Page 55 of 177 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965105155 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 4416

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Democracy in Chains: The Deep History of The Radical Right’s Stealth Plan for America, by Nancy McLean.

It's not news that there is "a vast right-wing conspiracy," just that it's far scarier than we thought.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    The Half-Drowned King by Linnea Hartsuyker
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Banned
    Just finished Author C. Clark's City and the Stars. A friend lent me a copy - for some reason I had never read this one and now I think it's probably his best. Fantastic imagining of humanity's distant future. Recommend.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Democracy in Chains: The Deep History of The Radical Right’s Stealth Plan for America, by Nancy McLean.

It's not news that there is "a vast right-wing conspiracy," just that it's far scarier than we thought.
    Thanks for the reminder - heard the author interviewed on Majority Report and need to pick this up for sure.

I'm reading Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (aka, some writer of modest means named JK Rowling). Pretty good. I used to read a lot of mysteries but haven't for some time. Some very good characters and while the plot is somewhat old school, there's no telling where it's going.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    Does anyone know who the author is who some say Stephen King copied ideas from? That author wrote Twilight Zone type stories but can't remember his name. I'd like to read some of his stories. Thanks if you can help!
    I just read two books by Richard Matheson. In the front page "Praise for Richard Matheson" there is a quote from Stephen King saying "The author who influenced me the most as a writer is Richard Matheson "
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    I just read two books by Richard Matheson. In the front page "Praise for Richard Matheson" there is a quote from Stephen King saying "The author who influenced me the most as a writer is Richard Matheson "
    King has been accused of stealing from Matheson, and when called on it, King has retorted, "Yes, I steal; but I steal from the best."
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    King has been accused of stealing from Matheson, and when called on it, King has retorted, "Yes, I steal; but I steal from the best."

Ashes, by Sergios Gakas (translated by Ann-Marie Stanton-Ife)

I'm much into the work of Jess Walter lately. Although I don't read much short stories, I like his tales about crazy, sad people from Spokane.
    Currently I'm reading two short stories, Falling Faintly and Drafting, which were collected in one nice book (in Dutch).
    Next: Land Of The Blind (2003), recently translated into Dutch.

Just finished Revelation Space by Allastair Reynolds. I think some of the science at the end eluded me though.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

For those who have read Hell House, I just saw a movie last night based on it. "The Legend of Hell House" was on Netflix.
    It was filmed in 1973. Matheson wrote the screenplay, and it starred Roddy McDowall. Held rather true to the novel. However,
    it could be a little difficult to follow if you weren't familiar with the story line beforehand. Pretty creepy for such an old film.

The new John le Carré. A kind of closing of the Smiley circle.

Masterful.

After I'd finished Apathy For The Devil from Nick Kent (rock NME trashist), I'm now on Hippie Hippie Shake from Richard Neville (the Oz journal founder).

Not as immediate aor easily readable as the previous one, it's kind of more exciting to read about London's scene in the later 60's (Neville's) than the mid-70's (Kunt's), thpough
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Currently reading Woody Woodmansy's book about his years as drummer for David Bowie and the Spiders From Mars. I am about half way through it and very interesting so far.

Henry David Thoreau A Life by Laura Dassow Walls.
    Great new biography out on this 200 year anniversary of Thoreau's birth.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Currently reading Woody Woodmansy's book about his years as drummer for David Bowie and the Spiders From Mars. I am about half way through it and very interesting so far.
    I read this one about 4 months ago. Good stuff. Enjoyed it very much. Hard too believe, if you don't count American side-Spider Mike Garson, that Woody is the only Spider from Mars left.
    Lou

The Water Will Come: Rising Seas, Sinking Cities, and the Reshaping of the Civilized World, Jeff Goodell.

Make for higher ground, people.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Is there a site like RYM for novels/literature, btw??
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Is there a site like RYM for novels/literature, btw??
    goodreads.com

Fantastic website
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

The Maias by Eça de Queirós.

I'm off to Lisboa for a few days, & having read Pessoa & Saramago in the past, I wanted to explore some new literature from that great city. De Queirós is renowned as the country's greatest novelist, writing in the latter half of the 19th century - a writer of comparable stature to contemporaries such as Tolstoy, Dickens & Balzac.

I am thoroughly enjoying the book thus far - & am looking forward to renewing acquaintance with one of Europe's finest cities!

Banned
    My bank statements

Hide and Seek by Jack Ketchum
    Lou

Simon Tolkien: "No Man's Land" (no, not about Steven Wilson's old band).
    It's partly based on the war-experiences of his grand-father J.R.R.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Hide and Seek by Jack Ketchum