Page 13 of 177 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you currently reading?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Neil Gaiman - Sandman
    Richard K Morgan - The Cold Commands
    Iain M Banks - Use Of Weapons

have Terry Pratchett - Snuff waiting in the wings for when I finish one of those.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Just finished Tom Drury's Pacific. Really enjoyed it , first TD I've read. Unique style ,after the 3rd chapter I was totally hooked. Found it through a positive NY Times review.

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Caught in the Crossfire. So far, it's fascinating; meaning, to me, he was a really interesting cat.

daughter just gave me Stephen King's JOYLAND: A HARD CRIME NOVEL for my birthday. Next in line after I finish Joe Hill's 20th CENTURY GHOSTS
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

I'm currently reading " Frustration:My Life as a Flyers Fan" by S. Bails....

Okay, just kidding buddy! I don't read a lot. The last one was the Keith Richards autobiography but I just got a couple of books from the kids, the Pete Townshend autobiography and the Bruce Springsteen biography. Not sure which to read first but probably the Townshend. Go Flyers!!

Quote Originally Posted by Birdy View Post
    I'm currently reading " Frustration:My Life as a Flyers Fan" by S. Bails....
    Go Flyers!!
    Hey! I haven't finished that yet! Did you get an advance copy?!!!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Hey! I haven't finished that yet! Did you get an advance copy?!!!
    HA! It's the book that never ends eh? King of like being a Hab fan these days too

Quote Originally Posted by -=RTFR666=- View Post
    daughter just gave me Stephen King's JOYLAND
    I finished it last week (what can I say; I'm a fan even if I'm willing to acknowledge his flaws). Not his best, but I liked it. It's not as violent and action packed as most of his books, but it's a nice "coming of age" story with some pretty likeable characters and there is a fairly dramatic climax. And for a change, I found the ending to be reasonably satisfying.

I just picked upi the count of Monte Christo for 99 cents for my Nook - I love revenge stories, so this will go on my short list

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Finished Inferno and started The Long War by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter. A sequel to The Long Earth by the same two authors.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

How did you like Inferno, Alan?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I liked Inferno. Dan Brown can write a page-turner. It was interesting to have the subject matter of his new book veer away from the Church and venture into a new area. I'm not going to say anything about the plot. Just that the book was better than I expected it to be. Reading it start to finish with no preconceptions is best.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

"Doc" a memoir by Dwight Gooden about his drug and alcohol addictions. Difficult to believe that in 1986 he was up all night doing coke in Nassau County and missed the Mets World Series ticker tape parade in Manhattan. And that was only the beginning of his long list of failures.

Quote Originally Posted by Gladiator1634 View Post
    Difficult to believe that in 1986 he was up all night doing coke in Nassau County and missed the Mets World Series ticker tape parade in Manhattan.
    Absolutely pathetic.

Malcolm X: A Life of Reinvention by Manning Marable.

Huck Finn. Summer reading (along with Kate Chopin's The Awakening) for my students, so I guess I better get on it. I haven't read any Twain in prolly ten years. It's good to be back in those sentences.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Absolutely pathetic.
    I know, right?

Can you believe there was a time when the rest of the Majors were so bad that the Mets were actually winners?
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Just finished rereading the entire (so far) Game of Thrones series. There is much to be picked out of it on a second pass!

Now reading Eisenhower in War and Peace by Jean Edward Smith. I'm half-way through, which is just before the end of WWII. He was very much a political general, with very little knowledge or experience in combat. After brilliantly facilitating the Normandy invasion and liberation of France, he took direct command of combat operations, stalled the Allied advance, causing the war to last as much as six months longer than it might have had Montgomery or Patton stayed unleashed.

Valar morghulis. Valar dohaeris.
    I think the subtext is rapidly becoming text.

Just finished "Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption" by Laura Hillenbrand, the true story of Olympic miler Louis Zamperini who was shot down in the Pacific during WWII, spent over a month adrift in a raft with two other airmen, then was captured and spent almost two years in Japanese POW camps. Absolutely gripping read, whether or not you're a history or WWII buff. Man's capability for cruelty to his fellow man writ large, but also a remarkably inspiring story of irrepressible spirit. One of the best books I've read this year. Apparently, also being filmed for release next year, with Angelina Jolie (!) directing.

Agree: Unbroken was pretty riveting reading, glad it might be made into a film.

The Hungering Trilogy by Heath Pfaff prior was the Innkeeper's Son by Jeremy Brooks.
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Terry Pratchett Snuff
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

The Billionaire and the Mechanic:

How Larry Ellison and a Car Mechanic Teamed Up to Win Sailing's Greatest Race, The America's Cup

Given that the 'Cup is basically underway right now...
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    [...The America's Cup...
    Thread:

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...-America-s-Cup
    Regards,

Duncan

On The Road - Kerouac

Finally getting around to it after seeing The Magic Trip documentary, which had Neal Cassidy driving the bus.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone