Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The King Crimson gene

Quote Originally Posted by bigjohnwayne View Post
    Holy crap, Cloud About Mercury is really good.
    Oh my, yes. A favorite album for me.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Islands playing right now. The older HDCD encoded disc sounds pretty rad on an HDCD player (my olde Rotel 951). Too bad that format didn't travel farther. Love this album...this was the classiKc KC album that sort of evaded me for a long time...then I stopped being an asshole and started digging. Wait, I'm still an asshole....ignore that last part. This album sounds like normal Henry Cow at points.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    And impossible to get. Long OOP. One of several David Cross albums I currently covet.
    Ref: Low Flying Aircraft: Well at least you can hear it on You Tube if you are unfamiliar with it.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Islands playing right now. The older HDCD encoded disc sounds pretty rad on an HDCD player (my olde Rotel 951). Too bad that format didn't travel farther. Love this album...this was the classiKc KC album that sort of evaded me for a long time...then I stopped being an asshole and started digging. Wait, I'm still an asshole....ignore that last part. This album sounds like normal Henry Cow at points.
    Absolutely love Islands. "Formentera Lady" would be a great addition to the current Crim's setlist. I think I recall reading that Fripp is not a fan of the song, though. Too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Italian singer Alice has worked with some of the members of KC through the years. I remember the first time I heard of her was on Park Hotel with Tony Levin. On her album Viaggio In Italia she covers the song Islands, together with Tim Bowness, another one who worked with KC-members:

^^On her website there's a nice page with all musicians that have played on her albums: http://www.alice-officialwebsite.com/musicisti.html

So, with all the Crimson Genes floating about this thread, make a comprehensive 3 CD (240 minutes+-) playlist to represent the collected output.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bigjohnwayne View Post
    Holy crap, Cloud About Mercury is really good.
    I love it too, but that thin, bloodless ECM mix kills me. Bruford & Levin sound as though they are playing in another room through a closed door.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    I was just revisiting the Black Light Syndrome album. There are some really good tracks there. My fav:

Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

The Music Improvisation Company album (ECM 1005) w/Jamie Muir and Derek Bailey was like getting hit w/ an arrhythmical Trout Mask meteor as a teen who was just starting to acclimate to KC. Parts of that record bear a resemblance to some of the darker Lark's Tongues through Red improvisational moments. It can take awhile for this one to print in the brain. https://open.spotify.com/album/35aiJ...?autoplay=true
    Last edited by Bake 2; 07-22-2020 at 11:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boceephus View Post
    So, with all the Crimson Genes floating about this thread, make a comprehensive 3 CD (240 minutes+-) playlist to represent the collected output.
    1. "Of Bow and Drum" by Adrian Belew / Op Zop Too Wah
    2. "Mr. B.B." by Bruford & Bortslap / In Concert in Holland
    3. "Take a Pebble" by ELP / Mar Y Sol
    4. "Beelzebub" by Bruford / Feels Good to Me
    5. "Fin De Siecele" by B.L.U.E / self-titled
    6. "The Chase" by California Guitar Trio + Levin & Mastelotto / self-titled
    7. "Firepower" by Sylvian & Fripp / Damage
    8. "Previous Man" by David Torn / Cloud about Mercury
    9. "Demimonde" by Ian McDonald / Drivers Eyes

10. "Walk Around the World" by Adrian Belew / Side One
    11. "Up North" by Earthworks / Stamping Ground Live
    12. "The Other Man" by Jakszyk, Fripp and Collins / Scarcity of Miracles
    13. "Trap" by League of Gentlemen / God Save the King
    14. "Suite in C" by McDonald & Giles / self-titled
    15. "Radiation" by UKZ / self-titled
    16. "Progress" by Michael Giles / Progress
    17. "Absinthe & A Cracker" by TU / self-titled
    18. "Wonderland" by Giles, Giles & Fripp / The Brondensbury Tapes

19. "Breathless" by Robert Fripp / Exposure
    20. "No One Left To Lie To" by Jakko Jakszyk / The Bruised Romantic Glee Club
    21. "The Night People" by Peter Sinfield / Still
    22. "Blockhead" by The Robert Fripp String Quintet / The Bridge Between
    23. "Cusp" by Stickmen with David Cross / PANAMERICA
    24. "Tell Me Your Name" by The David Cross Band / Closer than Skin
    25. "Etude in the Key of Guildford" by Tony Levin / World Diary
    26. "China Yellow Leader" by Summers & Fripp / I Advance Masked
    27. "Acquiring Canopus" by Trey Gunn / The Third Star
    28. "Mental Medication" by U.K. / self-titled
    29. "Freedom" by Sunday All Over the World / self-titled
    30. BONUS TRACK: "21st Century Schizoid Man" by The 21st Century Schizoid Band / Official Bootleg Volume One
    Last edited by polmico; 07-23-2020 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Forgot the David Torn track!

Trey Gunn was mentioned quite often. Love it how he developed through the years.
    An interesting project was Quodia: The Arrow - A Story In Seven Parts, which he did with Joe Mendelson and a couple of other musicians like Pat Mastelotto and Matt Chamberlain.
    Available in stereo and 5.1 surround.

It was also performed live:

The eons are closing
    ^^ completely forgot about that, now on the buy list.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Here are a few others that haven't been mentioned that fall under the umbrella.

Prometheus. Pat on drums and some Guitar Craft dudes. The vocals are not to my liking, but there is some cool music. I got the CD back around the time that Thrak was released. Interestingly, the best track for me was the only one written by Sanford Ponder (Botanica). It's called Sardukar. Apparently, it uses fractals ad a basis for the compostiton.

There is also Toyah's album Ophelia's Shadow, which is kinda like Sunday All Over the World, part 2, the TU live album, Rhythm Buddies - Thunderbird Suite (which is basically the first TU album), and Tony Levin Band's Pieces of the Sun.

Trey and Pat also played on a track on Azam Ali's (Vas) album Elysium for the Brave.

I am a big fan of Trey Gunn Band's The Joy of Molybdenum. Great album. I saw them touring for this album in Cambridge, MA. Killer show.

For those who might have missed the separate thread:

Hi everyone!

Well, I've been intimating at a project that's been occupying my time over the past few months, and today I can finally announce it. This is the press release that will be released tomorrow at All About Jazz:

==========================
    All About Jazz Senior Contributor John Kelman is pleased to announce, after nearly fifteen years associated with the website, his first book, currently in progress and expected to be released sometime next year by Panegyric Publishing. The book revolves around his vast amount of writing about King Crimson, one of the founding fathers of progressive rock though, 50 years on, the group prefers not to be saddled with what has become a reductionist term.

The book will repurpose his AAJ writing about the band, from CD and box set reviews spanning the group’s entire career to live performance coverage and interviews with members of the current seven-piece lineup and more. The AAJ content will be revised and upgraded/updated, giving John the opportunity to improve upon what he has already written. There will also be new content written as “connective tissue” to tie everything together.

The book’s purview will include all of John’s articles about King Crimson, solo projects by KC members, past and present, and a “one degree of separation” philosophy, to extend things a little further So, since Bill Bruford worked with guitarist Allan Holdsworth and keyboardist Dave Stewart, for example, in the former Crimson drummer’s first group as a leader, Bruford, a select group of articles about both artists will also be included. Similarly, since Crimson guitarist/keyboardist Robert Fripp has worked in a duo with Theo Travis, some of John's writing about the saxophonist/flautist will be brought into the book.

“Needless to say, I’m thrilled that my very first book will be published by the publishing arm of King Crimson’s longtime label, Panegyric Recordings,” says John. “I’m also happy that, depending upon how well the Crimson book does, Panegyric Publishing has expressed potential interest in possible future books that collect some of the other 2,843 articles that I have published at AAJ since 2004 into similarly ‘themed’ books.

“I’m already thinking ahead,” enthuses Kelman. “A potential second book would similarly collect all of my writing about ECM Records, with the addition of 15 interviews, conducted back in 2001/02 for a project that never came to pass, and which have never before seen the light of day. A third book might collect all of my writing about the Norwegian music scene, culling CD reviews and live performances from here in Canada, but also drawing on my many visits to various locations across the country, from Kristiansand in the south to Svalbaard in the far North, between 2006 and 2014.

“But, of course, one step at a time,” John says, cautiously. “First, I need to finish the King Crimson book and hope that it will do well enough to encourage Panegyric’s interest in publishing a second title. In the meantime, I’m just plain excited to be working on a project that I think will interest many King Crimson fans (and, hopefully, others too!). Being published by the group’s label will not only help get the word out in a big way, it’s simply an opportunity that I never thought would come to pass when I first started thinking about this book in 2019.

“I will not be writing for AAJ while I work on the book,” John explains, “but in between books (assuming there will be future titles of course!), I will, of course, be back to writing for the site that has truly made all of this possible.”

Kelman has just started a dedicated Facebook page, where interested Crimson fans will be able to follow the book’s progress. “They might even help me select a title for the book, as I’ve already got about ten potential ideas right now, and expect more to come.” So please follow Kelman on Facebook at jkelmanbooks. The initial content is relatively light, but more will be added, hopefully once per week. It will also allow interested people to connect with John and engage in discussions about the project.
    =============

While I'll try to periodically update here at PE and elsewhere, I hope folks understand that I need to make that Facebook page my primary place for updates. Given I'm already spending a lot of hours each week working on the book (and considering I'm doing this while still struggling with chronic fatigue syndrome/M.E.), I won't have the kind of time to be all over the web. I plan to try and update things once per week - and, for those of you who don't use Facebook, I believe the page is made entirely public, so you don't need a Facebook account to see it.

Thanks everyone. Back to work!

PS: here's a link to the press release, from yesterday.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    David Cross and David Jackson, Another Day: David Cross sure has been busy lately! This album again finds him working with Mick Paul (on bass). Craig Blundell is the drummer. He and Paul create an interesting and varied rhythm section. But the obvious draw is the interaction between Cross and Jaxon. And it delights on every level. Sounds like a lot of improvisation. It's definitely a lot of fun.
    I enjoyed Another Day. There's also the David Cross and Peter Banks album Crossover with Pat Mastelotto, Jeremy Stacey and Andy Jackson among guests. But I think my favourite was Ends Meeting by David Cross and Andrew Booker (Sanguine Hum, Henry Fool, Harmony in Diversity).

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/