Thread: Barnes Film Festival - Cardiacs, Kavus Torabi, Mike Vennart, Major Parkinson

Barnes Film Festival - Cardiacs, Kavus Torabi, Mike Vennart, Major Parkinson

Didn't see this posted here, but it is posted on Kavus' Facebook page. This looks amazing. Sets are spread across several days.

https://www.barnesfilmfestival.com/events2020

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

Well this is something...
    On Tuesday 23rd June the Cardiacs film, Some Fairytales From the Rotten Shed, will be shown as part of the Barnes Film Festival, which will be online.
    In addition to this there will be special lockdown sets from me, Mike Vennart and Major Parkinson.
    Following the film, an interview I recorded with Ashley Jones, talking about my time in Cardiacs and specifically making The Rotten Shed, will be shown.
    All proceeds from this will be going to the NHS but, given how hard times are, if you require 50% off your festival pass, the code is [ BFFFriends ]
    I hope you can join us.
    xxx

BFF.jpg

Bumping. I have to believe that many are interested in this.

Thanks.....IN!
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

Charlie Looker has also recorded a set, I believe.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Sweet
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Cardiacs are my absolute favo(u)rite band, they have enriched my life incomparably. Just finished watching Kavus' post-Shed interview; it was utterly fantastic!

THEY'RE STILL PLANNING TO EVENTUALLY FINISH AND RELEASE LSD????!!!!!!

I've been barely hanging on for the past few months, but this just made my summer. "I was demoted to guitarist"--I can't stop grinning.

Kavus always said that LSD was going to be released at some point. So we wait.

Quote Originally Posted by eyerolls View Post

THEY'RE STILL PLANNING TO EVENTUALLY FINISH AND RELEASE LSD????!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Kavus always said that LSD was going to be released at some point. So we wait.
    Rats I missed this thing. So what's the deal then? Any other info regarding that? Probably the greatest news I have ever heard all year by far....well (hopefully) along with good news on the morning of November 4th.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Rats I missed this thing. So what's the deal then? Any other info regarding that? Probably the greatest news I have ever heard all year by far....well (hopefully) along with good news on the morning of November 4th.
    The Q&A is currently available on-demand for anyone with a "premium" festival pass; staff have told me access to the archive will remain open for a week after the festival. 50% discounted premium passes are available, but the code given out was slightly off, it should be "BFFFriends!" (without quotes, but with the exclamation mark).

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    LSD was completely recorded except for the vocals. I understand Timmy is now well enough to direct things in the studio but still unable to sing. I think Kavus mentioned once that they were thinking about using guest singers. Jo Spratley would be a logical choice I think.

That's amazing....thanks for the update guys

Thanks for the details. I was in a work meeting, so I had the meeting in one ear and the interview in the other. Not sure how effective that was for me.

Sorry, I think there’s crossed wires here. Tim is very much not well enough to oversee things.
    The idea is to finish the album if/ when he’s ready, which we will, but it’s not imminent.

Did anyone catch the Vennart set? I was working. Was it pre-recorded?

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    Sorry, I think there’s crossed wires here. Tim is very much not well enough to oversee things.
    The idea is to finish the album if/ when he’s ready, which we will, but it’s not imminent.
    I was absolutely under that impression from your response during the Q&A--I did not mean to imply otherwise. My excitement was due to having thought the project shelved entirely, inferred from something I remember reading in the Quietus some time ago.

Apologies for any confusion.

shit, I wish I had known about this..Vennart, Major Parkinson and the doc.

Hi!
    The interview I did for this festival, largely about my time in Cardiacs and especially about the Rotten Shed film, is now online here.

https://youtu.be/5O5g6-06QDc

Really interesting stuff Kavus! Almost like a Garage rehearsals commentary track.

Who were Johnny4 by the way? I know they were played with Cardiacs in 05, but i can't find any info on them anywhere (guess who stayed drinking in the Angel pub round the corner and missed the support that year?).

Johnny 4 were a young band from Chichester, who were managed by a friend of mine. I’d seen them in the mid 2000’s a couple of times and enjoyed them but, having heard a couple of recordings they’d made, suggested to their manager that I could do a much better job of producing them.
    Sheer chutzpah and hubris on my part, I’d never ‘produced’ anything beyond my own music at this point, but I genuinely thought I could do it and gave him an attractive price.
    He booked a couple of weeks in The Doghouse, a residential studio belonging to Jethro Tull’s Barrie Barlow.

A particular highlight of the session was this...Barrie loved the band and one evening he was down with us listening to what we had done that day and I asked him if he wanted to play tabla (which he had recently acquired) on one song.
    He was totally up for it and went back to the house, fetched them and we stuck a condenser over them and recorded him. It sounded rubbish, but hey! Barriemore Barlow from the ‘Tull!

The sessions were enormous fun, the band were terrific players, their songs were both interesting and catchy and I got to be an old-school producer, arranging, suggesting changes, modulations and writing bits here and there. Once we were done I took the analogue tapes to Tim Smith’s place and we mixed them there.

Tim Smith is an enormous Jethro Tull fan, believing no one quite ‘gets’ them like he does. He was over the moon at the idea of mixing something with BB on it.

What would happen is Tim would spend the first few hours of each day cleaning up the tracks of whatever song we were mixing that day and getting everything to sound good, while I worked next door, in the office, writing text and stories (what they now call ‘content’) for what would be the newly launched Cardiacs website. Once he was done, usually mid-afternoon, he’d call me in and we’d work on the rest of the mix (automation etc) together.

One morning, giggling, he called me in. He solo’d Barrie’s tabla part.
    Behind the sound of the cosmic Indian hand drums, imperceptible when in the mix but very clear on its own, was Barrie breathlessly cursing -THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE SONG- as he played. Trrr-tt-tt-trrr...‘Jesus!’... tappitty-tap-tap ‘Fucking hell!’... tap-trrrr-tappity-tap ‘Oh Christ!’

It was wonderful!

The album sounded fantastic but, despite being manufactured, never came out, although I have a copy. It’s a long and extremely frustrating story. Classic management/ label/ music biz bullshit and a reminder why I don’t generally interface with that world.

Tim and I did get paid though, which was something.
    Last edited by Kavus Torabi; 3 Days Ago at 07:34 AM.

^ great story!