Page 35 of 177 FirstFirst ... 253132333435363738394585135 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you currently reading?

I'm about halfway through Book 2 of Robin Hobb's "The Tawny Man" trilogy. This, along with the first trilogy set in this world (The Farseer Trilogy) is some of the better high fantasy that I have read. The characters are very "human", with the protagonist being one of the most melancholic and tragic heroes I have ever encountered in the genre.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

I'm reading "Kafka on the Shore" and loving it...

William Styron's short story "The Long March", an older book from this author who impressed me with "Sophie's Choice" long before the movie was made.

I haven't been able to put down Bruce Cockburn's book "Rumours Of Glory" in the past few days. It's a really fascinating
    read in which he covers not only many aspects of his life like his relationships and faith candidly but also gets deeply into what brought him into his involvement with world politics and humanitarian causes. In it, he discusses quite often a deep hatred of the U.S.'s involvement in places like Chile, Nicaragua etc and how every time, it has been based not on the U.S. wanting to help but rather because of their corporate interests, greed etc. The atrocities that have been perpetrated on people because of this are eye-opening to say the least! Perhaps the most fascinating part of the book however(if you're a Cockburn fan) is how he explains what inspired many of his songs in great detail. As a fan of his music, it's sometimes difficult to figure out exactly what motivated some of his best songs, so this is really a benefit to understanding the songs and the person. Highly recommended reading!
    We are the grandchildren of apes, not angels
    But only we are gifted with the eyes to see
    On days without FEAR, when our heads are clear
    That angels, we could be
    (Marillion 2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Birdy View Post
    In it, he discusses quite often a deep hatred of the U.S.'s involvement in places like Chile, Nicaragua etc and how every time, it has been based not on the U.S. wanting to help but rather because of their corporate interests, greed etc. The atrocities that have been perpetrated on people because of this are eye-opening to say the least!
    This would only serve to piss me off.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Without dipping this thread into politics, Cockburn doesn't just shoot from the hip in this book but gives us facts and figures to back what he claims. He also does not speak of a hatred of the USA in general on his part (he lives in Frisco), merely certain aspects of the USA's foreign policy strategies. Every developed country in the world has a similar dark underbelly. Personally, I did not find that part of the book as enjoyable as reading about his early years playing the Toronto folk circuit and opening for the likes of Jimi Hendrix and Soft Machine. I found Cockburn to be very candid about his shortcomings in this book. As Birdy stated, certain chapters speak of certain creative periods in his life and some lyrics are printed at the end of chapters, illustrating things he saw, felt, and struggled to comprehend during certain periods of his life. I read the book sitting at home with Cockburn's music in the background, last winter. One track ( I believe it was Pacing The Cage) came up randomly as I was reading the lyrics in the book. It was a little surreal...
    Last edited by Yves; 11-12-2015 at 09:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    This would only serve to piss me off.
    My intention also was not to turn things political as I have little interest in that but I'm curious Scott as to "pissing you
    off:, toward Cockburn or as to things mentioned in regard to the U.S.'s actions?
    That angels, we could be
    (Marillion 2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Birdy View Post
    My intention also was not to turn things political as I have little interest in that but I'm curious Scott as to "pissing you
    off:, toward Cockburn or as to things mentioned in regard to the U.S.'s actions?
    Sorry - not trying to turn it political, either. Cockburn would not piss me off - reading about that stuff would piss me off. But you and Yves both make this sound like an interesting read.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Sorry - not trying to turn it political, either. Cockburn would not piss me off - reading about that stuff would piss me off. But you and Yves both make this sound like an interesting read.
    That was my experience as well, the knowledge that all this shit happens to innocent people and most of it is planned or at the very least ignored conveniently by the powers that be. Thanks.
    That angels, we could be
    (Marillion 2016)

Just bought the Kindle edition of John Irving's new one, "Avenue of Mysteries." Though I'm a big fan, his last one, "In One Person" was my least favorite of his, hope he's back on form! I do my reading on planes and have a flight from Chicago to Vegas tomorrow (it's a gig; the only reason I'd ever go to Vegas) and that's when I'll start it.

Just finished John Sandford / CTein's Saturn Run - interesting change of pace from the Prey and Flowers series writer...
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Quote Originally Posted by -=RTFR666=- View Post
    Just finished John Sandford / CTein's Saturn Run - interesting change of pace from the Prey and Flowers series writer...
    How was that? I'm a huge Sandford fan, and was really surprised that he's trying SF.

Just finished John Fogerty’s recent book. It was very interesting. He certainly feels like he has been wronged by a lot of people over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Just finished John Fogerty’s recent book. It was very interesting. He certainly feels like he has been wronged by a lot of people over the years.
    ... because he HAS; even by his own brother, who passed away before there was any reconciliation.

Just finished reading Quarry's Choice by Max Allan Collins. Easy, quick, and fun-reading novel about a hit man who targets other hit men. There's about 6 or 7 Quarry novels out there. Fun stuff if you like action-packed, sexy crime novels.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Let me ask my fantasy reading friends here about a few bundles I'm thinking of reading:

Mistborn- Brian Sanderson

Gentleman Bastards- Scott Lynn

Monarchies Of God- Paul Kearney

Anybody got any feedback on these? Goodreads tends to rate all 3 somewhat highly but I'm looking for other opinions...

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Just bought the Kindle edition of John Irving's new one, "Avenue of Mysteries." Though I'm a big fan, his last one, "In One Person" was my least favorite of his, hope he's back on form! I do my reading on planes and have a flight from Chicago to Vegas tomorrow (it's a gig; the only reason I'd ever go to Vegas) and that's when I'll start it.
    I wanted to buy this one too, but they hadn't the hard-back edition I like to have, so I'll have to be patient. I've read about all his books, but to be honest I especially remember his older ones (maybe because many were filmed).

How was that? I'm a huge Sandford fan, and was really surprised that he's trying SF.

Typical Sandford for good dialogue, interesting characters - as I understand it co-author Ctein was the technical authority. Interesting take on what the future brings and the evolution of social media. Lots of exposition provided in the guise of the media presence that accompanies the expedition, serves to give the layman reader a good understanding of what might come to pass based on today's developing technology concepts and theories. I was a little PO'd with the conclusion to the plot, but political expediency is what it is I suppose. YMMV.
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Thanks!

Probably next on my list.

On the third volume of Lev Grossman's Magician series: The Magicians, The Magician King, Magicians Land. If you are a fantasy reader but tired of the usual swords and horses saga then this might be right up your alley. Humorous writing and a great story line. I'm thoroughly enjoying these.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Let me ask my fantasy reading friends here about a few bundles I'm thinking of reading:

Anybody got any feedback on these? Goodreads tends to rate all 3 somewhat highly but I'm looking for other opinions...
    I'm not a big fan of Sandersons style.

Gentlemen Bastards is definitely a book you need to check out, but it is in the overly accurate blood and guts style where everyone is a bad guy and there's lots of descriptive fighting.

I've read other Kearney stuff but don't know this one.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post

I like Kearney. Not my absolute fave but he's good and Monarchies (in the new omnibus) has a good reputation. Never read Sanderson but for a couple short pieces. He does action and violence well but he is a Later Day Saint and thus avoids sex and swearing like a nun. Scott Lynch is great, especially if you like the darker stuff. The first two books are wonderful but the third is a little problematic. Scott had a severe battle with depression and had a really hard time finishing that book. It shows in that it gets bogged down in places. However by the end it sets up the coming catastrophes that will drive the rest of the series and I have a feeling that he's got a firm grip on the rudder now, this story is going to kick ass.

Right now I'm reading Do Not Sell At Any Price: The Wild, Obsessive Hunt for the World's Rarest 78rpm Records by Amanda Petrusich. It's fascinating. These guys make most of the denizens here look like tame kittens when it comes to fanaticism about music. The middle chapters were more about Amanda but the chapter I just finished just had the legendary Joe Bussard and he lived up to the legend as the crankiest, most fanatical SOB and collector on earth. I shall continue.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Thanks guys... I know Sanderson helped finish The Wheel Of Time; a series I never was patient enough to finish. The Scott Lynn series was the one I was leaning towards so I'll download a sample from iBooks once I finish The Tawny Man trilogy... I see where Hobb already has 2 books out in a third trilogy in this world, but I'll take a break from reading them until book 3 is out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Right now I'm reading Do Not Sell At Any Price: The Wild, Obsessive Hunt for the World's Rarest 78rpm Records by Amanda Petrusich. It's fascinating. These guys make most of the denizens here look like tame kittens when it comes to fanaticism about music. The middle chapters were more about Amanda but the chapter I just finished just had the legendary Joe Bussard and he lived up to the legend as the crankiest, most fanatical SOB and collector on earth. I shall continue.
    A co-worker suggested that book to me a few months ago. Thank you for the reminder. I'll go to my library's reserve site and will request it after I finish here.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Aha, now I know where I knew Amanda Petrusich from: "Pink Moon", one of the books in the 33 1/3 series.