Page 122 of 177 FirstFirst ... 2272112118119120121122123124125126132172 ... LastLast
Results 3,026 to 3,050 of 4416

Thread: What are you currently reading?

I read Crypto and the trilogy years ago and recall loving them. Sounds like I should read Anathem.

Currently reading Dave Eggar's "The Circle."
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    Read that 3 or 4 years ago. Liked it very much.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

A friend suggested the writer Peter Terrin from Belgium, so I started reading his latest novel Al Het Blauw (I guess it's translated All The Blue in English), a coming of age-story.
    As you can see on https://www.oldholland.com/nl/academ...-peter-terrin/ Terrin is also a painter.

Just started a new serial killer book: "Murder In The Bayou - Who Killed The Women Known As the Jeff Davis 8?" There was a showtime documentary about this one that I watched sometime last year and wanted to delve a bit deeper into the story.

Finally finished the massive Vonnegut. Now reading: Where the Drowned Girls Go, seventh "Wayward Children" book by Seanan McGuire. Every volume has been good so far so each time I am more afraid of being disappointed
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Just finished Harlem Shuffle by Colson Whitehead. Read it due to excellent reviews it was recieving. Whitehead is a critic favorite winning a Pulitzer for a previous novel. I guess he is known for mixing social commentary with his fiction. Harlem Shuffle is a crime novel taking place in early 60s NYC Harlem. It consists of 3 stories featuring the same charactors . I was interested as it was said the novel used actual locations , many no longer existing from the era. I enjoy NYC history . I'm not a fan of heavy handed social commentary and moralizing. Thankfully this is a balanced , engaging , depiction of crime culture of the period populated by well drawn characters. Once pulled in I found it an engrossing read. I'll try some other titles , if anyone has suggestions please share. I think the Nickel Boys is a big one for Whitehead but having read a synopsis I don't know if i'd be to happy with the subject.

Whiteheads previous two books (The Underground Railroad and The Nickle Boys) both won the Pulitzer Price. Both have racial problems as the main theme, although the first has surreal elements (the railroad is real in this story), while the second is based on true stories about black children abuse in an orphanage. Rough stuff. I just read an interview with him, a week after I saw a tv-interview for Dutch tv. Whitehead likes to view his work like David Bowie did: every book has a complete different theme and is written in a different genre. Harlem Shuffle though will get a follow up.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Whiteheads previous two books (The Underground Railroad and The Nickle Boys) both won the Pulitzer Price. Both have racial problems as the main theme, although the first has surreal elements (the railroad is real in this story), while the second is based on true stories about black children abuse in an orphanage. Rough stuff. I just read an interview with him, a week after I saw a tv-interview for Dutch tv. Whitehead likes to view his work like David Bowie did: every book has a complete different theme and is written in a different genre. Harlem Shuffle though will get a follow up.
    I'll give The Underground Railroad a try. Child abuse ,Nickel Boys,is not something I care to read about. I read it was intense. I'll pass.

The Least of Us: True Stories of America and Hope in the Time of Fentanyl and Meth - Sam Quinones

Super intense and frustrating but important.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Just finished Harlem Shuffle by Colson Whitehead. Read it due to excellent reviews it was recieving. Whitehead is a critic favorite winning a Pulitzer for a previous novel. I guess he is known for mixing social commentary with his fiction. Harlem Shuffle is a crime novel taking place in early 60s NYC Harlem. It consists of 3 stories featuring the same charactors . I was interested as it was said the novel used actual locations , many no longer existing from the era. I enjoy NYC history . I'm not a fan of heavy handed social commentary and moralizing. Thankfully this is a balanced , engaging , depiction of crime culture of the period populated by well drawn characters. Once pulled in I found it an engrossing read. I'll try some other titles , if anyone has suggestions please share. I think the Nickel Boys is a big one for Whitehead but having read a synopsis I don't know if i'd be to happy with the subject.
    The Underground Railroad was great, I thought....
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Daniel Deronda by George Eliot. The last lap!!

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Finished this one yesterday. Although well written again it's not my favorite Robotham. I like the series-books more, this is a so called stand alone novel. It's a mix "Single White Female", Scott Turow's "Presumed Innocent" and the family-parts of The Godfather. Anyway, the leading character acts so stupid now and then (which she admits later on) she had to get into trouble.

Next on my table: Dorothy Baker: Young Man With A Horn, originally written in 1938 and recently translated into Dutch. It's the story of Rick Martin and his love with music inthe jazz-age. The book is often called the first jazz-novel.
    I think my dad had it in English, so I suppose it's in a box under my bed, where all his jazz-books are.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    I read Crypto and the trilogy years ago and recall loving them. Sounds like I should read Anathem.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Read that 3 or 4 years ago. Liked it very much.
    Read it as well, loved it.

Just started "Ticking Clock: Behind The Scenes At 60 Minutes" by Ira Rosen. Very good so far.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    I'll give The Underground Railroad a try.
    Prime Video made a mini-series based on it recently: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6704972/

Guy Gavriel Kay, The Summer Tree. My friend the Tolkien expert who hates most fantasy recommended Kay (who, incidentally, was Christopher Tolkien's assistant in assembling the published Silmarillion), and, so far, I'm not regretting the suggestion at all.

^ Have you ever read Tigana? That's his masterwork.

No, this is the first Kay I've read. I'm quite impressed so far, so I'll probably finish the series before I move on to other Kay: but I'll put Tigana on Mount Tsundoku.

Finished 1619 Project, thought it was well done and seemed seamless from chapter to chapter even though each was written by a different author.

Next up is "Heavens On Earth The Scientific Search for the Afterlife, Immortality and Utopia" by Michael Shermer

This week I started something completely different: a fresh translation of Winnetou I from Karl May.

Just started "Empire Of The Southern Moon - Quanah Parker And The Rise & Fall Of The Comancehes". Really interesting so far.

Brooks Landon's Building Great Sentences, which is kind of an argument with Strunk's "Omit Needless Words".

My wife bought me William Goldman's The Princess Bride for xmas. A folio society printing. nicely bound, first edition-ish.
    And Neil DeGrasse Tyson ( with James Trefil ) Cosmic Queries from my MIL, also for xmas.
    And for fun a couple of Reza Farazmand's books from his comic Poorly Drawn Lines. Pretty funny stuff IMHO. poorlydrawnlines.com
    City Monster, Poorly Drawn Lines:Good Ideas and Amazing Stories, and Comics for a Strange World: A Book of Poorly Drawn Lines
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

The Big Note.... I may be some time
    'I would advise stilts for the quagmires"