Page 21 of 177 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171121 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Just saw this in a bookstore, and thought it looked interesting. How did you like it, Alan?
    Did you like Hiassen, Ernie?

I think It is one of King's best.
    Yeah, I enjoyed the three Hiassen books that I read, Scott. The one I read most recently, "Skinny Dip" was my favorite. I'm sure I'll get around to more of his work, but I decided to take a break from him for now. He writes some of the most humorous crime stories I've ever read... but he has permanently tainted my view of South Florida.

I'm 80% of the way through "It." I think it's longer than it needed to be, but it is rather good. The thing I like best about King is his capacity for creating three dimensional characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Lately, I've read Stephen King's Doctor Sleep and 11/22/63. Loved 11/22/63 as my favorite sci-fi genre is time travel.
    I found "Doctor Sleep" to be a bit disappointing, especially as a sequel to one of his greatest books, "The Shining," but I did like "11/22/63" a lot.

Another good time travel novel is "The Time Traveler's Wife" by Audrey Niffenegger. I saw the movie after reading it and felt that it didn't work, but the book is well worthwhile.

I haven't read Hiassen in years having binged on his first seven or eight. It amuses me to no end that he says as crazy as his books get, there's stuff about south FL that's even crazier.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    A Movable Feast - Hemingway

I know there are at least a few on here who have read Vince Flynn.

Here's a question:

I've read his first book, Term Limits. So, where do I go next? Do I read the next book, Transfer of Power, or do I read the first book in the Mitch Rapp chronology, American Assassin?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    A Movable Feast - Hemingway
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Finishing up the second book of "The Gentleman Bastards" series by Scott Lynch. This is one of those fantasy series that is destined to become a classic.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Still have an itch to read about geology,especially the geology of tectonically active areas,like the Western part of USA.

Ever since reading John McPhee's books about geology,particularly "Assembling California",this part of our world fascinates me in regard to it's geologic origins.

"Rough-Hewn Land-A Geologic Journey From California To The Rocky Mountains", by Keith Heyer Meldahl.
    Last edited by walt; 08-18-2014 at 05:42 PM.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Just finished reading Neil Young's book which wasn't bad but not great either. I'm also almost done a book called "Fordlandia" which, in great detail tells the tale of auto-pioneer Henry Ford and his failed attempt to create a working rubber-producing factory/city in the ....wait for it.... Amazon Jungle(!!!) in the late 20's. Really good read which also gets into Ford's character, personality and idealism. Read both of these up at a cottage last week and also did a bit more prep work on the book I'm working on writing.

Taking a small break from Keith Richards 'Life' to read interviews with James Ellroy and Dave Wyndorf

Future Days-Krautrock And The Building Of Modern Germany-David Stubbs
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Caesar's Messiah - Anybody read it, what do you think of the premise?

Anybody ever read "War of the Jews"? by Josephus?

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Just finished Robogenesis, which was great. Not sure what I'll start next.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Anybody else reading the Colin Harper book on John McLaughlin? I just picked it up yesterday, and so far it's a great read!
    It covers the 60s rock/blues/jazz scene in London, not just McLaughlin.

I just finished a book by Dean Koontz called "Watchers;" I really liked it!

The only stuff I've read by Koontz previously was his "Frankenstein" series. Funny thing, that. Books 1 and 2 were really strong, then book 3 pretty much sucked imo. That one was supposed to end the trilogy, but then he went on and wrote two more, very possibly because his fans were so disappointed with how it ended in book 3. I thought it was a fruitless waste; he should've just let it go, as he didn't come close to redeeming that story by continuing it. But on the strength of the first two books, I wanted to try something else by him... and I'm glad I did.

If you're a dog lover, you'll probably like it; one of the main characters is a genetically modified dog (no, it's name wasn't "Evelyn," Zappa fans) who has been made to be extremely intelligent. The dog's nemesis is a creature created at and (like the dog) escaped from the same scientific research lab, but this one is a one of a kind species designed for warfare; an intelligent but ruthlessly aggressive killing machine. Other characters are a psychologically damaged but good hearted man and woman who are brought together by the dog, an insane hitman who is pursuing the dog, a NSA agent who is also pursuing the dog and an an attorney and a veterinarian who both figure prominently in the plot. I give it four tail wags.

I've been wanting to read Koontz's "Odd Thomas" books, as I've heard good things about them.

Anyone?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

There Goes Gravity by Lisa Robinson
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Currently reading Carl Hiaasen's "Bad Monkey" ...
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

I just finished Magnificent Vibration by Rick Springfield. Yes, that Rick Springfield. It is a new novel, and I thought it was great. Anything I could tell you about it would spoil the story, but it is funny and entertaining, and keeps you turning the pages. Springfield's only other book is a memoir.
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I've been wanting to read Koontz's "Odd Thomas" books, as I've heard good things about them.

Anyone?
    I believe I have read all his Odd Thomas books. I also recently found that the first one had been made into a movie, so I watched that. Follows the book pretty closely, if I remember the book this long after I read it. Not a bad series of books, IMO. Start with the first one, and if in a later book you lose interest, just stop. Koontz writes 4 or 5 books a year. Some are better than others. Here's the movie on IMDB:

Odd Thomas

Thanks, Alan!

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Future Days-Krautrock And The Building Of Modern Germany-David Stubbs
    What did you make of it, Walt? - John Harris gave it a lukewarm review in the Guardian, here in the UK - my first kneejerk response was to dismis his review. However, having started reading, I have come round to the opinion that he was pretty much spot on in his review. I've put it aside, rather sadly, after 40 or 50 pages - he is *such* a bad writer, & it is so badly edited...

Only two things I will read over the next 8 months:

a) Intentional Interruption by Steven Katz and Lisa Ain Dank: A book for leaders on how to implement professional change in their business and staff.

b) The number on my fridge that counts down how many more weeks I have before I retire.
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

The Last Full Measure-Jeff Shaara