Page 25 of 178 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728293575125 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Just finished "Back To The Garden" by Pete Fornitale, great in depth view tracing the 3 days of the Woodstock Music and Arts Fair.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Just finished reading Mark Helprin's "Winter's Tale". 800 pages, with a lot of love for the city New York. I'll check out some of his other works.
    Anyone seen the movie made of this book? Seems like a story that can't be told in a 2 hour film to me: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1837709/?ref_=rvi_tt

Quote Originally Posted by KIPMEISTER View Post
    Just finished "Back To The Garden" by Pete Fornitale, great in depth view tracing the 3 days of the Woodstock Music and Arts Fair.
    Good book. Borrowed it from the local library. I'd not been to Woodstock, I was only 15 at the time, but from books like these and stories I've heard from participants like the Geezer, I wish I'd been there. I read everything I can find about it.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Jerry Lee Lewis: His Own Story by Rick Bragg
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

There Goes Gravity (A Life In Rock n' Roll) by Lisa Robinson
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Jerry Lee Lewis: His Own Story by Rick Bragg
    I have been thinking about getting this one. How is it?

Actually I'm reading this thread. Before that I've been reading Miriam Small's book, "Good Questions" on how to create open-ended, math rich tasks for elementary students that promote thinking and application of knowledge. In five months I'll be able to stop such reading and focus on reading my dog's face.

all about how to make money online. blogs, product reviews, case studies, affiliations, drawing people to your site, etc.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Steve,

Jerry Lee Lewis is good so far. Just started.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I just recently finished Clive Davis’s book. It was a pretty interesting look at the music industry from a major player perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I just recently finished Clive Davis’s book. It was a pretty interesting look at the music industry from a major player perspective.
    I got Clive D's book as a Christmas gift in 2013! Still haven't read it. You have inspired me to make it my next book.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Just started reading "Gone Girl" after seeing the movie on PPV last week.
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

I have this one a few months already, but wanted to add it here: "The Art Of Big O", with a foreword by Roger Dean.

Although the Indiegogo-campaign wasn't succesful, the book was released and all the extra's were sent to the pledgers.

I started reading "The Forever War" by Joe Haldeman. This book is clearly of it's time (early 70s) but still a fun read. It's a "futuristic" story set in the far away year 1997! It's an account, told in the first person, of a man who is drafted into a space militia who must fight an enemy light years away. They travel at relativistic speeds through "collapsars" (like wormholes) to get to the battle zone so time spares the soldiers while the rest of society moves ahead. Each time our protagonist returns from a tour of duty he finds a society that is more and more alien to him, and where he does not fit in on any level...

Haldeman is a Vietnam war vet so you can see where he got his inspiration from.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Revisiting Asimov's Foundation series as rumors that it is being made into a show have sprung up. Boy, his writing is stiff. I guess it was pretty awesome when I was 13. Less awesome at 36. Still a good story, and it's got me turning the pages.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Asimov was an ideas guy but he had a nice economy of words. He was solid and got the story across. I prefer him to something like Ray Bradbury's flowery purple prose. Of course in his later years he became a nut job like AC Clarke, Heinlein and pretty much all the rest...

I won't quibble, and I haven't read any of those other guys in a similar amount of years, so I won't comment on their styles (though I'll agree that flowers have no place in literature--literature is no pink tea, and mollycoddles had better stay out). But I don't mind comparing Asimov to sci-fi I have read recently, and Phillip K. Dick writes sentences that sound like people might actually speak them. Asimov reads like a textbook or a syllogism. Still, like I said, it's a page turner, and that's good enough for me right now.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Just finished Daniel Abraham's The Widow's House, book four in a five book epic fantasy series. Just excellent but it's significantly different from the usual fantasy. I mean, have you ever seen a series where the intricacies of medieval banking figure into the plot? Or where we get the point of view of the "dark lord"? Abraham makes the poor bastard so complex, all too human, and almost sympathetic at times. If you like your fantasy dark and your old tropes twisted, this is a great series to dive into.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I have also read all 4 books in that Abraham series. I do enjoy it, but the Michael J. Sullivan series I spoke of a few pages back is a better read, imo. It starts a little light but really takes off in the 2nd and 3rd tomes (books 4 to 6 incl). You may want to check it out Jerjo.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I read for pure escapism. I've been on a fantasy kick of late. The latest series to grab me is Michael J. Sullivan's " The Riyria Revelations". I just devoured 80% of book one in a matter of days! The best part is, the entire series is already finished so no waiting for years in between books!
    It's on my iPad but the problem is, as always, too many books not enough time. Maybe if I cut down my time on PE....
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I was in the library a few days ago and found in the new books section The Boy Who Killed Demons. The title alone intrigued me, and when I saw the author, Dave Zeltserman, is a mystery author from Newton, Mass. (a couple towns away), I figured I'd give it a try. I'm about half way through. It's about a 15-year-old kid who sees demons, kind of like in that Roddy Piper movie They Live, except the kid doesn't need special glasses to see the demon. The writing is in the form of a journal the kid writes about his tracking down the demons. There's a lot of local references in the book, so I can picture the scenes well. Not too bad, and once in a while the kid gets a BJ from his girlfriend, which keeps the story lively.
    Last edited by Lopez; 02-07-2015 at 03:08 PM.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I got Clive D's book as a Christmas gift in 2013! Still haven't read it. You have inspired me to make it my next book.
    I found it interesting to get the take from an actual music mogul. I don’t agree with all of his views, especially his opinions on marketing and re-inventing established artists, but he has certainly been successful with it. I will be interested to hear what you think of it.

I'm about 1/3rd of the way through East of Eden by John Steinbeck and it's riveting! It's as dark and violent as any Stephen King book I've read, but without any supernatural entities. He had a nice subtle sense of humor too and I'm down with much of his observations and philosophy. Really great so far; can't believe it took me this long to select this one.

Just finished reading "The Thrill Of It All" by Joseph O'Connor. No, this is not another book about Roxy Music, although the main-character, Robbie Goulding, loves this track a lot. Fine story about the rise and fall of a rock-band in the '80s.

The Violinist's Thumb: and Other Lost Tales of Love, War, and Genius, as Written by Our Genetic Code
    By Sam Kean

Wittily written book on genetics.

DtB