Page 46 of 177 FirstFirst ... 364243444546474849505696146 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,150 of 4416

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    3/4 through Robin Hobb's "Fool's Assassin", the first of the latest Fitz and the Fool trilogy. I love this stuff.
    Is the third one out? I was waiting for a completed series before taking the plunge.

Meanwhile, I'm just finishing up The Name Of The Wind by Rothfuss... It's a slow burner but very much a page turner.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post

Meanwhile, I'm just finishing up The Name Of The Wind by Rothfuss... It's a slow burner but very much a page turner.
    Didn't enjoy that one all that much, my brother loved it.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Life Keith Richards.. got this as a birthday present a couple years ago and it got put in the stack of books to read.. just getting to it.. Wonderful account of his life..

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Life Keith Richards.. got this as a birthday present a couple years ago and it got put in the stack of books to read.. just getting to it.. Wonderful account of his life..
    "Life" is definitely on my "to-do" list...
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    A great read.

Well, this is not exactly a book to read: Komma by Antonia Hirsch "After Dalton Trumbo's JOHNNY GOT HIS GUN"

komma.jpg

Komma (after Dalton Trumbo's Johnny Got His Gun)
    16mm film installation, audio
    dimensions variable
    [cover image: installation view at Tramway, Glasgow, 2012]
    The clip available here is the video version of a 16mm film normally presented in an installation context. In installation, the room is lit only by whatever light is emitted by the projector. Similarly, the sound originates from the projector's built-in speaker.
    Komma (after Dalton Trumbo’s Johnny Got His Gun) is a film based on Hollywood script writer Dalton Trumbo’s seminal anti-war novel. The project re-imagines Dalton Trumbo’s work through its syntactical idiosyncrasy.
    Set around the time of World War I, the novel with its—then particularly inconvenient—anti-war message, was first published in 1939. The book came into true prominence during the Vietnam war era, after its author had re-emerged from McCarthyist blacklisting throughout the 1950s.
    The central device of Trumbo’s novel is the body of the protagonist, a young American soldier who, incredibly, has lost his face and both arms and legs during combat. Unable to see, speak, hear, smell, or act, he is fully conscious, but seemingly completely without agency. As he struggles to come to terms with his personal tragedy, he strains to communicate with ‘the outside world.’
    The entire book was written without commas, though all other punctuation conforms to established conventions. The term comma is derived from Greek komma, meaning 'something cut off.' The film marks the location where commas would appear according to the Chicago Style Manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    I have started on Kip Thorne's book Black Holes and Time Warps. Very good, but can I please find something that is post 7/4/12? (Discovery of Higgs Boson) All the stuff I'm reading about Quantum/Cosmology/science is dated.

Tonight I picked up Sean Carrolls "The Big Picture" - We'll see if a more recent book is more up to date. I am tired of reading about how someday we will detect gravitational waves. We did that in early 2016. Cant anyone stay up with this?

I read stuff like this, because I am really quite a stupid person, and reading this stuff makes me feel like I actually can use my brain. What a strange world we live in. Stanger than fiction.
    Carlo Rovelli's new book doesn't post-date the confirmation of the Higgs Boson...but it is outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    Picked up one I that I had never read before Le Carre's "The Spy Who Came In From The Cold", what a great story and so evocatively told, and although set in a world half s decade ago, it's still so compelling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Even appreciating all the brilliant work accomplished by Le Carre subsequently, there's a case to be made that this remains his best, & most important, book.

The film adaptation, with Richard Burton, does the book ample justice - & is a fine achievement on its own terms.

^ so many novels these days are so densely packed that the economy of the story telling and the gentle teasing out of the plot struck a chord.

Jefferson James
    I'm reading up on Canadian immigration laws.

Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post
    I'm reading up on Canadian immigration laws.
    I heard that they're building a wall.

But they're going to make us pay for it.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    Even appreciating all the brilliant work accomplished by Le Carre subsequently, there's a case to be made that this remains his best, & most important, book.

The film adaptation, with Richard Burton, does the book ample justice - & is a fine achievement on its own terms.
    Seconded. That was a fantastic novel. I have to revisit the movie version. It's been a long time, and of course, now I'd compare / contrast it to "A Most Wanted Man" (which I did like a lot)

regards
    KGH
    www.artbykgh.com

Wherein one can peruse all manner of Digital Artwork & Photography. . .

I'm tearing through Charles Stross's The Apocalypse Codex, the fifth Laundry Files book. The Laundry Files is a series of "Lovercraftian spy thrillers". Highly addictive if Stross' writing style works for you.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post

"Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Just started the three volumes of Shelby Foote's A Civil War Narrative.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Keigo Higashino: The Devotion of Suspect X
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Devotion_of_Suspect_X

The Magician's Nephew by C.S. Lewis
    The villain is Jadis, the Empress (and destroyer of) Charn. She just happens to be the White Witch also in The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe.
    She destroys Charn using special spells and speaking "The Deporable Word". She also believes she is above all laws and authority because she considers herself the "Queen of Queens". Does this sound like anyone you know?

Just started the latest Hap and Leonard novel, Honky Tonk Samurai, by Joe R. Lansdale. Great opening lines, "I don't think we ask for trouble, me and Leonard. It just finds us."
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Just started Armageddon Rag by George RR Martin
    Read that a few years ago. Enjoyed it a lot. Good stuff.
    µ

I've stopped about halfway through (I love it), because of more urgent reading , but read four pages yesterday (though I will put it down again for a couple of weeks)

Tell me, does this go fantasy/satanist/evil with super-natural happenings?
    I can't help but fearing it will go in that direction
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Tell me, does this go fantasy/satanist/evil with super-natural happenings?
    I can't help but fearing it will go in that direction
    I think so, but I really can't remember completely as it's been over 15 years since I read it. I may have to read it again, as I did find it very satisfying and I'm not big on satanist/evil stuff.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

I'll be reading Robert Vaughn's autobiography A Fortunate Life upon its arrival.

I am trying to finish the biography of Brahms by Jan Swafford before it's due back at the library.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    I am trying to finish the biography of Brahms by Jan Swafford before it's due back at the library.
    Lemme guess: it keeps putting you to sleep?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Lemme guess: it keeps putting you to sleep?
    I'm not a big fan of all of the one-liners on PE, but that one is perfect! :-o

Let me guess, because of the results of our election they are trying to keep us out. Right?