Thread: What are you currently reading?

Back to Virginia Woolf, with Flush: A Biography -- being a biography of Elizabeth Barrett Browning's beloved spaniel.
    Yemen hardly ever exports cookies.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Just started "Unrequited Infatuations, A Memoir" from Steve Van Zant from the E Street Band / Sopranos fame. Pretty interesting so far. The guy obviously has an ego and places himself at the center of much of Bruce's (and other people's) success, but he has done a lot in his career. At one point he talks about rock n roll in general and admits that he does not understand prog rock and that world is pretty much alien to him other than a few very early bands like Procol Harum. On the other hand, in the 70's he discovered classical music which he loves. I read Springsteen's book a few years ago and it is interesting to compare some of the stories from different points of view. I have not gotten to the acting part of Van Zant's career yet.
    I enjoyed this book very much. I ignored the chapter on his political views and recommendations.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Currently reading Joe Lansdale's Of Mice and Minestrone. The early years of the Hap and Leonard friendship.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Louis L’Amour- Grub Line Rider
    I love westerns and watched a bunch when Covid hit. This is my first book of his.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    I enjoyed this book very much. I ignored the chapter on his political views and recommendations.
    Not sure that I have gotten to that chapter yet, although I did just finish a chapter where he was talking about politics in his music after he left the E-street band in the 80's. As you say, I am enjoying the book a lot, but man is Van Zant full of himself at times.

He does have a vast knowledge of basic rock n roll though especially the 50's & 60's. I occasionally listen to his Sirius XM channel and appreciate the fact that he tries to give a lot of new bands exposure.

Reading Ugly Beauty: Jazz in the 21st Century by Phil Freeman.
    He has the blog and podcasts known as Burning Ambulance.

Little snippets about various current names like James Brandon Lewis, Tomeka Reid, Nicole Mitchell, Wayne Escoffery,Linda May Han Oh...so far, nothing earthshaking but good fodder for investigating some new music.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

That Woolf was really short ... now a great big Stephen King (The Institute) for a serious change of pace...
    Yemen hardly ever exports cookies.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    That Woolf was really short ... now a great big Stephen King (The Institute) for a serious change of pace...
    I hardly ever read fiction anymore, but did read The Institute and really enjoyed it. It is classic King.