Page 12 of 176 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you currently reading?

I am just back from a 3 week vacation, which gave me the chance to read a lot more than average.

I read :

John Williams - Stoner. Wonderful, simple tale about a simple man in simple language but very beautiful and moving. Very easy to identify with the main character. Worth all the praise it gets.

Haruki Murakami – Kafka on the beach. Like many of his novels it is full of magic realism. Somehow I can take this from Murakami a lot better than from other writers. A very engaging 600 page read.

Paolo Giordano - The human body. If his name wasn’t on the cover I wouldn’t have guessed that this was the same writer as “the solitude of prime numbers’. Maybe not as intense as his debut but still another very good novel. Paolo is definitely a huge talent. Highly recommended!

Cheryl Strayed – Wild. This one is hyped a lot in the media but for me it didn’t live up to the hype. I am a fanatic hiker and I read it during a multiple day hike so this should have been the right setting. However, I didn’t think it was very credible. This is probably a typical womens book. Men should avoid.

Joost

Geology/plate tectonics still fascinates me.I just started:

Plate Tectonics-An Insider's History of the Modern Theory of the Earth, by Nancy Oreskes.This book piqued my interest because Oreskes lets several scientists/geologists who were involved in plate tectonics tell their story(in their own words) of how they came to be involved in science and particularly, in how they formed their opinions and theories regarding the plate tectonics revolution.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Cloud Atlas

Quote Originally Posted by WHORG View Post
    Cloud Atlas
    Just watched the film of this recently - astonishingly good. Made me think I might rather enjoy the book.

As to me, for research purposes I'm presently reading:

Robert O. Keohane - Neorealism and its Critics
    James M. Buchanan - Constitutional Economics
    Andrew Gamble - Politics and Fate

The Penguin Classics 'Don Quixote'. Sancho is a marvellous character, and don't believe anyone who tells you post-modern authorial and textual reflexivity is a 20th century or 'Tristram Shandy'-based phenomena. Cervantes did it first.

But the humour of the book is fairly cruel, which prevents me loving it the way some readers do.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Michael Crichton - Micro
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Read that last year, not bad, reads like a movie treatment rather than a book. Beach reading.
    Finished it. It WAS like a movie script (as was Jurassic Park), but I gotta say, it should be a hell of a good sci-fi/horror/thriller movie if they ever make it! The book was pretty riveting from start to finish! I actually learned some new things about insects and spiders from reading it too.

Crichton suffered from "Stephen King Disease" with regards to ending a book, but I always learned something from his novels.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Crichton suffered from "Stephen King Disease" with regards to ending a book, but I always learned something from his novels.
    Well in this case, he died before finishing the book; it was finished by some bloke named Richard Preston. The ending wasn't GREAT, but it wasn't bad either.

BTW, early on in the book, I thought, "Oh no; it's a serious version of "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids!" I almost gave up on it when I discovered it was based on that implausible premise, but I'm glad I didn't! And let's face it, it's highly unlikely that we'll ever be able to clone dinosaurs from their fossilized DNA, but that didn't stop Jurassic Park from being a fun book (and movie).
    Last edited by No Pride; 07-09-2013 at 04:07 PM.

The Cloud Atlas movie was very well done IMO - but the book reveals much more connectivity, and one of those "how the fuck did he write that" type of books. I believe it won some type of literary award when it was written - - -

My son (now 15) loves reading and books - and someday wants a full-fledged "library" in his own home some day. Much like a tiered Victorian styled affair with only hardcovers - he's well on his way with nearly 500 volumes of his favorites, along with my collection too. I am happy for him in this regard - and constantly add to his collection via yard sales, birthdays and Christmas gifts. He loves watching a movie where there's a "library room" shown in the film - he's keeping a journal of architectural ideas en route. His academic path will probably be architecture - and he's developed some really cool ideas about it all . . .

~JK

I'm almost done with Vincent Bugliosi's Helter Skelter for the second time. I first read it years ago when it was first published. More than 40 years later, I'm still morbidly fascinated with Charles Manson and the Family. I've read former Fug Ed Sanders' The Family twice, and now I may have to go back for a third time.
    Last edited by Lopez; 07-10-2013 at 01:01 PM.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

The Twelve by Justin Cronin -- I highly recommend this book. There are several plot lines that eventually merge. The fast pace and well-rounded characterization drew me in. This is the second book in a planned trilogy, but I didn't read the first book, and it didn't make it difficult to follow.

Now I am reading The Devil's Teeth (A True Story of Obsession and Survival Among America's Great White Sharks) by Susan Casey. I'm only half-way through and finding it very interesting.

Those of you who liked "Cloud Atlas" should read the "Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet." I liked it more......"Ghostwritten" is next on my David Mitchell list....if I ever finish Gaddis' "The Recognitions."

Someone may have already mentioned "Tenth of December" by George Saunders. Some of the best short story writing I've ever read. In turns dark, amusing, disturbing, but always thought-provoking. After each story I feel compelled to read it again to capture the nuances that I miss the first readthrough. Strong stuff, indeed. I'm anxious to explore some of his other work.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    I'm almost done with Vincent Bugliosi's Helter Skelter for the second time. I first read it years ago when it was first published. More than 40 years later, I'm still morbidly fascinated with Charles Manson and the Family. I've read former Fug Ed Sanders' The Family twice, and now I may have to go back for a third time.
    I have a morbid fascination with true crime in general. I recently read Bind, Torture, Kill: The Inside Story of BTK, the Serial Killer Next Door, Deviant: The Shocking True Story of Ed Gein, the Original Psycho & Edward Gein: America's Most Bizarre Murderer til I tired of reading trial transcripts and decided to finish it later. I read those Manson books many years ago too.

Just finished The Doors: Unhinged and starting Stevie Ray Vaughan : Caught in the Crossfire. If I like that, I'll probably get the books on his early and final years. Waiting in line are Bill Wyman's Stone Alone, Keith Richards' Life, and Laura Joplin's Love, Janis.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Inferno - Dan Brown
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    Someone may have already mentioned "Tenth of December" by George Saunders. . . . Strong stuff, indeed. I'm anxious to explore some of his other work.
    That was I, and, yes, great stuff. I really enjoyed The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil, but I suppose Civilwarland is the next best step. By the way, make sure you do not get any books by George P. Saunders. Completely different guy.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WHORG View Post
    The Cloud Atlas movie was very well done IMO - but the book reveals much more connectivity, and one of those "how the fuck did he write that" type of books. I believe it won some type of literary award when it was written - - -

My son (now 15) loves reading and books - and someday wants a full-fledged "library" in his own home some day. Much like a tiered Victorian styled affair with only hardcovers - he's well on his way with nearly 500 volumes of his favorites, along with my collection too. I am happy for him in this regard - and constantly add to his collection via yard sales, birthdays and Christmas gifts. He loves watching a movie where there's a "library room" shown in the film - he's keeping a journal of architectural ideas en route. His academic path will probably be architecture - and he's developed some really cool ideas about it all . . .

~JK
    Impressive. My most challenging endeavor as a 15 year old in the 70s was rolling the perfect joint (which I did, yeah!).

I'm reading a relatively new and short book on King Crimson. It's upstairs and I'm too lazy to check it but the author has direct connections to Fripp and some of the band members. I'm blissfully ignorant when the discussion turns to technical musical discourse but I'm finding it very interesting. The book starts in 69 and end in around 84 - lots of personal accounts of how the music literally shaped the author's life.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    I finished The Camel Club this past weekend. I think it's the best Baldacci book I've read; a real cliffhanger!
    I think I've read all of the books in the Camel Club series. They're strange ... and I find that they often start out pretty well, but get ridiculous toward the end.
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    I have been reading the "....In Death" series by J.D. Robb (Nora Roberts)....Don't laugh: its actually very enjoyable
    She lives very close to me. Interesting - she owns (probably) half of the businesses in downtown Bonnsboro, MD. A good friend of mine had a spa business down there, and got into a 2-way agreement with Roberts - i.e. you promote my gym and I'll promote your spa.
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Vonnegut's best imo! That and Cat's Cradle...
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Ears View Post
    Is Cat's Cradle worth reading?
    Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    It's one of his early works. Without giving away too much of the plot, it's kind of like a spoof on the arms race. The (fictional) co-inventor of the atom bomb had designed a product that turns water into solid state at room temperature. His kids have inherited the formula,which has been kept top secrect for many years...

I dunno - I was less than impressed by Cat's Cradle.
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    IMO the Hunger Games series was written for the same audience as Harry Potter...
    Speaking of which - I've bought (not yet read) the new J.K.Rowling book "The Cuckoo's Calling" - written as "Robert Galbraith". (Seems she thought she could keep this alter-ego secret, but was busted.)

I'm not a Potter fan, but I've been told the book is quite good...
    Regards,

Duncan

I haven't read this thread for a while. Any opinions on the new book by Khaled Hosseini? (sp?)
    Regards,

Duncan

^ haven't read it, but I'll throw out some praise for Hosseini. I taught The Kite Runner in a gifted freshmen class a few years ago and loved. One of the best experiences in my teaching career.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    I think I've read all of the books in the Camel Club series. They're strange ... and I find that they often start out pretty well, but get ridiculous toward the end.
    I have to agree. But I still enjoy them.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    I haven't read this thread for a while. Any opinions on the new book by Khaled Hosseini? (sp?)
    Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    ^ haven't read it, but I'll throw out some praise for Hosseini. I taught The Kite Runner in a gifted freshmen class a few years ago and loved. One of the best experiences in my teaching career.
    I've been wondering about this, too. However, I haven't read The Kite Runner yet.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Reading several books right now.

Einstein -Life And Times by Ronald W. Clark
    Stairway To Heaven by Zecharia Sitchin
    Ancient Mesopotamia -Portrait Of A Dead Civilization by A. Leo Oppenheim
    Human Knowledge - Its Scope And Limits by Bertrand Russell