Page 8 of 176 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Bukowski's Factotum.

Next is George Saunders' new collection of shorts, Tenth of December.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Just started Stephen King's Under the Dome, in anticipation of the new series coming on in June. Not too far into it yet, but it definitely has promise. Most of the reviews I've read are pretty good.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Currently reading Peter F. Hamilton's "Pandora's Star". I read his "Void" series not realising that it was set in a universe he created in an earlier series, so that is what I am currently reading. So far it's not as strong as the Void series but I know Hamilton takes a while to wind up his storylines so I'll be patient.
    Last edited by Yves; 04-25-2013 at 03:32 PM.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Game Of Thrones Book 1, very very slowly.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

multicellular organism roddenberry's Avatar
    An old classic that I never had the time to read: A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking. One of those that I wanted to read for a long time but never got to it. it's a used copy I bought in 2002 or 2003...

Who I Am by Pete Townshend
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Meds by horror writer Ray Garton. An antidepressant is removed from the market and all hell breaks loose.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Who I Am by Pete Townshend
    What a coinky-dink! I'm "reading" it on CD in the car to and from work. Pete reads it himself. Great stuff. He even laughs at the funny parts as he's reading it.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    What a coinky-dink! I'm "reading" it on CD in the car to and from work. Pete reads it himself. Great stuff. He even laughs at the funny parts as he's reading it.
    That's really cool. I'd love to have a copy of Bruford reading his autobiography. He was very entertaining reading from it at the signing I went to.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Room Full of Mirrors & The Doors: Unhinged. just finished Deviant, about Ed Gein.

Ed Gein...along with Jeffrey Dahmer, 2 of Wisconsin's stereotypical model citizens.

Lou - it's that Jewtalian telepathy again!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Just started John Dies at the End.

Also reading The Scarlet Letter because I decided for some very stupid reason to teach it this quarter.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

"The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet," by David Mitchell. Really good stuff.
    Just finished "Going Clear," about Scientology. Friggin' scary stuff.

The whole Scientology thing fascinates me. Such a strange phenomenon.

You should read the book, Scott....if half the stuff the author writes about really happened, I am surprised they are still in existence. Of course, I suppose we could say that about any organized religion.....but this one was, and so clearly is, a deliberate sham.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Just started Stephen King's Under the Dome, in anticipation of the new series coming on in June. Not too far into it yet, but it definitely has promise. Most of the reviews I've read are pretty good.
    I read it about one or two years ago and I thought it was riveting most of the way through. I often find King's endings to be less than satisfying and this was no exception, but for me, the journey means more than the destination... and it was a wild ride; a "page turner" if ever there was one! I didn't know they were making it into a series.

Among his other more recent books, I've read "Duma Key" and "11/22/63." I enjoyed them very much, but unlike "Under the Dome," they got a little "slow" now and then.

The last two books I've read were both adapted into movies: "The Time Traveler's Wife" by Audrey Niffenegger (hadn't seen the film) and "High Fidelity" by Nick Hornby (had seen the film). HF was hilarious and insightful, like the movie. Interestingly, the book takes place in London while the film takes place in Chicago. TTTW takes place in Chicago (my home) too. I watched the film after I finished it and I thought it came off as being a bit silly, although I didn't feel that way about the book at all. Sometimes it's near impossible to fit a novel into a 2 hour movie format and do any justice to it.
    Last edited by No Pride; 04-23-2013 at 02:18 PM.

Out of Oz-Gregory Maguire (book 4 of The Wicked Years)

Just finished up the complete Sherlock Holmes, and have plunged into the next book by Brian Greene: "The hidden reality: Parallel universes and the deep laws of the cosmos" I recall on the old PE we discussed Greenes "Fabric of the Cosmos". I don't understand all the math, but he is great at getting accross the ideas, what a weird place this world really is.

- Oh I also reread the Harry Potter Series - gets even better the third time!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    Just finished up the complete Sherlock Holmes
    Truly excellent
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

My favorite thing concerning the Holmes stuff was the errors- He was under a lot of pressure to write the stuff for serialization in magazines, so Watson's wound traveled from his arm to his leg a few times, and he would mix up Mrs Hudson with other housekeeper names.

Quantum of Solace, a collection of short stories, by Ian Fleming. I am working my way through as many Bond books (by Fleming) as I can find. I know films rarely do justice to the source novel, but the Bond films are vastly different to the books. Even the character of Bond is different. It makes me wonder what Fleming himself thought of the films - I haven't been able to find any of his views in books about James Bond or on the interweb.

literature_qos_ss_preview.jpg
    Member since Wednesday 09.09.09

Brand new Bass Player magazine, then Crazy Fingers Jeff Beck bio upon its arrival. I read the Who I Am Townshend autobiography as well, a great read.
    Let's not forget: Tennis Magazine, Goldmine Magazine, PC Magazine.
    Any other Goldmine Magazine readers?

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    Any other Goldmine Magazine readers?
    No, but a friend (who occasionally lurks on PE as "Shadow Player") writes for them.
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    No, but a friend (who occasionally lurks on PE as "Shadow Player") writes for them.
    Cool. It's my favorite music magazine after Bass Player.

Just started Ender in Exile Orson Scott Card
    The day I purchased it I also bought Shadows in Flight same author and related to the Ender series.

Getting pumped up for the film opening in November.

Also bought on the same day, Drood by Dan Simmons. It looks to be a good read. A fictional account of Dickens last years.

D t B