Page 119 of 177 FirstFirst ... 1969109115116117118119120121122123129169 ... LastLast
Results 2,951 to 2,975 of 4412

Thread: What are you currently reading?

I'm in the middle of Stephen King's Bazaar of Bad Dreams, which I started in October, trying to find something with a "spooky vibe." Hope to finish it soon so that I can take another whack at A Christmas Carol, which I seem to start every December but can never finish in time for Christmas and lose interest in once the holiday is over.

I need to make more time to read.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Just started "Gangster Redemption" from Larry Lawton. Larry is a YouTube blogger who was a jewel thief for the mob and eventually spent quite a few years in prison. Today he has a YouTube channel where he talks about his life and things in the news from his perspective. He also does interviews with gangsters, law enforcement and others. Anyway, the book is not the best written, but his story is really interesting.

Unrequited Infatuations by Steve Van Zandt. Only just starting chapter 2, but so far I'm loving it.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Finding Baba Yaga: A Novel in Verse by Jane Yolen. Novelist, poet, here che combines them to write a series of poems - mostly unrhymed, none of them precious or obscure - telling the story of a modern young girl (Natasha) who finds her way to Baba Yaga's hut and becomes her -- slavey? protege? As far along as I've gotten, it's unclear.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

^ That sounds interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Unrequited Infatuations by Steve Van Zandt. Only just starting chapter 2, but so far I'm loving it.
    I've heard great things about that book!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Now up: On Samuel R. Delany's Dhalgren, edited by Bil Wood. Collection of essays, including contemporary reviews, comments by Delany himself, and more recent critical articles, about the bizarre novel that sold over a million copies with zero advertising budget. I confess to having read Dhalgren at least ten times, and I shall doubtless read it a few more times before I shuffle off to Buffalo, or wherever you shuffle off to that isn't on "this mortal coil".

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    That sounds interesting. Will have to pick it up.
    It was very good.

Now Reading Fantasyland How America Went Haywire - Kurt Andersen

I have it on my Kindle, but have not gotten to it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    It was very good.

Ndersen
    I ordered it. Thanks for the recommendation!

Lincoln Highway by Amor Towles. Well-written, if hokey, fifties Americana.

Currently reading "I Had A Hammer - The Hank Aaron Story" by Hank Aaron and Lonnie Wheeler. I purchased this one back when Hank died last year. So far it is really interesting.

Ben Greenman - Dig if you will the picture

A biography of Prince. I'm not a big fan of his music, but I admire his talent.

Inferno by Max Hastings. It's a single-volume history of the Second World War.

Woke Up This Morning: The Definitive Oral History of the Sopranos by Michael Imperoli and Steve Schirippa. The book form of the blog, Talking Sopranos, the two actors who played Christopher Moltisanti and Bobby Bacala host. Lots of interesting information about the characters, the actors, the writers, and the production of the TV show.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

^ Just finished Woke Up.... If you listen to their podcast it appears that at least half of the interviews in the book are transcripts. Still quite interesting for fans of the Sopranos, and if you've not heard the show it's a must-read. The off-camera interactions with Tony Sirico (Paulie Walnuts) are the funniest. It seems that the actor brought quite a bit of himself to the character, to say the least.

Woke Up This Morning: The Definitive Oral History of the Sopranos by Michael Imperoli and Steve Schirippa. The book form of the blog, Talking Sopranos, the two actors who played Christopher Moltisanti and Bobby Bacala host. Lots of interesting information about the characters, the actors, the writers, and the production of the TV show.
    I may need to check that one out. I just got "Tinder Box - HBO's Ruthless Pursuit Of New Frontiers" by James Andrew Miller. Have not started reading it yet, but I have read a few clips and one of them claims that James Gandolfini had a major cocaine / alcohol problem and would sometimes go on binges when production of the show had to be stopped. Speculation is that cocaine also contributed to his young death.

Anyway, I will have to check up Woke Up This morning.

Currently reading "The Greatest Gambling Story Ever Told - A True Tale Of Three Gamblers, The Kentucky Derby, And The Mexican Cartel". Not too far into it yet, so not sure where it is going, but interesting so far.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Light From Uncommon Stars by Ryka Aoki

Far From the Light of Heaven, by Tade Thompson

A rather massive graphic novel, My Favorite Thing Is Monsters, by Emil Ferris. A half-hispanic girl in Chicago in the late '60s who is like really alienated decides she wants to be one. Not fantasy or horror, there are no monsters other than human ones (at least so far), but there is a rather suspicious death that the heroine thiniks was made to look like a suicide. Really powerfully done; it is presented as notes and drawings by the girl in spiral-bound notebooks.

So far it's really really good.

Texas Flood: The Inside Story of Stevie Ray Vaughan, by Alan Paul and Andy Aledort.

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    Texas Flood: The Inside Story of Stevie Ray Vaughan, by Alan Paul and Andy Aledort.
    How is it?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    I may have to check into this one.