Page 81 of 177 FirstFirst ... 317177787980818283848591131 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,025 of 4416

Thread: What are you currently reading?

The Ka of Gifford Hillary by Dennis Wheatley
    Published 1956

Just finished the graphic novel Arrowsmith: So Smart in Their Fine Uniforms. Wow. It's set in an alternate history Earth in which the United States of America is actually the United States of Columbia, magic is real, and the First World War is fought with and by dragons, spells, vampires and all other kinds of magical weapons and beings. What starts with the standard callow youth/fish out of water tale becomes a meditation on the horrors of war and atrocities. Two thumbs up!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Crawford Glissadevil View Post
    Let me know how that turns out for ya. I'm a fan of the man and the music.
    I'm almost done with the Randy Bachman autobiography. I'm really enjoying it. All you need to know about the man and his music with just the right amount of dirt to keep you turning the pages. Since starting this book, I've listened to a lot of BTO, and I'm liking it; more now that when it first came out. Every time I play/hear "You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet," I can't help thinking of the Move's "Do Ya."

On deck: TCM's Forbidden Hollywood: When Sin Ruled the Movies (the Pre-Code Era, 1930–1934).
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Just read a weird little book called The Uncanny Valley: Tales from a Lost Town, by Gregory Miller. Reads like early Bradbury; 33 bitesized stories about weird happenings in a little town in western PA.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Re-reading "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy... Even bleaker the second time around.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Salman Rushdie, The Golden House. I'm finding it a bit hard to get into, but that's been true for me with past Rushdies (except the children's book Haroun and the Sea of Stories) and they've all been worth the effort.

Starting the Game of Thrones series re-read in anticipation of the new book maybe next year (false hope - I certainly hope not).
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

I've started digging into "The Thirteen Petaled Rose" by Adin Steinsaltz. It's a fascinating and heady, but surprisingly accessible and streamlined overview of Kabbalah (a mystic/esoteric tradition within Judaism, for those who might not be familiar with the term).

It presents some very cool metaphysical concepts reminiscent of those found in the teachings of certain Mahayana/Vajrayana schools of Buddhism. Fun stuff if you're a religions geek like me.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Northline by Willy Vlautin
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWideNothing View Post
    I've started digging into "The Thirteen Petaled Rose" by Adin Steinsaltz. It's a fascinating and heady, but surprisingly accessible and streamlined overview of Kabbalah (a mystic/esoteric tradition within Judaism, for those who might not be familiar with the term).

It presents some very cool metaphysical concepts reminiscent of those found in the teachings of certain Mahayana/Vajrayana schools of Buddhism. Fun stuff if you're a religions geek like me.
    Sounds like it's up my alley to some degree.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Blitzed : Drugs in the Third Reich by Norman Ohler

Nazis on meth , insane stuff!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post

Never heard of that one, but it sounds interesting.

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    No, Brian didn't finish any of Frank's books.

What did happen was this: Herbert pére left an outline for an untitled "Dune 7." After finishing the "House" trilogy and the "Legends/Butlerian Jihad" trilogy, Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson took that outline and wrote not one but two novels, Hunters of Dune and Sandworms of Dune. On reading them it seemed clear to me that one of the reasons it took two novels is that they stuck in a bunch of stuff from their own books (notably the L/JB trilogy) - though the main reason is simply that their writing is bloated. Still, I detect Frank's hand in the general shape of the events of those two novels.
    I too see FH's hand/ideas in there, but man... What a slog thru tons of shiite... And I did read the House and Jihad prequels trilogies...

After their attempt at Dune 7, I bowed out.

I re read the original six at least every other year and always find something new to ponder
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Currently reading through Exhalation by Ted Chiang. This is one imaginative writer. He's not as prolific as some, but he has some really fascinating story ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Re-reading "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy... Even bleaker the second time around.
    I think it's about time for me to reread "The Road" too. I remember McCarthy's structure for the "The Road" was verse-like, when compared to "Blood Meridian" and "No Country for Old Men". All three novel's are superb. Worth rereading multiple times.

On to the pulp...

Fangland by John Marks
    Published 2007

Just read Mike (Teddy Vengeance here) Guest's The Aggrieved Parties. A very well done book, somewhere in the neighborhood of "thriller" but not exactly one. It's about several people in Japan, Cambodia, and Thailand, with various levels of grievance against each other, and how some get revenge and some ... don't. Very plausible, if not always likeable, characters, in a set of cultures that I honestly don't know enough about to judge but they seem real to me.

Check it out.

(A longer/more detailed review will appear on my blog/Facebook/Goodreads/Amazon in a day or so.)

The instruction manual to the internet.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Just read Mike (Teddy Vengeance here) Guest's The Aggrieved Parties. A very well done book, somewhere in the neighborhood of "thriller" but not exactly one. It's about several people in Japan, Cambodia, and Thailand, with various levels of grievance against each other, and how some get revenge and some ... don't. Very plausible, if not always likeable, characters, in a set of cultures that I honestly don't know enough about to judge but they seem real to me.

Check it out.

(A longer/more detailed review will appear on my blog/Facebook/Goodreads/Amazon in a day or so.)
    Thanks for this SL. I’d be happy to send out a PDF version to anyone else who might want to read it. PM me if so.

Trigger warning — prog/psych music references appear in the story.

The Free by Willy Vlautin. As far as I know, it is Vlautin's only novel I haven't already read.
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Just started The Universe Versus Alex Woods by Gavin Extence, which starts in a funny way, so I guess I'll enjoy this on my vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post

Another insane read is Blowback by Christopher Simpson

Nazi war criminals shielded from prosecution and put on the US gov payroll to spy on the Russians after WW2. There's an interview with the author on YouTube as well.

Just started the novella Artificial Condition: The Murderbot Diaries by Martha Wells. It's a highly addictive series of hard science fiction novellas about a security unit (Murderbot) who keeps getting sucked into adventures with humans and would rather just be left alone to watch serials and avoid small talk. Warning, HIGHLY ADDICTIVE.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I looked up Artificial Condition on my library's site, and listed there are 3 other books in the Murderbot Diaries series. Do you recommend reading them in order, or is Artificial Condition a stand-alone novel? I'm in the mood for some sci-fi after a couple of depressing, but excellent and very real novels of people barely surviving in the American west by Willy Vlautin.

Yeah, read #1 and see if it does the trick for you. It's a relatively short read. I just started number two and Murderbot has struck up an unusual friendship - with the mind of a cargo transport ship. Ian M Banks would be pleased (though it is not on the immense scale of Banks' tales).

Geology Underfoot in Northern Arizona.I've been reading other titles in the "Geology Underfoot" series;--In Western Washington;Along Colorado's Front Range,In Illinois,.

I'll probably buy all of 'em.There are three or four more titles available.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide