Page 80 of 176 FirstFirst ... 307076777879808182838490130 ... LastLast
Results 1,976 to 2,000 of 4383

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    We have that thread on changing music habits. I wonder if anyone's reading habits have changed. I am married to a woman who loathes too much bright light (which is odd considering her vision sucks) and there is a paucity of decent light for reading in this house. I finally got a new light installed on my side of the bed. Anyway, I spend more time reading off the Kindle app on my iPad. I'm on a service (BookBub) that offers daily deals and I have accumulated far too many ebooks. But I miss the tactile sensation of turning pages. Also, as an old man I have issues with fine print. Grrrrr.
    Biggest change for me is I hardly ever read fiction anymore. Not sure why, as I still read all the time, but hardly ever read fiction these days.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Biggest change for me is I hardly ever read fiction anymore. Not sure why, as I still read all the time, but hardly ever read fiction these days.
    This. I'm much more drawn to history, biography, science, and cultural things than fiction. The last time I spent significant time reading fiction was when I went back to university in the mid-90s (I was an English Lit major). Fiction holds no attraction for me anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    This. I'm much more drawn to history, biography, science, and cultural things than fiction. The last time I spent significant time reading fiction was when I went back to university in the mid-90s (I was an English Lit major). Fiction holds no attraction for me anymore.
    I'm exactly the other way: because I read so much non-fiction for work, fiction is an absolute lifeline in my down time that allows me to decompress from the stresses of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    I'm exactly the other way: because I read so much non-fiction for work, fiction is an absolute lifeline in my down time that allows me to decompress from the stresses of the day.
    That makes complete sense. By the way, how long have you been in China now? About 8 or more years, correct?

That makes complete sense. By the way, how long have you been in China now? About 8 or more years, correct?
    Not quite as long as that! It'll be five this October.

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    Not quite as long as that! It'll be five this October.
    Persona question: Are you planning to reside there indefinitely? I've been in Korea for nearly 24 years now (though not consecutively). Overall, it's a decent place to live and work though I wish there were something that could be done about the air quality.

Sorry to go so off-topic. Currently reading Graham Hancock's Magicians of the Gods. Up next in the queue: Petty by Warren Zanes, Dear Reader by Michael Malice, Truman by David McCullough, and Empire of the Summer Moon by S.C. Gwynne.

Persona question: Are you planning to reside there indefinitely? I've been in Korea for nearly 24 years now (though not consecutively). Overall, it's a decent place to live and work though I wish there were something that could be done about the air quality.
    No, another year will be quite enough for my wife and I. With the continued downward slide towards something worryingly-resembling totalitarianism here (look up the CCP's 'social credit score' plans), it's going to get harder to do our jobs without constant interference. Also, we both have families in the UK and Greece who aren't getting any younger. Therefore, while the last five years have been very good to us here, China does not really welcome foreigners on a long-term basis, even if we wanted to stay.

Just finished the Graham Chapman and Eric Idle autobiographies. Currently on Joe Hill's "20th Century Ghosts"
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Finally received a copy of Todd Rundgren's autobiography, The Individualist, yesterday and started reading it. The format is cool, and makes it very easy to digest. Only a few "chapters" into the book so far, but it's interesting and informative. Already learned some things I didn't know before.

Death Trance by Graham Masterton
    Published 1986

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Finally received a copy of Todd Rundgren's autobiography, The Individualist, yesterday and started reading it. The format is cool, and makes it very easy to digest. Only a few "chapters" into the book so far, but it's interesting and informative. Already learned some things I didn't know before.
    Very timely post. Just saw this tour on Wednesday.

Death Trance by Graham Masterton
    Love Masterton

While on vacation, I read Mouse in the Rat Pack, a biography of Joey Bishop. I'm a big fan of the Rat Pack and have always liked Joey Bishop. My opinion of him has changed somewhat. He wasn't a very nice guy to those associated with his TV shows, though he was very loyal to Frank and the rest of the Pack. He wrote their nightclub material when they performed together.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

I need to get this. I am a casual Todd fan, but he has had a very interesting career, so I bet it is good.

I am currently reading "Anything For A Hit An A & R Woman's Story Of Surviving The Music Industry" by Dorthy Carvello. So far it is a very interesting book about her years working at Atlantic Records.

Finally I got a copy of The Gospel According Luke by Steve Lukather. I've just started reading it, but I'm already sure I'll love reading this.

Influenced by the Bachman Turner Overdrive thread, I got from the library a copy of Randy Bachman's autobiography, Taking Care of Business. I'll be starting it tonight.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Influenced by the Bachman Turner Overdrive thread, I got from the library a copy of Randy Bachman's autobiography, Taking Care of Business. I'll be starting it tonight.
    Let me know how that turns out for ya. I'm a fan of the man and the music.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Finally I got a copy of The Gospel According Luke by Steve Lukather. I've just started reading it, but I'm already sure I'll love reading this.
    Great book, you will dig it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    It has been a long time since I read it, but i remember it being really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    Been 30 years since I read it, so I am reading the entire Dune series again. Should take me a while.
    You referring to the original 6 novels, or the entirety of the books written in the Dune Universe by Herbert's son and Anderson? If the latter, you probably do not have enough time still left on earth to finish them.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    You referring to the original 6 novels, or the entirety of the books written in the Dune Universe by Herbert's son and Anderson? If the latter, you probably do not have enough time still left on earth to finish them.
    Actually I have gotten thru those as well, excepting the one book "Paul of Dune" - thanks for reminding me that I have to give that a try. I am really enjoying re-reading Dune - the first novel. I will continue until I am "Duned" out. I don't expect I'll re-investigate the Butlerian Jihad series stuff again. Once was probably enough of the Non-Frank stuff. It was OK but lacked... something. Maybe it was Frank Herberts overall intelligence and style of writing - he was a genius, and his son, well maybe not so much - I did enjoy those books but they are at a different level. Still I'd like to get through Chapterhouse, - Isnt that the one Where his son had to finish it? maybe not Chapterhouse, but we'll see how it goes. Its funny, After reading those Dune books, I started to rather dislike the smell and flavor of cinnamon, which I have never really gotten over. That, my friends is having a book really affect you! I do occasionally try a bit of Cinnamon in one of those morning muffin things, but I cannot do it very often. Clearly, I need counseling.

To Offset the weirdness of the Dune stuff, it kind of does get into your head. I am also reading Uriah Heep's story - the band not the character. I am taking a break from my several year foray into Quantum Physics. I started to try to learn Calculus - inspired by the "theoretical minimum" books by Leonard Suskind just for my own benefit and enjoyment, but I discovered - Calculus isn't that fun.... If anyone knows a good book on learning Calculus without realizing how much work it takes... I'm in! Sometimes I wish I could serve a little time behind bars, just so I could force myself to sit and learn... Between the shankings and gang rape, that is...Mabey get stranded on a desert Isle with the library of congress on my nook. - Naw that wouldn't work, I'd just read crap. Kind of like I'm doing now. Anything is better than Cable.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Very timely post. Just saw this tour on Wednesday.
    Nice! How was it?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I need to get this. I am a casual Todd fan, but he has had a very interesting career, so I bet it is good.
    You should. It's great so far! I'm about 1/3 of the way through it now. Very hard for me to put down. Having already gone through the A Wizard, A True Star book by Paul Myers (which is really, really good), this one fills in a lot of the gaps and details. Stuff about his childhood, teen years, time with the Nazz, meeting Laura Nyro... and even more stuff I don't want to give away. All of it's enlightening.

I'm a big fan so I consider it essential, but like you said he has had a very interesting career so I think even casual fans would get some enjoyment out of it.

Nice! How was it?

You should. It's great so far! I'm about 1/3 of the way through it now. Very hard for me to put down. Having already gone through the A Wizard, A True Star book by Paul Myers (which is really, really good), this one fills in a lot of the gaps and details. Stuff about his childhood, teen years, time with the Nazz, meeting Laura Nyro... and even more stuff I don't want to give away. All of it's enlightening.

I'm a big fan so I consider it essential, but like you said he has had a very interesting career so I think even casual fans would get some enjoyment out of it.
    I ordered it and have it on my Kindle, but have not started it yet. I read Bebe Buell's book a few years ago, so interested to hear his side of the story.

Nice! How was it?
    In a word....outstanding! His voice still sounds great and the band was tight.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    Still I'd like to get through Chapterhouse, - Isnt that the one Where his son had to finish it? maybe not Chapterhouse, but we'll see how it goes.
    No, Brian didn't finish any of Frank's books.

What did happen was this: Herbert pére left an outline for an untitled "Dune 7." After finishing the "House" trilogy and the "Legends/Butlerian Jihad" trilogy, Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson took that outline and wrote not one but two novels, Hunters of Dune and Sandworms of Dune. On reading them it seemed clear to me that one of the reasons it took two novels is that they stuck in a bunch of stuff from their own books (notably the L/JB trilogy) - though the main reason is simply that their writing is bloated. Still, I detect Frank's hand in the general shape of the events of those two novels.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.