Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Greg Walker's post NEARFest festival?

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Well a few of us talk about Mary Halvorson, I've seen her a few times at Big Ears and own a bunch of her stuff. Terrific artist making new interesting music. Yay Big Ears!
    Same can be said for Julia Holter or Shabaka Hutchings. Both extremely talented and creative but they DO sell out gigs. I think there is a big group of younger people out there that is interested in progressive music. Just not in progressive rock.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A405FN met Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    I think there is a big group of younger people out there that is interested in progressive music. Just not in progressive rock.
    Or, as it was, 'prog-rock purportedly done properly'.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Same can be said for Julia Holter or Shabaka Hutchings. Both extremely talented and creative but they DO sell out gigs. I think there is a big group of younger people out there that is interested in progressive music. Just not in progressive rock.

I pretty much buy everything Shabaka Hutchings is on, he's a terrific talent, I've seen him live in The Comet Is Coming and Sons Of Kemet, both fantastic live. His impact on my listening has also rolled out to the whole London Nu Jazz scene. Loving the exploration.

Guess I need to check Julia Holter.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I pretty much buy everything Shabaka Hutchings is on, he's a terrific talent, I've seen him live in The Comet Is Coming and Sons Of Kemet, both fantastic live. His impact on my listening has also rolled out to the whole London Nu Jazz scene. Loving the exploration.

Guess I need to check Julia Holter.
    Big fan here too. All 3 bands of Shabaka are completely different from eachother and they all have a completely own sound while retaining a certain accesebility.

I had tix to see Shabaka & the ancestors this summer. Was really looking forward to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    My opinion was that he should have waited until 2013, both for distance from NEARfest and Zoellner would have been open.
    Agree completely. I would have went. Switzerland's Island (I think that is their name), were also going to be on the bill.

neil

Quote Originally Posted by nearfest View Post

However, less-than-40 year old musical geniuses like Mary Halvorson, making exceptionally interesting music that stirs the mind and the heart... makes the cover of Downbeat and wins a beyond-prestigious MacArthur Foundation Grant but draws cricket noises here ;-)
    Does she play any Yes?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Does she play any Yes?
    Yes? I mean maybe. No.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Yes? I mean maybe. No.
    Dammit. And it's still good?

And Circus (Switzerland), were scheduled (?) to appear. That may be the Swiss band the poster above is thinking of.
    Jay Taylor and myself were invited for as yet undefined stage/tech roles, and l remember that one because l would have crawled from GA over broken glass to see it.

As l dimly recall the fest was simply overambitious (the crew would have been there a week, and maybe 4 days for the audience?) But good heavens, what a show it would have been.
    Last edited by veteranof1000psychicwars; 07-01-2021 at 09:25 PM.

Banned
    IMO the fact that CTTE is so successful argues against the gloom and doom posted here about progressive music festivals. I’ll go out on a limb and say that people who were 10 years old in 1969 and got into the first wave of prog, will be the ones when they retire from work in 5 years or earlier, to support prog festivals as an average case. Just a generalization which predicts the next wave of support. The last intense 10 or 15 years of their careers made it difficult to support with money and time. It’s very clear how older retired people than this benchmark support music festivals of music preceding prog, such as Delfest. Delfest gets a huge young crowd now, plus many retirees with time and money.
    Last edited by Firth; 07-02-2021 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    IMO the fact that CTE is so successful argues against the gloom and doom posted here about progressive music festivals. I’ll go out on a limb and say that people who were 10 years old in 1969 and got into the first wave of prog, will be the ones when they retire from work in 5 years or earlier, to support prog festivals as an average case. Just a generalization which predicts the next wave of support. The last intense 10 or 15 years of their careers made it difficult to support with money and time. It’s very clear how older retired people than this benchmark support music festivals of music preceding prog, such as Delfest. Delfest gets a huge young crowd now, plus many retirees with time and money.
    As a person who is recently retired, I get what you are saying. For myself I am going to have more time available for live music events and plan on supporting as much as possible. We will be attending our first CTTE next year, but I get the impression that it is more of a worldwide vacation destination with a lot of people from outside the U.S. on board. For the U.S. festivals, yes people who are retired may have more time available, but the audience is also getting old. As we all know we have lost some of our friends in the prog community over the past few years, and that will just continue we continue to age. Music festivals in general seem to be getting more and more popular, especially with young people, but the traditional prog audience skews old these days. Regarding Greg’s festival I think he just tried to bite off too much too soon. Most of the U.S. festivals that have been successful have started out small and then either grown or stayed small to survive.

Banned
    Steve, good post and right on

What I remember is that Farfest was supposed to serve as a sort of interim festival to fill in the gap when NF 2011 was cancelled due to low ticket sales. Ironically, Farfest suffered the same fate. It's a shame Greg never tried to do it again. I think if he considered using a crowdfunding platform it could have been successful.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    What I remember is that Farfest was supposed to serve as a sort of interim festival to fill in the gap when NF 2011 was cancelled due to low ticket sales. Ironically, Farfest suffered the same fate. It's a shame Greg never tried to do it again. I think if he considered using a crowdfunding platform it could have been successful.
    I think that time was also a difficult period for a lot of us to attend because we had kids in school during the years when it was a big deal to take them out of school for a couple of days. I STILL have that problem because our two kids have a 10-year age gap.