Page 65 of 176 FirstFirst ... 155561626364656667686975115165 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,625 of 4383

Thread: What are you currently reading?

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Bad enough for me to skip it? I got a pile of books from the library, and arbitrarily chose that one to start.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Bad enough for me to skip it? I got a pile of books from the library, and arbitrarily chose that one to start.
    What else is in your pile?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Currently in the middle of Fat, Drunk, and Stupid by Matty Simmons. It's the story of the making of the movie Animal House. Simmons was a founder of the National Lampoon and a behind-the-scenes guy of the movie. Pretty funny memories of how the movie got off the ground and info about the actors who played the parts. Never knew that Peter Riegert (Boone) was Bette Midler's boyfriend at the time the movie was made.
    Just ordered that based on your post. I was not aware of it.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Just ordered that based on your post. I was not aware of it.
    If you're a big fan of Animal House like I am, you'll enjoy the book, Steve. I have on order from the Boston Public Library Chris Miller's (one of the screenwriters) reminisces about frat life at Dartmouth, The Real Animal House: The Awesomely Depraved Saga of the Fraternity That Inspired the Movie. Should be ready for me to pickup today. I'll report back after reading it.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Just started "1793" by Niklas Natt Och Dag from Sweden (in Dutch translation).
    Historic thriller.

If you're a big fan of Animal House like I am, you'll enjoy the book, Steve. I have on order from the Boston Public Library Chris Miller's (one of the screenwriters) reminisces about frat life at Dartmouth, The Real Animal House: The Awesomely Depraved Saga of the Fraternity That Inspired the Movie. Should be ready for me to pickup today. I'll report back after reading it.
    There was a fairly recent 2 hour documentary on TV about the making of Animal House, although I don't remember which network that was really interesting. I am sure the book will go into even more depth.

Fluke by Christopher Moore

Quite possibly the most bizarre thing I have ever read. The premise of the story is a life long whale researcher is out in the Hawaiian Islands recording, and trying to figure
    out why the humpback whale (male) sings. By the way, Fluke here references the two horizontal flat ends of a whale tail. Much to his surprise, the scientist comes across a humpback
    who has "Bite Me" written in black on his flukes. It just gets weirder from there on out. Typically filled with Moore's irreverent humor. Consistently funny is Kona, the hired hand. 20 something
    blonde haired dread wearing local surfer boy who speaks in a combination of Rasta/Pidgin. Any fan of Moore needs to read this.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

"The Snake"- John Godey

I'm always looking for justification for my upbeat, hopeful personality. " Enlightenment Now: The Case for Reason, Science, Humanism, and Progress "by Steven Pinker enlightens the progress of mankind in a way Eighteenth century scientists would have approved. Lotsa data. You can make your own conclusions. Mine are a happy future outlook for my four children and four grandchildren.
    The Culture Cafe, Sundays 6-9am on WWUH-FM
    Broadcasting from the University of Hartford, CT at 91.3FM, streaming at www.wwuh.streamrewind.com and at www.wwuh.org

My first Elmore Leonard book - Killshot

Any Elmore fans with recs here?
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

"Five Carat Soul" by James McBride, a collection of previously unpublished short stories. This is my first exposure to this author and he's kind of blown me out of my chair. I'm partial to the short story form and these are some of the best I've read. He creates vibrant, memorable characters and places them within compelling stories. If you enjoy short stories I'd recommend this collection.

Reading another rock bio (are you seeing a pattern here) written by Joe Walsh's ex called "Rock Monster My Life With Joe Walsh". I am only part way into it, but it has been pretty interesting so far.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
    I'm always looking for justification for my upbeat, hopeful personality. " Enlightenment Now: The Case for Reason, Science, Humanism, and Progress "by Steven Pinker enlightens the progress of mankind in a way Eighteenth century scientists would have approved. Lotsa data. You can make your own conclusions. Mine are a happy future outlook for my four children and four grandchildren.

If you are looking for justification for your optimism the new book "Factfulness - Ten Reasons We're Wrong About the World and Why Things are Better Than You Think" by Hans Rosling is right up your alley. I just got it from the library today and only read the introduction. I'm looking forward to reading it.

I tried editing this post but it got deleted. Posting again.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    The Girl In The Moon by Terry Goodkind
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Last First Snow by Max Gladstone, another bewildering and wonderful entry in his Craft series. I am addicted to these books and I have absolutely no clue how to describe them.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Vineland by Thomas Pynchon

Currently I'm reading "Hello America" by J.G. Ballard (recently translated again in Dutch in a fine series containing modern classic SF-writers like Ballard and Dick).
    I've also started "The Seven Deaths Of Evelyn Hardcastle" by Stuart Turton:

Chris Miller's (one of the screenwriters) reminisces about frat life at Dartmouth, The Real Animal House: The Awesomely Depraved Saga of the Fraternity That Inspired the Movie. ... I'll report back after reading it.
    Just finished this one. It's wilder and more perverse than the movie could ever be, and I loved every page of it. I was in a fraternity in college, and as nuts as it was, it was never like this. The book is told from the point of view of Pinto, the Tom Hulce character in the movie and the real-life Chris Miller. All through it I'm thinking this can't be true. I even looked up references on the internet, and most of the places and events mentioned are real. At one point (in 1961), Pinto pops the pull-tab on a can of 7-Up. Pull-tabs were invented in 1962. The "Where Are They Now" section at the end, hints at what may be real and what may not be.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Stunts by Charles L. Grant

Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    Vineland by Thomas Pynchon
    Welcome to Digressionland Philsunset! Let us know your thoughts. I'm curious.

[QUOTE=Bartellb;826149]If you are looking for justification for your optimism the new book "Factfulness - Ten Reasons We're Wrong About the World and Why Things are Better Than You Think" by Hans Rosling is right up your alley. I just got it from the library today and only read the introduction. I'm looking forward to reading it.

“One of the most important books I’ve ever read―an indispensable guide to thinking clearly about the world.” – Bill Gates

Thanks Bartellb. You are right - up my alley. I think they are saying the same thing, Pinker in a million words more, as usual.
    I met a guy in South Africa who was saying how the present administration was "fixing all the problems with America". I asked him what problems he was referring to, and this stumped him. He was totally under the impression America was in ruins - bankrupt economy, illegal migrant around every corner, high unemployment, etc. This book gave me confidence to present another, less hysterical reality of the world - Enlightened Progress.
    The Culture Cafe, Sundays 6-9am on WWUH-FM
    Broadcasting from the University of Hartford, CT at 91.3FM, streaming at www.wwuh.streamrewind.com and at www.wwuh.org

One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez

Keith Rowe-The Room Extended by Brian Olewnick.Bio of former AMM guitarist Keith Rowe.Pretty good, so far.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

The Sirens Of Titan by a guy named Vonnegut. No really... that's the guy's name.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    The Sirens Of Titan by a guy named Vonnegut. No really... that's the guy's name.
    Inspired by an earlier work by Kilgore Trout
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart