Page 105 of 177 FirstFirst ... 55595101102103104105106107108109115155 ... LastLast
Results 2,601 to 2,625 of 4416

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Kindred: Neanderthal Life, Love,Death and Art by Rebecca Wragg Sykes.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    I reread that one last year, utterly wonderful.
    What is it about this book that makes feel so strongly towards it?
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Finally got around to Dirk Gently and read all two and a half of them. The Beatles jokes in the first one were astounding. Also loved Desmond the three-thousand pound rhino.

So, what was the book with the rain god, where it's always raining wherever he is? I thought that was in one of the Dirk books but he's not. So was that Pratchett then?

I couldn't come up with that so I had to have read it somewhere. I'm not that clever and it's driving me a little bit wonky. I don't think it was in any of Pratchett's discworld and he seems to be the likely guy to write a character like that unless it was maybe Neil Gaiman?

It won't come to me, that knowledge. I've tried to find it but am coming up with zero.

Anyway, on to Winston Groom's book Shrouds Of Glory which I found hanging around the house. He's the dude who wrote Forrest Gump and it's about General Hood's attempts to keep fighting for the Confederacy even though the war was lost.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    General Hood's attempts to keep fighting for the Confederacy even though the war was lost.
    I know someone else like that.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Yesterday I drove past a home proudly flying, at equal height, a confederate flag and a US flag. Sadly, it is not even close to the most objectionable thing I have seen in this town.

I'm about 2/3 through the Dresden Files series. Reading one or two books then going somewhere else before I come back to avoid burnout. Currently on his short story book.

The Bonehunters (Malazan Book of the Fallen #6) by Steven Erikson

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I'm now over half way through:

Pot Culture: The A-Z Guide to Stoner Language and Life by Shirley Haperin and Steve Bloom.

A alphabetical celebration of all things pot and hash. As of this year, legal in Canada! That just blows my mind. Will finish the book off this week - some good laughs, tips on smoking, and the entire culture!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I'm about 2/3 through the Dresden Files series. Reading one or two books then going somewhere else before I come back to avoid burnout. Currently on his short story book.
    There's actually two short story books, but read them in order of publication and you can't go wrong.

Shit gets deeply real in the most recent two books (which are really one long novel).
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Currently reading "Greenlights" from Matthew Mcconaughey. I was a bit reluctant going into this book, but I am finding it quite interesting. He certainly had a very different upbringing from what I experienced. I am not too far into it yet, but so far so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Shit gets deeply real in the most recent two books (which are really one long novel).
    Well, as real as magicians and vampires and fairies and the arcane can get, I suppose.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Well, as real as magicians and vampires and fairies and the arcane can get, I suppose.
    Well... yeah ...

Received Graham Nash's book for Christmas.. quick read.. having read Crosby's book years ago and Young's book a couple years ago.. not expecting any real surprises with this version of the CSNY story.. interesting tidbits regarding Hollies years as a pop band..

Mother! The Frank Zappa Story by British writer Michael Gray. I'm enjoying it. Lots of nuggets about Frank's early musical life in Cucamonga.

Up next is The Wanderer: Dion's Story, the autobiography of Dion DiMucci.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Received Graham Nash's book for Christmas.. quick read.. having read Crosby's book years ago and Young's book a couple years ago.. not expecting any real surprises with this version of the CSNY story.. interesting tidbits regarding Hollies years as a pop band..
    Does he talk at all about why he no longer talks to Crosby? After all of these years, what was the proverbial last straw?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    I read that one a few years ago. I have also read both of Crosby's books and Young's. Nash's was a nice addition to the story. If you are looking for a really really good CSN&Y biography I would highly recommend this one that came out in 2019. Probably the best book about the band that I have read: https://www.amazon.com/Crosby-Stills...s%2C575&sr=1-3

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Does he talk at all about why he no longer talks to Crosby? After all of these years, what was the proverbial last straw?
    If I remember right the book was written before the final break up happened. He talks about earlier break ups, but not the most recent.

I am currently reading "A Promised Land" by Barrack Obama. I am about half way through it and finding it very interesting. It is pretty much a straight up memoir of his election and first 4 years in office. Good stuff regardless of where one stands politically.

A.O. Scott: Better Living through Criticisim. A defense of/apology for and explanation/mystification of criticism. Points out that indeed everybody is a critic, suggesting that "criticism" is merely an articulated response or reaction to a work of art (in the broad sense of the word). Most art, indeed, is criticism, in that it responds or reacts to previous work in some way.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Most art, indeed, is criticism, in that it responds or reacts to previous work in some way.
    I would disagree with this last premise, but then I would be a critic.

Sounds like you have your answer now.. I'm up to 1971 in the book.. but I recall finding a video on Youtube where Graham discusses the reasons at length..

Crosby talks about it in the documentary David Crosby: Remember My Name from 2019

Making my way through The Thousand Autumns Of Jacob De Zoet by David Mitchell. I must admit the first 50 pages weren't easy to get into the story (especially compared to Utopia Avenue). Lots of names (Japanese, Dutch, German, English) and characters. But when Jacob meets the mysterious Japanese woman you feel it the book is beginning to live.

^^^
    My favorite Mitchell book. It is a bit rough to start, but it's a fascinating read.

^^^ It’s quite possibly my favourite David Mitchell too, so do persevere with it, it’s an excellent story.