would give it a shot. It started a little slow, but I about 80% into it now and I am really enjoying it. King has still got it.

Robert A. Heinlein's "new" book, The Pursuit of the Pankera. This is really weird: the first 150 or so pages are identical to those of a book Heinlein published in 1980, "The Number of the Beast--", then it goes in a completely different direction.

About halfway through I still have no idea of what the, or a, Pankera is.

Speaking of Stephen King (see Steve's post a couple back), I'm reading Gwendy's Magic Feather by Richard Chizmar. It's the sequel to Gwendy's Button Box by King and Chizmar. It's been a while since I read the Button Box, so I'm having a hard time getting into the sequel because I forgot a lot from the original. I think I may put the sequel down and will reread the original. I do remember it being very reminiscent of Richard Matheson's story "Button, Button."
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Currently reading Stephen King’s “The Institute”. I used to be a die hard King fan, but I think the last book of his that I read was “Under The Dome” and I very rarely read fiction anymore, but a friend really recommended this one, so I thought I would give it a shot. It started a little slow, but I about 80% into it now and I am really enjoying it. King has still got it.
    I wonder if The Institue is the same place the girl from Firestarter was held.

I'm reading The Stand. Why not, says Captain Trips.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    I wonder if The Institue is the same place the girl from Firestarter was held.

Mmm.......I had not thought about that, but could be. King always likes to interweave his stories.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Mmm.......I had not thought about that, but could be. King always likes to interweave his stories.
    Just looked up Firestarter and it says it's called The Shop. Still, I wonder as it kinda makes sense. I haven't read it so don't have all the details.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

David Eimer 'A Savage Dreamland' -- the most comprehensive overview of the bizarre and obscure melting pot that is modern Myanmar. For those who like travel lit, Eimer's previous book 'The Emperor Far Away', where he travels the edges of China's obscure borders, was also a great read. Eimer can write, he can bring what seems like an esoteric topic to light and make it interesting for Joe Average Reader, and he has an insider's grasp on the region.

Just started Indian Sun: The Life And Music of Ravi Shankar-Oliver Craske.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Hamnet, by Maggie O'Farrell - an imagination of Shakespeare's life with his wife, their grief at the loss of their son, & the inspiration for the play that would be written three or four years subsequently...predominantly written from the perspective of Shakespeare's wife.

It's very good.

Before this, Bass Rock by Evie Wyld; & Here We Are by Graham Swift.

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    Here We Are by Graham Swift.
    I don’t know this one, but I do enjoy Graham Swift, Waterland is one of my favourite novels. I re-read it a year or so ago, it was still captivating.

I just finished a mad true tale of a Ultra Runners, “Born To Run”, it’s made me want to don running shoes and get outside again, though that’s possibly a reaction to enforced captivity.

Now half way through Underland by Robert McFarlane, a powerful and beautifully written exploration of the places beneath our feet, both urban and in nature.

One thing lockdown has afforded me is more time to get into that ever growing pile of books beside my bed.