Page 9 of 177 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959109 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Just finished "The Dog Stars" by Peter Heller. Another post-apocalypse tale (no zombies or supernatural junk though, thank goodness). Unusual story, very well written. Really liked it. If you're a dog lover like me be prepared to mist up a couple of times.

Currently reading "The Wrecking Crew" by Kent Hartman, the story of the LA session musicians that played on almost every hit record released in the 60's (Glen Campbell, Leon Russell, Hal Blaine, etc.). I knew a lot of the story, but there's still a lot that's new to me. Assuming what's in this book is accurate of course. I've read that Carol Kaye has called it trash and is supposedely coming out with her own book.

The Barbarous Years: The Peopling of British North America: The Conflict of Civilizations, 1600-1675, Bernard Bailyn

The Amazing Bud Powell: Black Genius, Jazz History, and the Challenge of Bebop, Guthrie Ramsey
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Finishing up the third book in the series by Ian Tregillis - Necessary Evil. A very different trilogy, marrying magic, science and war stories into a nicely told story, with enough character flaws and nuances to make it interesting.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Just finished Drood by Dan Simmons. A too long fictional account of the last five years of Charles Dickens life. It coud have been edited down somewaht but it was okay.

Before that I read two Ender series books in a weekend. Just started Damnation Street a mystery by Andrew Klavan.

D t B

Haruki Murakami: 1Q84 (part 3)

Still in the midst of Hendrix 'Room Full of Mirrors" and "The Doors: Unhinged" and have started 'Edward Gein: America's Most Bizarre Murderer', which is a chronicle of his trial, written by the presiding judge.

I'm also getting better at reading between the lines

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Haruki Murakami: 1Q84 (part 3)
    that's on my list.....

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Who I Am by Pete Townshend
    Was totally fascinated by this book. I never knew how young he was when he wrote the whole Tommy opera.

Also just read Light and Shade: Conversations with Jimmy Page .....Made me realize that he was literally the mastermind
    Behind the whole Led Zeppelin scene with development, production and finances besides his awesome musical contributions.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Just started Stephen King's Under the Dome, in anticipation of the new series coming on in June. Not too far into it yet, but it definitely has promise. Most of the reviews I've read are pretty good.
    I thought “Under The Dome” was pretty good. Definitely keeps your interest all the way through. I agree with the other poster about King often not having very good endings to his books. I thought the ending to “Dome” was pretty good. Not a total shocker, but not a dud either. It will be interesting to see what they do with the TV series.

Steve Sly

I started reading Ken Scott’s book “From Abby Road To Ziggy Stardust” on the plane to ROSfest. I am currently a little over half way through. Scott was the producer on numerous Beatles albums along with a whole bunch of other people over the years. So far the book has been very interesting.

Steve Sly

Yes Is The Answer, And Other Prog Rock Tales, eds. Weingarten & Cornell

A collection of pieces by writers, critics, muscians, novelists, and other literary types, who offer some interesting ideas and insights on our beloved "Prog" beyond the usual boilerplate and vitriol.....
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Music In India-The Classical Traditions,by Bonnie C.Wade.Pretty good read so far.

I'm hooked.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Still sludging through John Dies at the End. The first couple of hundred pages were good, but the conceit is worn out now that I'm around page 400.

Eagerly looking forward to Sam Pink's new book Rontel. http://www.impersonalelectroniccommunication.com/

Also ordered Borges' Collected Fictions.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Finishing up NK Jemisin's The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms (a quick re-read for me since I first read it some years ago). A pretty decent new world and philosophy and a first novel. I do hope the sequels are as good.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

I'm a third of the way through The Aenid, a verse rendition by Mandelbaum.

Finished Klavan's Damnation Street and Anne Tylers Saint Maybe .
    Going to start Against All Enemies by Tom Clancey & Peter Telep.

I'm currently reading "The Camel Club" by David Baldacci. I've read about 3 other books by him. I'd describe them as "politically charged thrillers." He's very good at it!

Currently reading "The Decline of Sentiment" by Lea Jacobs. A look at the 1920s shift in cinematic sensibility from innocence or denial to sophistication in filmmaking.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    I'm currently reading "The Camel Club" by David Baldacci. I've read about 3 other books by him. I'd describe them as "politically charged thrillers." He's very good at it!
    I've read a few of them, too. Loved them all.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Just finished reading John Sandford's "Silken Prey" and am now working on Joe Hill's "NOS4A2"
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Robert Jordan's epic...the final volume (written by Sanderson, based on Jordan's "Script," so they say...)

Trashy Fantasy, but I just gotta know how it ends!

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I've read a few of them, too. Loved them all.
    I finished The Camel Club this past weekend. I think it's the best Baldacci book I've read; a real cliffhanger!

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    Robert Jordan's epic...the final volume (written by Sanderson, based on Jordan's "Script," so they say...)

Trashy Fantasy, but I just gotta know how it ends!
    Oh God, I wish I had just abandoned this whole series at book 4, or never started it at all. Yeah, I read them all and have them all. I can't even bring myself to let my fantasy loving kids get stared with them. Now what do I do with the whole series short of throwing them out? Such an awesome start to a series, with a very, very poor follow-through and ending.

BobM-
    Mine are in a box....I got the last volume at the library, as I couldn't see buying it....the first 12 were given to me, and I bought the 13th...

anyway, they'll be sold to a used bookstore, or donated, soon enough....

"The Experience of World War 1" by J.M. Winter. I'm told that this is one of the best overviews of the great war and a great place to start if you want to study that dismal 4 years. I'm about 50 pages in and it's highly detailed but quite fascinating. I decided, with the upcoming 100 year centenary of the war, to start reading about it, a period of history I pretty much know nothing about.

best
    Michael
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap