Page 17 of 176 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767117 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Just finished Who I Am by Pete Townshend & just started Waging Heavy Peace by Neil Young.
    How was the Townshend book?

I'm half way through One Deadly Night, by John Glatt. The Death of James Dean, by Warren Beath just arrived in the mail, so that's probably next.

The Townshend book was terrific imo, and Pete lets a shitload of skeletons out of the closet and tells the whole story of how he came to be falsely accused of pedophilia. Some of the stories about Moonie are laugh out loud funny.

Now I'm reading PE member Lambsie's prog book "Citizens Of Hope & Glory", which is a fun read.

Next up after that is Donald Fagen's "Eminent Hipsters".
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I'm about a third of the way through "Leviathan Wakes", book 1 of the "Expanse" series by James S.A.Corey (pen name of a pair of authors). It's a pretty solid space oprera set in a not too distant future. Apparently there's talk of turning it into a TV series. I'm really enjoying it so far. I'll be reading book 2 immediately after this one!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Just wrapped up the Douglas Preston / Lincoln Child cheesefest "Gideon's Sword" and have started reading Walter Isaacson's bio of Steve Jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Stephen King - Doctor Sleep: that's what I'm currently reading. It's his latest, a sequel to "The Shining."
    Prepare yourself for a painfully weak climax ala the Dark Tower series...

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    How was the Townshend book?
    I would've liked more background on the creative process for some of the Who albums and less about his O/C girlfriend issues...
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Next up after that is Donald Fagen's "Eminent Hipsters".
    I enjoyed it! He's one cynical, kvetching kind of guy, but his sense of humor keeps it fun.

Quote Originally Posted by -=RTFR666=- View Post
    Prepare yourself for a painfully weak climax ala the Dark Tower series...
    Though I've read a lot of Stephen King, I've never read any of The Dark Tower Series. But yeah, "Doctor Sleep" was one of his weaker novels and definitely disappointing as a sequel to "The Shining," one of his best.

Well, after many long years of reading absence, I've taken it up again. Had to find myself something to do between the cracks of slow winter work. Got me a kindle for Christmas. Absolutely love this thing though I'm sure you snot-nosed, purists frown upon it Anyway, it's definitely taking some time to relearn the whole process believe it or not. I find myself constantly having to reread pages and stuff. The attention span needs work, but it's getting there.

So right now I'm reading Dean Koontz 'Innocence' and am loving it. I read a few of his books years ago and became a big fan so figured I'd start here.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Well, after many long years of reading absence, I've taken it up again. Had to find myself something to do between the cracks of slow winter work. Got me a kindle for Christmas. Absolutely love this thing though I'm sure you snot-nosed, purists frown upon it Anyway, it's definitely taking some time to relearn the whole process believe it or not. I find myself constantly having to reread pages and stuff. The attention span needs work, but it's getting there.

So right now I'm reading Dean Koontz 'Innocence' and am loving it. I read a few of his books years ago and became a big fan so figured I'd start here.
    I don't frown upon the Kindle (I'm not a "purist" of anything, though I may be snot nosed); got one for my birthday last October and I love it! I'm a frequent flyer and since I can't sleep on airplanes, I read a lot. I was carrying around some 1,000+ page books with me and thankfully, my Kindle put an end to that.

Dean Koontz: The only thing I read by him was his Frankenstein series. I loved the first two books, but hated the rest. I've always been curious about his other work, based on those first two... and wondered if he just lost respect for his own story with the 3 books that followed.

I use my iPad as an e-reader. I like it better than the traditional e-reader I had a few years back. I can adjust the light, jump ahead and back easily, etc... I already carry it with me on my commute for other purposes anyway, so wtf. The only issue with it (and it's a minor one) is that it has a glass on it that can reflect the light when held on the wrong angle. I buy all my books through their store which is very convenient. I love the 'sample' feature where I can download a chapter or two for free to see if I'll get into it or not.

I tend to read huge bricks so carrying the iPod makes more sense than dragging along a huge book.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Not to re-direct the thread, but have also become a big Kindle fan. I'm one of those old farts who never thought I'd enjoy reading without having the book in my hands, but the benefits make up for it. One of the things I like about it is that I can borrow books from the local library without having to actually go there. Admittedly, the selection of e-books is miniscule compared to the physical collection, but it's increasing steadily. Also, Amazon offers a Lending Library where Kindle owners who are Prime members can borrow books as well.

One recently borrowed book from the Kindle Lending Library is "600 Hours Of Edward", a novel about a man with Asperger's Syndrome and OCD. It's quirky and funny and touching. Not something I would have thought I'd like, but it was a quick, very enjoyable read.

Prepare yourself for a painfully weak climax ala just about everything else he's done.
    King might be one of the most disappointing story-enders around.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post

Though I've read a lot of Stephen King, I've never read any of The Dark Tower Series. But yeah, "Doctor Sleep" was one of his weaker novels and definitely disappointing as a sequel to "The Shining," one of his best.
    Hm...this is one of the only bad "reviews" I've heard of this. Most I've read have said it's pretty good and quite scary.

And, FWIW, I LOVE the Kindle app on my tablet.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Hm...this is one of the only bad "reviews" I've heard of this. Most I've read have said it's pretty good and quite scary.
    Make no mistake, for me as a SK Constant Reader, there was plenty of good buildup until the final conflict with Rose - and her defeat was, to me, completely anti-climactic and [spoiler] the appearance of the ghost Jack Torrence at the conclusion [/spoiler] was beyond cliché, considering the appearance of Tony at Danny Torrence's graduation at the conclusion of the TV adaptation of The Shining (w/Steven Weber and Rebecca DeMornay) - considering the lame payoff of Under the Dome, these back-to-back epics ending on a wheeze instead of with a bang just [affecting Jack Nicholson sneering tone] ticked me off, maaaaaan.

YMMV, natch. OTOH - I thoroughly enjoyed reading Joyland.

While I'm thinking of it - Anyone out there read Joe Hill's work? Heart-Shaped Box, Horns (another with a SK limp ending, IMO), NOS4RT2, or 20th Century Ghosts? A particular favorite (or least) amongst these? What say you?
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

OTOH - I thoroughly enjoyed reading Joyland.
    Ditto! It even had a satisfying ending.

I have to check that one out yet. Sounds really cool.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

The Townshend book was terrific imo, and Pete lets a shitload of skeletons out of the closet and tells the whole story of how he came to be falsely accused of pedophilia. Some of the stories about Moonie are laugh out loud funny.
    I'm not really a Who fan but Pete I find interesting. I dig some Who songs. I only bought 'It's Hard' on cassette for 'Emminence Front'. I bought and fell in love with 'Scoop' back in the day. I don't know if I want to know more about Keith Moon. He seems to have been eccentric and uncontrollably driven, similar to Jim Morrison, and I've been a Doors/JM student for a long time.

I‘m reading the book which is based on the game Final Fantasy. It's worth reading.

I just finished reading the 8th book (this one about the kidnapping of Frankie, Jr.) in the Rat Pack Mystery series by Robert Randisi. The 9th doesn't come out until February 4th, so to kill time till then I found another mystery series called the Valentino mysteries by Loren Estleman. There are three novels and a series of short stories out so far, and they are about film buff and detective, Valentino, who works for the UCLA film restoration program. Just started the first one last night, and so far there's some interesting info about the birth of Hollywood in there.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

I got my father the first book in that series for Christmas, Lopez, based on your earlier recommendation. The great thing about giving books as gifts is that we can read them when the recipient is finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I got my father the first book in that series for Christmas, Lopez, based on your earlier recommendation. The great thing about giving books as gifts is that we can read them when the recipient is finished.
    I hope he and you enjoy it. I've had a lot of fun reading the series.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Such a cool idea.

Turned my daughter onto "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss just last week. She finished it in 2 days and was onto "The Wise Man's Fear" and killed that in the remaining 3 days of the week. She's bummed that there isn't a 3rd book available yet to close the Kingkiller series.

I feel her pain - great series.

I'm reading the new Nelson DeMille "The Quest". It's about 3 journalists in Ethiopia searching for the grail. Somewhat interesting for the historical references (if they are true, and his stuff usually is). The read is easy but the character development leaves a bit to be desired.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Just finished Who I Am by Pete Townshend & just started Waging Heavy Peace by Neil Young.
    I have read and enjoyed both of these. Pete’s book was really good and got into a lot of stuff, although there are some things that he kind of skims over,(the making of “Endless Wire” for example). Neil’s book was also enjoyable, although it kind bounces all over the place. As a straight biography I thought Jimmy McDonnah book “Shakey” was overall more informative.

Steve Sly

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Just finished Plugged and Screwed, both by Eoin Colfer. Two books with same characters written in the order listed. Funny with lots of action.

Now reading Donald Fagen's book, Eminent Hipsters.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Just starting "Humans Need Three Hands" by Drats

http://www.amazon.com/Humans-Need-Th...ed+three+hands
    Never play slap bass around bears, you'll make them VERY angry.

Mostly just reading comics from Comixology on my Kindle...and some sci-fi. Read Donna Tartt's The Goldfinch recently...not bad...
    For that which is not,
    there is no coming into being
    and for that which is,
    there is no ceasing to be;
    yea of both of these the lookers into truth have seen an end.
    Bhagavad Gita

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I gotta say that McCormac's "The Road" is really sucking me in. I like his style! What would be the next logical choice from him? I'll want to explore more, after I read the final installment in Donaldson's "Chronicles Of Thomas Covenant", which will be available for download on Oct 15.
    Oh man. The Road? Yes.

Thomas Covenant? No. As much as I like fantasy, some of it is really dopey, and this series is severely dopey. I'd recommend Earthsea instead, or maybe the Gormenghast novels.
    For that which is not,
    there is no coming into being
    and for that which is,
    there is no ceasing to be;
    yea of both of these the lookers into truth have seen an end.
    Bhagavad Gita