Page 32 of 177 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435364282132 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Poisoned Heart: I Married Dee Dee Ramone by Vera Ramone King. Mildly interesting account of life with Dee Dee and his wife of 17 years Vera. I would be more interesting if she supplied more information about Dee Dee as a Ramone, but I guess that's not the crux of the book. We all know he was a drug addict, and she has to drill that in on every page. She's a rather poor writer, too, who didn't get a good copyedit.

I recently read Johnny Ramones' autobiography, Commando. That is better written but is still kind of all over the place. He acknowledges that he was a tyrant in the band.

The best Ramones book I've read yet, and there are a lot of them out there, is that by Joey's brother Mickey Leigh I Slept with Joey Ramone, which I mentioned on the previous page. Beside drinking and drugging, he had debilitating obsessive compulsive disorder. Sometimes it would take him an hour just to cross a street.

All three books give good accounts of the awful time they had with Phil Spector producing their record End of the Century. Talk about your lunatics.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Just started:

Fiction - Preston & Child: Blue Labyrinth
    Nonfiction - David McCullough: The Wright Brothers
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Harbor by John Ajvide Lindqvist
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

The Dawn Of Indian Music In The West by Peter Lavezzoli.This came highly recommended by several people whose opinions i value.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Readme by Neal Stephenson

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Poisoned Heart: I Married Dee Dee Ramone

All three books give good accounts of the awful time they had with Phil Spector producing their record End of the Century. Talk about your lunatics.
    I have read several books with chapters about people’s experiences working with Spector and yea the dude appears to have been a nut case in just about every account. Brilliant, but a nut case just the same.

Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Finished Harbor, and recommend it to any horror fiction fans.

Now reading Paradise Sky, a new one from Joe R. Lansdale. Also started Sick In The Head by Judd Apatow. Turns out to be a series of his interviews of comedians. I'll see it it holds my interest.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    The Dawn Of Indian Music In The West by Peter Lavezzoli.This came highly recommended by several people whose opinions i value.
    Gotta read this. Let me know how it is when you finish it!

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    I read The Man in the High Castle years ago, Yves, on someone's recommendation. If I remember correctly, you've outlined the basic story. I found it not to be an easy book to read; I think because there's not a lot of action. I'll have to give it another try.
    I thought the same. I'm a great lover of SF and I do like me some "alternate universe" themes, but I found the book rather plodding, almost up until the very end. I had to keep reminding myself that it was set in an alternate reality - otherwise it could have been just another rather boring story of political intrigue.

I'm currently reading "Revelation Space" by Alastair Reynolds, after this author was recommended by a number of PE members. I'm struggling a bit with it actually. It seems like a series of mini-adventures that are barely connected with one another, and I'm hoping the threads come together later on and build to some sort of climax.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I have read several books with chapters about people’s experiences working with Spector and yea the dude appears to have been a nut case in just about every account. Brilliant, but a nut case just the same.
    Considering what happened later regarding Spector, it seems the Ramones were lucky to get out of those sessions alive - though ironically Spector, even though he has been "put away", managed to outlive all of them.

Joe Meek, best known for the instrumental hit "Telstar", but also a highly successful producer, also went somewhat bonkers, killing his landlady before turning the gun on himself. Is there a correlation between musical production genius and psychopathic behaviour? Worthy of a research paper.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Just finished "Perdido Street Station" by China Mieville (as I was taking a break from my recent obsession with classic High Fantasy), loved it and was about to read his "The Scar" when I picked up the new Robin Hobb "Fool's Assassin" at B&N, then realized I had yet to read the second Fitz/Fool trilogy, so just started "Fool's Errand".

Just this morning on the trolley to work, I finished Providence Noir, an anthology of mystery and mysteryish stories set in my home town of Providence, RI. Fun stuff, especially since I could visualize all the places mentioned in the stories.

Now I'm on to Moondog: The Viking of 6th Avenue, by Robert Scotto, a biography of the eccentric composer. I met him once in New York in 1971. Interesting guy.
    Lou

Just finished reading Jess Walter's "The Zero". I noticed the original book is from 2006, but it was just recently translated into Dutch.

Any suggestion what I should read next? "Citizen Vince" perhaps?

Reading the Jack Bruce bio....."Jack Bruce: Composing Himself."

Good stuff.

I'm almost but not quite ashamed to admit that I just finished yet another Stephen King book, "Mr. Mercedes." Another winner, it was great! Even had a good ending!

Part of me wishes to branch out and read novelists I'm not familiar with, the other part wants to stick with writers I have a lot of faith in (and there's not a ton of them). Some (like Baldacci and Hiaasen) really pulled me in at first, but after a while, their stories got too similar. King is really good at changing it up and switching genres imo; Mr. Mercedes had no supernatural elements, for example. Mostly, I think he just writes great, convincing characters and this last one was no exception. Apparently, it's the first of a trilogy; the second one, "Finders Keepers" is next and the third has yet to be. I liked the protagonists in this last one so much that I'll probably continue on.

Banned
    The Wright Brothers - David McCulough

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    The Wright Brothers - David McCulough
    Just finished this one last week. Incredible the short shrift afforded them at the time by our government and those pinheads w/the Smithsonian.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Part of me wishes to branch out and read novelists I'm not familiar with
    Try Joe R. Lansdale. He's done science fiction, horror, weird western, caper, crime, all with a fair amount of humor, and he writes well. If you are familiar with the movies Bubba Hotep and Jonah Hex, that's Joe hisownself.
    Lou

Just starting Dave Barry's Insane City

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Agderposten articles
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Robin Hobb Tawny Man part 3 Fool's Fate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Children of Willesden Lane.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuyjac View Post
    Robin Hobb Tawny Man part 3 Fool's Fate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I'm just finishing up the original Farseer Trilogy and I have the Tawny Man trilogy queued up to dive into right after. This is one of the best high fantasy series I have ever read...and I've read a few!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    interesting....apparently one of the ad banners on the digital version is one that detects where you have visited and runs an ad graphic from that site. So, here's all this Norwegian language ads and news...with an American Cheap Joe's Art Stuff ad in the middle of it....
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"