Thread: What are you currently reading?

Just finished reading Iron Man by Tony Iommi. Quick and interesting for over 360 pages. Yet, he doesn't go into much detail for many of the events about which he talks. If you want in-depth information into a musician's life Who I Am by Peter Townsend is a good choice.
    Lou

Awarded the Krusty Brand Seal of Approval. It's not just good, it's good enough.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Insane City by Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Alan, thanks to you and Scott for turning me on to him! I'm almost finished with my third Hiaasen book now, "Skinny Dip." The previous ones I read are "Native Tongue" and "Double Whammy." He's a character; the funniest conservationist I've ever known of! BTW, I'm assuming "Skink" is a recurring character in most if not all of his novels. He only makes a cameo appearance in Skinny Dip, but he was quite prevalent in the other two. Anyway, I'm now a fan.
    I've only read a few, and off the top of my head don't remember the titles, but he's a great beach/poolside read.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Just finished "Dancing Dogs" by Jon Katz (ironic, no?) A collection of short stories, all centered around our canine companions. If you're a dog lover like me, you'd like this one.

Just started "Furious Cool: Richard Pryor and the World That Made Him" by David & Joe Henry. Never a huge fan, but his influence on today's stand-ups cannot be underestimated. The Lenny Bruce of his generation.
    No matter how corrupt, greedy, and heartless our government, our corporations, our media, and our religious and charitable institutions may become, the music will still be wonderful. - Kurt Vonnegut

Just finished "Dancing Dogs" by Jon Katz (ironic, no?) A collection of short stories, all centered around our canine companions. If you're a dog lover like me, you'd like this one.

Just started "Furious Cool: Richard Pryor and the World That Made Him" by David & Joe Henry. Never a huge fan, but his influence on today's stand-ups cannot be underestimated. The Lenny Bruce of his generation.
    No matter how corrupt, greedy, and heartless our government, our corporations, our media, and our religious and charitable institutions may become, the music will still be wonderful. - Kurt Vonnegut

Joni Mitchell--Both Sides Now bio.

I am reading a quite interesting (and very optimistic too) book about Australia....
    Yep, the title of this book is The Sweet Spot,
    Written by Peter Hartcher, it is a quite unspected view of this land so far away.

A steampunkish fantasy called Retribution Falls. Very fast paced so far, liking it.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

In Patagonia by Bruce Chatwin.In the tradition of great British travel writers.Chatwin evokes the place and the journey so well, so colorfully.A wonderful read.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Robogenesis by Daniel H. Wilson (author of Robopocalypse and Amped)-war between humans and robots.
    The Last Kind Words Saloon by Larry McMurtry-a western featuring Wyatt Earp, Doc Holliday, Buffalo Bill Cody, and Charlie Goodnight.

Recently finished Fool by Christopher Moore-a comedic take on the tragedy of Shakespeare's King Lear, as told by Lear's jester.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    I'm smack-dab in the middle of Haruki Murakami's 1Q84. It has a curious premise that will clearly take to whole novel to suss out, in a PKD or Vonnegut kind of way. I find it a bit sexed-up honestly, but I guess the author knows what sells. Really, the enigma at the center is enough to keep the whole plot moving. So the writing (in this translation at least) is strong.

While doing the dishes and such, I'm listening to H. Rider Haggard's King Solomon's Mines. It is a classic Victorian Era adventure. So taken with some large doses of salt, it can be fun. Victorian racism and sexism, bound up with prosaic morality and militarism (Ah Empire, you really haven't changed over the years!) are shot through the story in the same way that the ocean is shot through with wet. Still, it's one of the original lost world novels, and worth it if you are doing a genre study. I listened through another Haggard book, She: A History of Adventure, while being equally problematic, is better crafted, and a much more satisfying read.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

I've read very mixed things about Murakami, but I suppose I should read it myself to find out what's what.

Now reading: Malcolm Lowry, Under the Volcano
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Back to Stephen King again after three Carl Hiassen books and a too short biography on Charlie Parker by a guy named Giddens. I'm halfway through King's "It." Never read it or saw the TV mini series. Pretty intense!

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    I've read very mixed things about Murakami, but I suppose I should read it myself to find out what's what.
    This is my second of his. I've also read Hard-boiled Wonderland and The End of the World , which was pretty cool but no less strange. In the original Japanese they were bound as separate volumes, but sold together as a single work. In the edition I read, the chapters of each book were interlaced in one volume. I'd recommend it as a primer. It got me into reading more of him at any rate.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Eating Animals
    .Jonathan Foer

just finished King's "Mr Mercedes" this week, John Sandford's latest Prey book last week.
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    Haggard book, She: A History of Adventure
    That's from where I got the expression "she who must be obeyed" for the wife.

Lately, I've read Stephen King's Doctor Sleep and 11/22/63. Loved 11/22/63 as my favorite sci-fi genre is time travel. I've tried getting into Under the Dome, but after a couple hundred pages and not a whole heck of a lot happening, I've postponed finishing it to another time.

Currently I'm reading a Bentley Little novella called The Circle. It's about some junior high kids who go to a shrine in a suspected witch's back yard and wish for a "hot girl." Naturally, they get what they wish for and a lot more. The kids even say as they are wishing, "What if it's a 'Monkey's Paw' type deal?"
    Lou

Awarded the Krusty Brand Seal of Approval. It's not just good, it's good enough.

Keith Richards: Life
    so far, pretty interesting.

I recently watched the excellent HBO mini-series based on David McCullough's book on John Adams. I was thinking of getting the book though I've never read anything by this man. I know he's won 2 Pulitzers including one for "Jack Adams". Has anyone both read the book and seen the mini-series and can tell me if the book is worth it? I usually ask this question in reverse...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

It is a great King book. Been years since I read it though. I've got a stack of books that I'm trying to get around to. At the moment, I'm reading the first volume of A History of the English-Speaking Peoples by Winston Churchill & Lewis of Warner Hall: The History of a Family by Merrow Egerton Sorley. Next up is I'd Rather be the Devil: Skip James & The Blues by Stephan Calt and after that, From Manassas to Appomattox by Gen. James Longstreet.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

I decided to return to SF and picked up Peter F. Hamilton's "Great North Road". It seems to be moving at a faster pace than previous books. That's because it's a stand-alone book at only 1000 pages! That's a novella for him!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Tina Fey - Bossypants
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Robogenesis by Daniel H. Wilson (author of Robopocalypse and Amped)-war between humans and robots.
    Just saw this in a bookstore, and thought it looked interesting. How did you like it, Alan?

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Back to Stephen King again after three Carl Hiassen books and a too short biography on Charlie Parker by a guy named Giddens. I'm halfway through King's "It." Never read it or saw the TV mini series. Pretty intense!
    Did you like Hiassen, Ernie?

I think It is one of King's best.

Quote Originally Posted by -=RTFR666=- View Post
    just finished King's "Mr Mercedes" this week, John Sandford's latest Prey book last week.
    How was Mr. Mercedes? I've had it in my hands a couple times now, but haven't pulled the trigger. Seems almost like King writing a mystery-ish kind of story.

I've been on a Sandford kick, too. Just finished the last two Prey books, and now I'm reading Storm Front, featuring Virgil Flowers.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Scott-

Robogenesis so far so good. Read Wilson's other robot wars books first, if you haven't already. Interrupted my Robogenesis reading to read Please Be With Me: A Song For My Father, Duane Allman by Galadrielle Allman. I have now read every book on the Allman Brothers Band that I know about. I read some more of Robogenesis last night. Fast-paced and weird, just as it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    How was Mr. Mercedes? I've had it in my hands a couple times now, but haven't pulled the trigger. Seems almost like King writing a mystery-ish kind of story.
    I think it was more in the noir style of Joyland then, say, Dr. Sleep...it was an ohkay procedural, I suppose, but not horror per se...the whole plot line was very reminiscent of the SenSurround film, Rollercoaster, with George Segal pursuing mad bomber Timothy Bottoms...
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-