Thread: Newer New Voivod

Newer New Voivod

The fact that Voivod are still pumping out new music and taking chances is really awesome!

I love that band! even more with trumpets and sax

Great band, great song/video. Really dig Voivod. Progressive as all get out. I've probably heard their entire discography. I was listening to Outer Limits last weekend. Can't praise this band enough.

Quote Originally Posted by jarmsuh View Post
    I love that band! even more with trumpets and sax
    I've always wondered why so few people have experimented with or pursued the "metal with brass" concept.
    Brass Against out of NYC - who do almost all covers - and Jerseyband are the only other ones I can think of right now.
    Thank You Scientist sort of do it, but they only have two horns (and a violin), and you really need four or five to get a sound big enough to stand as an equal to an overdriven guitar.
    Last edited by Baribrotzer; 06-13-2020 at 11:07 AM.

That new track is very Crimson/Zappa, especially Crimson. I hear a horn section and slashing, metallic guitars, I think early Crimson.

Oh, yeah! This is great! Love me some Voivod!

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    I've always wondered why so few people have experimented with or pursued the "metal with brass" concept.
    Brass Against out of NYC - who do almost all covers - and Jerseyband are the only other ones I can think of right now.
    Thank You Scientist sort of do it, but they only have two horns (and a violin), and you really need four or five to get a sound big enough to stand as an equal to an overdriven guitar.
    On a different genre, (Avant-Garde metal) there's a good metal band that uses trumpet, trombone,etc. Diablo Swing Orchestra

Quote Originally Posted by jarmsuh View Post
    On a different genre, (Avant-Garde metal) there's a good metal band that uses trumpet, trombone,etc. Diablo Swing Orchestra
    I've heard them. Interesting stuff, although it sounds too dependent on production to me.

That sounds good. It's an interesting alternative version. Might take a couple more listens to really ingest it.
    Voivod lost an irreplaceable part when Piggy died. Chewy is as strong a fit to the void he left as anyone could be, though. He's managed to successfully maintain the spirit of what Piggy gave the band but has helped the band move forward musically with his own voice. This is a good testament to that.

I don't listen to the stuff with Eric or Jason, 4 albums I ignore. Eric was just not a good fit and I don't know how much to attribute to Jason, but when he was in the band it had no soul. And it really annoyed me when he was on that Rockstar show and said "My band Voivod" about 50 times an episode. It was never his band.

Just listened to Katorz today. Didn't like it much. Piggy was a fantastic guitarist and riffmeister. Real tough to replace, but the tune posted by the OP is damn good!

Target Earth is an excellent album.

Who is going to pay to see this live event august 9, by Voivod :

Come one, come all on August 9, 2020 at 4:00pm EDT for a one-time broadcast and help us celebrate!

We will be performing LIVE at the same studio we recorded our Juno winning album “The Wake”.

This stream will be available EXCLUSIVELY at www.ThePointOfSale.com....

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Taking this idea as far as possible are Ottone Pesante, who play a kind of metal with a lineup of just trombone, tuba and drums:

I'm a fan.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile