Page 63 of 177 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773113163 ... LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,575 of 4412

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    I like Bentley Little a lot. His novels tend to be a bit formulaic, but I enjoy them, nonetheless. I particularly liked one of his latest, The Consultant, about a sadistic efficiency expert, Regus Patoff (Reg. U.S. Pat. Off.). His short stories are quite good, too. By the way, he's a progressive music fan. His earlier novels mention several prog bands his protagonists listen to.
    Cool, thanks for the info!

Just started "The Blind Assassin" by Margaret Atwood. It's written in her inimitable style. It's basically a book within a book. It starts off a little sprawling and unwieldy, with her sardonic wit front and centre. I know she'll bring it all together in the end. A true Canadian treasure and one of the best writers alive today imo.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Jonas T. Bengtsson: "Et Eventyr" (A Fairy Tail), in Dutch translation. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...0-a-fairy-tale
    Coming-of-age novel, a bit comparable with Cormac McCarthy's "The Road", because it's about a young boy travelling with his father who has a history of his own.

“Sorry Please Thank You” by Charles Yu, a book of short stories published in various magazines. His stuff is pretty meta, writing about writing and writing about being a character in a video game and writing about mining emotions and writing about all of his alternate selves in the multi-universe. Can’t say all of it works, but it’s challenging.

Read his “How To Live In A Science Fictional Universe” last week. It had some nice similar traits, but in the end was too wordy for it’s own good.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 06-06-2018 at 03:56 PM.

I am currently reading Bill Grahm's autobiography, "Bill Grahm Presents My Life Inside Rock And Out". So far it has been a very interesting look at the concert world in the 60's and early 70's.

Graham?

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Graham?
    Ooops.......yes.

Spaceman by astronaut Mike Massimino. He was on two missions to service the Hubble telescope. He autographed my book after his talk. Interesting guy.

Just finished "The Perfume Burned His Eyes" by Michael Imperioli (of Sopranos fame). A fictional coming-of-age story about a teenager who moves into the same Manhattan apartment building as Lou Reed in the mid-70s. He has no idea who this weird, skinny, bleached blonde guy with the leather jacket is, but is drawn to his strange genius and becomes his errand boy, confidant and ultimately friend. I found it engaging, though a relatively short read. The ending I thought was particularly moving.

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    Just finished "The Perfume Burned His Eyes" by Michael Imperioli (of Sopranos fame). A fictional coming-of-age story about a teenager who moves into the same Manhattan apartment building as Lou Reed in the mid-70s. He has no idea who this weird, skinny, bleached blonde guy with the leather jacket is, but is drawn to his strange genius and becomes his errand boy, confidant and ultimately friend. I found it engaging, though a relatively short read. The ending I thought was particularly moving.
    Interesting. In The Sopranos, his character Christopher Moltisanto was always trying to get a scriptwriting career off the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    This one is on deck deck. A friend just gave me Flicker by Theodore Roszak. We're both horror movie fans, so he suggested this and gave me a spare copy. Anybody familiar with this one? Just have to finished a Hard Case Crime novel, then it's Flicker, then it's Michael Imperioli.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by headcrash
    I never saw the Sopranos, but I looked up Imperioli and recognize his face, so I have seen him in movies or TV. My memory of films and actors is practically the opposite of my memory of music. Thanks for the heads up about his new novel. Right now, I have more books than I have time for reading. One I have on deck is Adjustment Day by Chuck Palahniuk.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I've been spending most of the money I spend on books on music. I need to correct this.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

"The Nestling" by Charles L. Grant

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I never saw the Sopranos, but I looked up Imperioli and recognize his face, so I have seen him in movies or TV. My memory of films and actors is practically the opposite of my memory of music. Thanks for the heads up about his new novel. Right now, I have more books than I have time for reading. One I have on deck is Adjustment Day by Chuck Palahniuk.
    I'm guessing "Adjustment Day" isn't your first Palahniuk novel? I'm curious how "Adjustment Day" ranks among the Palahniuk pantheon. Haven't read that one yet.

I have read many of his books. Haven't started the latest, Adjustment Day, yet. Soon.
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Jonas T. Bengtsson: "Et Eventyr" (A Fairy Tail), in Dutch translation. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...0-a-fairy-tale
    Coming-of-age novel, a bit comparable with Cormac McCarthy's "The Road", because it's about a young boy travelling with his father who has a history of his own.
    After finishing the book I took a closer look at the back of it and noticed that Bengtsson has also written "Submarino", which got a film-adaption from Thomas Vinterberg (featuring Choir Of Young Believers' "Hollow Talk")

I just bought John Fowles: The Magus for my daughter (24).
    Considered reading it again, but fear I am to old.

I never saw the Sopranos, but I looked up Imperioli and recognize his face
    The Sopranos is violent and amoral but it's utterly fascinating. I can't imagine not having experienced the whole journey.

Finished The Blind Assassin. I had guessed the plot about 2/3 of the way in....

Just started The Alienist by Caleb Carr. Enjoyed the Netflix series so now I want to read the book it was inspired from.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Fool by Christopher Moore.

Having previously read his hysterical book Lamb (about the childhood of Christ) I had to delve further into his catalog.
    With Fool, this time Moore sets his sights on The Bard. Specifically, King Lear. His adaptation of this classic piece is
    another winner. Crude, perverse, sarcastic, and always funny. There shall indeed be much "heinous fuckery" in this tale!
    Fans of Python and sarcasm in general should definitely check this author out.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

I really want to read Moore's new one, Noir. I'll have to add Fool and Lamb to the list, too.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I really want to read Moore's new one, Noir. I'll have to add Fool and Lamb to the list, too.
    Lamb is still the funniest book I have ever read!

Just finished Moore's Lamb a couple days ago. Have Noir on deck for when I finish Palahniuk's Adjustment Day. Pretty sure I read Fool a while back.

Just finished Moore's Lamb a couple days ago. Have Noir on deck for when I finish Palahniuk's Adjustment Day. Pretty sure I read Fool a while back.
    What did you think of Lamb?