Page 69 of 176 FirstFirst ... 195965666768697071727379119169 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,725 of 4383

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Crawford Glissadevil View Post
    I once made a list of my top 20 scariest novels, guaranteed to keep you up at night.
    Can you post that list? Much appreciated.

Richard P. Feynman, "QED - The Strange Theory of Light and Matter". (QED = Quantum Electro-Dynamics). Surprisingly easy to read. Feynman is a master at explaining difficult concepts to non-practitioners.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    Can you post that list? Much appreciated.

Somehow the list grew beyond 20 over the years. I'm always on the lookout for very scary. Send me a PM with your recs.

By Stephen King- ( I've read almost every single King novel)
    It
    The Shining
    Pet Sematary

By Clive Barker
    Damnation Game
    Books of Blood (Series of Barker Short Stories...must have)

by Dan Simmons
    Summer of Night
    The Terror
    Song of Kali

by Bentely Little
    The Association
    The Store
    The Resort

by Peter Staub
    Ghost Story
    The Floating Dragon

VAMPIRE'S!
    Dracula by Bram Stoker
    Salem's Lot by Stephen King
    The Narrows by Ronald Malfi
    The Light at the End by Skipp and Spector
    The Passage by Justin Cronin
    Live Girls by Ray Garton
    The Summoning by Bentley Little
    Salem's Lot by Stephen King
    Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons
    They Thirst by Robert McCammon

The 1980's
    Darklings by Ray Garton
    Off Season by Jack Ketchum
    The Girl Next Door by Jack Ketchum
    Stinger by Robert McCammon

Since 2000
    House of Leaves by Mark Z Danielewski
    Handling the Undead by John Ajvide Lindqvitz
    The Ritual by Adam Neville
    Ghost Road Blues by Jonathan Maberry
    Risen by Jan S Stanad" aka- "J. Knight".
    The Ruins by Scott Smith
    Heart Shaped Box - Joe Hill
    Earthworm Gods by Brian Keene
    Ghoul by Brian Keene

60's-70's Haunted Houses
    Burnt Offerings by Robert Marasco
    House Next Door by Anne Rivers Siddons
    Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson
    Maynard's House by Herman Raucher
    Harvest Home by Thomas Tryon
    Hell House by Richard Matheson

RIP...The Masters
    The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty
    Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin
    H. P. Lovecraft- get a version of his Collected Works
    Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury
    Bradbury's short story- "Frost and Fire" scared me.

Terrifying classic literature!
    1984 by George Orwell
    Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding

In my world terrifying horror sometimes differs from well written horror. For example Stephen King's "The Stand" is a well written horror novel but I feel "Pet Sematary" is scarier. Most of the above novels are both well written and terrifying. Literary classics 1984 and Blood Meridian are scarier than most horror novels I've read. Some folks consider the non fiction epidemiology book "The Hot Zone" by Richard Preston chilling horror. My epidemiology professor assigned The Hot Zone as supplemental reading back in the day. I found my Organic Chemistry text book more terrifying.
    Last edited by Crawford Glissadevil; 12-08-2018 at 08:34 AM.

Little Girl Blue: The Life of Karen Carpenter (loaned to me @ ProgDay by my good friend Phil Sunset)
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Somehow the list grew beyond 20 over the years. Please recommend Terrifying back at me. I'm always on the lookout.

by Ray Garton
    Darklings
    Live Girls
    I agree. A Garton book that scared the pants off me is The New Neighbor. Generally, a succubus moves into town and there goes the neighborhood.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    I agree. A Garton book that scared the pants off me is The New Neighbor. Generally, a succubus moves into town and there goes the neighborhood.
    Great! I'll purchase a copy by midnight! Thanks for the terror tip Lopez.

Valancourt republishes lost horror novels from the past.

http://www.valancourtbooks.com/horro...e-fiction.html
    Last edited by Crawford Glissadevil; 11-08-2018 at 01:14 PM.

House of Leaves by Mark Z Danielewski
    Did you listen to the album by Mark's sister Poe, called "Haunted"? It contains many details from the book plus a lot of personal stuff (a bit like Roger Waters).

Great list b.t.w. Especially in the upper regions there are many I've read, but also in the second part there are some that have a place in my collection.

I found my Organic Chemistry text book more terrifying.
    Thanks for the list, and I agree with this comment!

The Lesser Dead by Christopher Buehlman

"House of Leaves" Interbellum Yeah, I have Poe's first album. Makes me ponder genetics and memories of Grandma,

" The Walker's were always talkers. Their mouths run... in the family." I miss Grandma.
    Last edited by Crawford Glissadevil; 11-16-2018 at 12:25 PM.

The Best of Richard Matheson

400 + pages of his short stories. It is amazing how many I recognized through various film adaptations.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    The Best of Richard Matheson

400 + pages of his short stories. It is amazing how many I recognized through various film adaptations.
    I have that. Excellent collection.

I'm about 40 pages into the Dennis Dunaway (bass player in the original Alice Cooper, the group not the guy) autobiography, Snakes! Guillotines! Electric Chairs! (2015). I'm at the point in the book that the Earwigs have changed their name to the Spiders and have become quite the local Phoenix sensation in early 1966.
    Lou

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    I have that. Excellent collection.

I'm about 40 pages into the Dennis Dunaway (bass player in the original Alice Cooper, the group not the guy) autobiography, Snakes! Guillotines! Electric Chairs! (2015). I'm at the point in the book that the Earwigs have changed their name to the Spiders and have become quite the local Phoenix sensation in early 1966.
    That is a good one. I have read both of Cooper's books and Dick Wagner's. Dunaway has yet another take on some of the same stories.

Carl Bernstein and Bob Woodward - The Final Days. Their account of the final days of the Nixon administration, and the sequel to All the President's Men. Amazingly, I bought this in a bookshop in Hanoi, which seemed richly ironic!

Joining in this late in the fray ... Currently reading In Search of Wonder, subtitled "Samuel R. Delany, Race, Identity and Difference", it's a study of one of my two favorite living SF writers, specifically intended to demonstrate that he writes in a number of black traditions/influenced by his AfricanAmerican heritage (as how could he not be...?)

On the horror front I highly recommend the trilogy "Night's Children" by Peter F. Hamilton. It's a space-opera where the dead are coming back and possessing the living, and they are not nice. The three volumes - sometimes each split in two, because they're big - are The Reality Dysfunction, The Neutronium Alchemist, and The Naked God.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Freak Kingdom: Hunter S. Thompson’s Manic Ten-Year Crusade Against American Fascism by Timothy Denevi.

Along with Sheldon Wolin, one of the better chroniclers of the death of US democracy.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Just bought the latest Richard K Morgan - Thin Air, a sci-fi novel based on a future Mars, and Rich Zahradnik - Drop Dead Punk, a New York 70's journalist detective novel. Rich is a friend I used to play soccer with in CT, he really gets the grittiness of NYC in that period, and he's a good guy (though a lousy full back).
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Just started Armistead Maupin, Tales of the City. Seems to be amiable but monumentally pointless.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Carbon Ideologies by William T. Vollmann.

"Nearly every book about climate change that has been written for a general audience contains within it a message of hope, and often a prod toward action. Vollmann declares from the outset that he will not offer any solutions, because he does not believe any are possible: 'Nothing can be done to save the world as we know it; therefore, nothing need be done.' Carbon Ideologies is in the vanguard of the coming second wave of climate literature, books written not to diagnose or solve the problem, but to grapple with its moral consequences."

It's over, babies.....

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I agree that we cannot save the world as it was when we were growing up. I don't agree that nothing should be done. "I can't do my homework because it's difficult," is a lame excuse. We're better than that, even if our politicians are not.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I agree that we cannot save the world as it was when we were growing up. I don't agree that nothing should be done. "I can't do my homework because it's difficult," is a lame excuse. We're better than that, even if our politicians are not.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I agree that we cannot save the world as it was when we were growing up. I don't agree that nothing should be done. "I can't do my homework because it's difficult," is a lame excuse.
    Well, Vollman isn't saying that saving the world--like homework--will be "difficult;" he's saying it can't be done. He predicts a “hotter, more dangerous and biologically diminished planet,” where humans inhabit "underground caves in order to avoid the unendurable heat, plagues, droughts, floods, and methane fireballs racing across boiling oceans. Because the soil is radioactive, humans will subsist on insects and recycled urine."

It's about the violence inflicted by the production of coal, natural gas, oil, and nuclear energy. The victims of these "carbon ideologies" are not only the species of fauna and flora that are going extinct, the fragile ecosystems that will collapse, and the future generations of humans who will have to subsist on insects. The victims are us—we who are now living and who deny, to varying extents, the degree of damage we are inflicting upon ourselves, but that something "can be done." This book is a chronicle of self-harm.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Well, Vollman isn't saying that saving the world--like homework--will be "difficult;" he's saying it can't be done. He predicts a “hotter, more dangerous and biologically diminished planet,” where humans inhabit "underground caves in order to avoid the unendurable heat, plagues, droughts, floods, and methane fireballs racing across boiling oceans. Because the soil is radioactive, humans will subsist on insects and recycled urine."

It's about the violence inflicted by the production of coal, natural gas, oil, and nuclear energy. The victims of these "carbon ideologies" are not only the species of fauna and flora that are going extinct, the fragile ecosystems that will collapse, and the future generations of humans who will have to subsist on insects. The victims are us—we who are now living and who deny, to varying extents, the degree of damage we are inflicting upon ourselves, but that something "can be done." This book is a chronicle of self-harm.
    But as long as the brokers get their bonus' everything will be ok.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I've picked up a few "free" books and series on Amazon over the last 6 months. No, they're not Pulitzer winners but they also aren't bad, most of them. Little known (or unknown) authors hanging their books out there for free so anyone can enjoy them. Some of the story lines and writing are pretty damn good, just not publicized. Worth taking a shot. If you don;t like it in 50 pages toss it and try another.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    If you don;t like it in 50 pages toss it and try another.
    That's about as far as I go with a book if it doesn't click with me. Sometimes I'll go another 25 pages or so just in case. Life's too short to waste time on a book that just isn't doing it for you. I used to believe that once I started a book, I had to finish it no matter what. Not any more.
    Lou

Søren Sveistrup, the architect of the series "The Killing", wrote his first novel "Kastanjemanden" (translated in Dutch in "Oktober" and in English in "The Chestnut Man").
    It reads like one of his tv-series: short chapters, quick actionscenes, a lot of characters, politics and of course horrible crimes....