Page 24 of 177 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627283474124 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk View Post
    ....My favourites are Mira Grant/Seanan McGuire...
    Speaking of which, just finished Indexing (fantastically enjoyable), started Sparrow Hill Road.
    rcarlberg: Is there anything sadder than a song that has never been played?
    Plasmatopia: Maybe a song in D minor that has never been played?

bob_32_116: That would be a terrific triple bill: Cyan, Magenta and Yello.

trurl: The Odyssey: "He's trying to get home."

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    "Beautiful You" - Chuck Palahniuk
    "I Must Say: My Life as a Humble Comedy Legend" - Martin Short
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Currently reading "The Finish" by Mark Bowden about the hunt for Osama Bin Laden.

Kerouac's Visions of Gerard and The Minus Times Collected.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Autobiography on Grace Slick, so far so good. If you're into music oriented books, this guy has some pretty good reviews of some: http://rnrchemist.blogspot.com/

I've been reading Bruce Cockburn's "Rumours Of Glory". I'm only 5 chapters in but so far it's pretty good. He kept some good company in his psyche days, with his bands opening for the likes of Lovin 'Spoonful and Jimi Hendrix. I'm finding there's a lot about his personality that matches mine. Maybe that's why his songs resonate with me.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Autobiography on Grace Slick, so far so good. If you're into music oriented books, this guy has some pretty good reviews of some: http://rnrchemist.blogspot.com/
    Have you ever read the autobiography that she wrote entitled “Somebody To Love”? It is a great read if you were ever into Airplane / Starship or the rock scene in the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s.

I started reading Mick Fleetwood’s new autobiography “Then Play On” yesterday and am almost half way through it already. The Fleetwood Mac story is so full of twists and turns, right from the beginning that it is constantly entertaining.

Have you ever read the autobiography that she wrote entitled “Somebody To Love”?

Yep, that's the title of it.

Got a box of popular science books from my brother last week. Currently reading The Secret Life Of Dust (not groundbreaking, but fun) and the Penguin Dictionary of Curious and Interesting Numbers. Great for the bathroom!

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Have you ever read the autobiography that she wrote entitled “Somebody To Love”?
    The ad copy writes itself.

"Don't YOU want Somebody To Love?? Out now in paperback!!"

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    "Beautiful You" - Chuck Palahniuk
    "I Must Say: My Life as a Humble Comedy Legend" - Martin Short
    Wasn't aware of Martin Shorts book. Checked it out on Amazon and ended up ordering the audio book after hearing a sample. Short reads the book, what I heard was very good, Im looking forward to it. As far as reading ,Im into Perfidia by James Ellroy,its a prequel to the trio that included LA Confidential with some of the same charactors. So far so good.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    So, Anyway... by John Cleese

in addition to the two books mentioned above.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Wasn't aware of Martin Shorts book. Checked it out on Amazon and ended up ordering the audio book after hearing a sample. Short reads the book, what I heard was very good, Im looking forward to it. As far as reading ,Im into Perfidia by James Ellroy,its a prequel to the trio that included LA Confidential with some of the same charactors. So far so good.
    I also just read Short's book and found it enjoyable. I was not aware of all the struggles with his wife's illness and eventual death.

Silk Parachute by John McPhee.I've read most of McPhee's books, and this is one of his more recent works.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

"Tibetan Peach Pie" by Tom Robbins. An autobiography, but with his unique way with words and philosophical musings, it reads like one of his novels. If you dig his writing, it's a no-brainer.

Just finished "Eminent Hipsters" by Donald Fagen. Hard to believe a "rock star" could be so goddamn unhappy.
    Also, "American Rust" by Philipp Meyer. Excellent story of the meaning friendship and loyalty.
    Nearly done with "God's Pocket" by Pete Dexter, which I just found out was made into a film starring Phillip Seymour Hoffman. The book's very good, which means I probably won't like the film, even with PSH.

I recently started Peter F. Hamilton's latest foray into his "Confederation" world with a book entitled "The Abyss Beyond Dreams".

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    Just finished "Eminent Hipsters" by Donald Fagen. Hard to believe a "rock star" could be so goddamn unhappy.
    Why, it happens all of the time. Of course, Fagen is more of a complaining curmudgeon than a suicidal Cobain type. What keeps it tolerable (for me at least) is his sense of humor. What I found weird about "Eminent Hipsters" is that it seems like the first half was an interesting but unfinished book, then the rest of it is basically a whiney blog/journal about his tour with Boz Scags and Michael McDonald. The unfinished book part was good; the blog should've just been posted on Twitter or something. I don't know; that was my impression anyway.

Dividing time right now between Sharon Lawrence's Jimi Hendrix: The Intimate Story of a Betrayed Musical Legend and Richard Bachman's The Long Walk.
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Just arrived in the mail today....Chris Wright (Chryslis Records) One Way Or Another.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by -=RTFR666=- View Post
    Richard Bachman's The Long Walk.
    I've never been a big Stephen King fan, but that was one of my favorite novellas by him.

Need to refresh your Comp 101 basic grammar skills?

Like jokes about dicks, joints and fucking?

Then this is the book for you:
    style.jpg

Here's a review:
    http://stronglang.wordpress.com/2014...g-book-review/

For all you who remember Strunk and White (and, yes, I'm one of those English teachers who teach it every year), this is quite enjoyable.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

My daughter bought me The Encyclopedia of Beer. Long story going back 15 years ago when she was in Grade 2.....

Just finished reading Mark Helprin's "Winter's Tale". 800 pages, with a lot of love for the city New York. I'll check out some of his other works.