Page 99 of 177 FirstFirst ... 49899596979899100101102103109149 ... LastLast
Results 2,451 to 2,475 of 4412

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    Strawberry Brick's Guide to Progressive Rock. Hey, the 3rd Edition was released this year! Enjoying the read so far. I like the chronological order of the book AND I'm enough of a Geezer to remember Most of the release dates!

I feel so Adult reading a book without Pictures!
    DAMMIT! Now that I'm reading the Strawberry Brick..... I'm feeling the need to fill in the gaps in my music collection..... Bonzo Dog Do Da Band 5CD Box & Procol Harum 5 CD 3 DVD Box set. Don't have anything by these bands....Heard PH in my youth tho.....

If PE is to blame for my Credit Card smoldering.....Now my Book purchases are accelerating my music purchases!
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

I never read One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest back in the day, my wife pick up a copy at the library last weekend so I'm just getting into McMurphy's arrival / card games etc. Been a while since I've seen the movie but I can't help but put Jack's voice to anything McMurphy says. I knew going in that the book would be different.. for starters it's written thru the eyes of Chief Bromden.

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    I never read One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest back in the day, my wife pick up a copy at the library last weekend so I'm just getting into McMurphy's arrival / card games etc. Been a while since I've seen the movie but I can't help but put Jack's voice to anything McMurphy says. I knew going in that the book would be different.. for starters it's written thru the eyes of Chief Bromden.
    My dear mother (RIP) went to drama school at UNC-Chapel Hill in the early-mid 1950s, and Louise Fletcher (Nurse Ratched in the film) was her classmate. Ms. Fletcher even acted in a play that mom had written as part of their graduation requirement. Mom never saw the Cuckoo's Nest movie, but she confirmed that Louise was highly gifted and easily the best in their class.

Having finished Utopia Avenue I felt the desire to revisit David Mitchell’s first novel Ghostwritten, I’m half way through and remember so little of it from that first read twenty years ago. It really is the seed from which so much of his oeuvre has developed. There are so many books that I want to read, but I recently find I keep revisiting ones that once piqued my interest!

I am not yet, but I just noticed Charlie Kaufman wrote a novel titled "Antkind" that was published and released in July.

There are a lot of reviews that either love it or hate it, but I'm hardly surprised by that given his history.

1 though compared it to being kind of a Hitchiker's Guide for the Twitter generation.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    Having finished Utopia Avenue
    How was it? I've got it sitting on my shelf.
    I'm a fan of his for sure, my fave being The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet.

Quote Originally Posted by dt2 View Post
    How was it? I've got it sitting on my shelf.
    I'm a fan of his for sure, my fave being The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet.
    I posted a little earlier about it, but in a nutshell I really enjoyed it, and it’s a very readable standalone story, Just like The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet. It has a soupçon of his metaphysical world, so brings some other threads and characters together that will keep any fan interested. You’ll enjoy it I’m sure.

Finally finished the Lem ... now refreshing my brain with something a little lighter, Ready Player One...
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

John Toland - The Rising Sun

THE book on Japan’s march into war and subsequent catastrophe. Goes way beyond the stereotype of emperor-worshipping sadists screaming ‘Ayee!’ (or ‘Banzai!’) and makes it understandable how and why the country went down the path it did.

Just started reading Sue Townsend's The Secret Diary Of Adrian Mole Aged 13 3/4 in a new Dutch translation.
    I read it when it was first released in 1982, watched the series and read it again (together with a couple of follow ups) about 10 years ago.
    This new translation has changed the languague so it is more into "the now", although I didn't mind the 80's-text.
    For young readers the book contains a list of typical 80's words and names, like Adam Ant, cassette and Space Invaders.
    It's still funny, but less than reading it the first time.

Hell House by Richard Matheson

I just finished doing the Spanish course on Duolingo, so now I'm trying to read some stuff in Spanish, figuring I could improve vocabulary (with dictionary, of course) and maybe even get to where I can think in Spanish.

So I'm now reading Harry Potter y la Piedra Filosofal.

It's an interesting experience. I am managing to read without mentally translating to English - except when I hit a word I don't know (which is currently happening a couple of times on a typical page). And because of the pace at which I'm forced to read I'm noticing details I never noticed before. I'll say this for Rowling as a writer: she sets little bits of information that will pay off years later...
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

I just finished two short pieces by P. Djèlí Clark, A Dead Djinn in Cairo and The Haunting of Tram Car 015. There is no way in hell I can summarize or even pigeon hole them.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Disloyal?

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    Disloyal?
    Yes....my copy arrives this afternoon.....publicity is getting overshadowed by Woodwards new book tho......
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

I am reading "Original Jethro Tull The Glory Years 1968 - 1980" by Gary Parker. Not a whole lot of new information, but a pretty good account of the band during those years.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I am reading "Original Jethro Tull The Glory Years 1968 - 1980" by Gary Parker. Not a whole lot of new information, but a pretty good account of the band during those years.
    I read this one a while ago. Good stuff, indeed. I got a kick out of how the John Evan Bland slowly morphed with new members into Jethro Tull then little by little most of the original John Evan members joined Jethro Tull.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

I’m having a short break from fiction after backtracking through some early David Mitchell that I had not read since publication.

I just read the Phil Lynott biography, Cowboy Song. It was a very well researched, honest and interesting account of the mans life.

I’m now onto something a little different, Renegade by Mark E Smith, it’s quite an hilarious rant from the very start.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Giant View Post
    Steve Hackett - Genesis In My Bed
    Finished reading this one today. It's a fine read especially when you're a fan of his work between 1971 to 1980 like I am. To be honest, the latest album I bought from Steve is To Watch The Storms. Reading about his dark youth I can imagine where a lot of ideas for songs on his solo-albums came from.

RAGE.

Neil Gaiman’s Norse Mythology

Also rereading Bruford’s Autobiography.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk