Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vinyl Record Appraisals

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Listen, contact Archie Patterson at Eurock.com. He's the only person I know of who sold off a collection of that size, successfully (which means for decent money). I think he found an angel donor.
    A collection with items like the ones Patterson's had, easily liquidates successfully. Having bought some rarities off it, I know what I'm talking about...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    A collection with items like the ones Patterson's had, easily liquidates successfully. Having bought some rarities off it, I know what I'm talking about...
    Yep, it was a work of art (having perused it a number of times myself...)

I was SHOCKED when I heard he'd sold it!

I once had a 5,000 lp collection, which I've culled down in half over past 5 years.
    The commodity records with no large value, I've donated to charity as most stores wouldn't pay much or even buy these, probably not worth the shipping costs.
    Then good collectible lp's been selling on eBay in 4 lp batches for 20-50 bucks. A bit tedious, but do it in batches, fall season is best.
    So far I've kept the best of the collection for myself, about 1,500 disks.

I'm going to Sacramento in a month. I'll probably sell 10,000 records and move the rest to Seattle. Anything you want that I should bring with me?

EVERYONE, and I mean EVERYONE overvalues their vinyl. I've moved around a fair bit from country to country and camp to camp and I also have regular clear-outs of vinyl, my usual route is first to go to a record shop & see what if anything they want to buy, the rest I give away to friends and colleagues and what's left I donate to charity shops. BELIEVE me, you can't even give away a lot of vinyl. I've tried several times and I always end up giving piles of vinyl to charity shops. I'd rather see them make some money out of them rather than sitting on my shelves taking up space and unlistened to.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    EVERYONE, and I mean EVERYONE overvalues their vinyl. I've moved around a fair bit from country to country and camp to camp and I also have regular clear-outs of vinyl, my usual route is first to go to a record shop & see what if anything they want to buy, the rest I give away to friends and colleagues and what's left I donate to charity shops. BELIEVE me, you can't even give away a lot of vinyl. I've tried several times and I always end up giving piles of vinyl to charity shops. I'd rather see them make some money out of them rather than sitting on my shelves taking up space and unlistened to.
    That's true if you try to sell to a retailer. You'll be lucky if you get 50 cents per disc. The best chance, and most time-consuming is Ebay, but even then, expect to be disappointed, unless you have some real gems.

There are actually some kids out there who are enamored by vinyl and would LOVE to get some free discs. My wife's nephew was over a few months ago and talking about a crappy record player he picked up. I gave him our old turntable and receiver. (I still have my good one.) Turns out the kid loves Skynyrd. I gave him my vinyl of Gold & Platinum that was played only once and the kid nearly shit himself.

I heard about this record collector in Philadelphia that sold off his 1,000,000 record collection. Had a $500 entry fee and all the records you can carry off in an hour setup.

Interesting wrinkle on a sales technique.
    A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Blah_Blah_Woof_Woof View Post
    Anything you want that I should bring with me?
    A buyer with deep pockets.

Why? Are you selling something?

Why? Are you selling something?
    For the right price I would. I still have 3500+ LPs and I don't want to move them into my retirement cabin.

I was SHOCKED when I heard he'd sold it!
    Me as well...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    this is why i don't want to get married. husband wants divorce. husband wants my collection as part of community property. police find parts of husband in six states.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Well, Rune, we'll see who's still standing in two weeks when I return to Sac to reclaim my collection...

Quote Originally Posted by raconteur troubadour View Post
    I heard about this record collector in Philadelphia that sold off his 1,000,000 record collection. Had a $500 entry fee and all the records you can carry off in an hour setup.
    So far as I know, his collection is 3,500,000 pieces. And he's still looking for a buyer.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Record-Rama

Well, I've schlepped the record collection over the mountains, from Sacramento to West Seattle! It took a 26' truck, 18 hours of driving and a lot of labor on both ends!

Now, to process and install all this junk into my small house! I hope everyone had a happy Record Store Day. I went to Easy Street Records here in town.

Well, I've schlepped the record collection over the mountains, from Sacramento to West Seattle! It took a 26' truck, 18 hours of driving and a lot of labor on both ends!

Now, to process and install all this junk into my small house! I hope everyone had a happy Record Store Day. I went to Easy Street Records here in town.
    Congrats !

I was static at my home listening some plastic.

NGC-4594 - Going Home

I just got the Belgium's sales for 2012

CDs: 9 millions (for a population of 11 millions, down fromů 11 millions in 2009
    Vinyls: 55000 untis up from 20000 in 2009
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Easy Street is a great place. What part of West Seattle? I used to live way out on the northern tip of California Avenue NW. Commanding views of the whole of the Seattle waterfront!

I'm just down the street from the Junction. (Function at the Junction)

There is -- or was last time I was over there -- a great Cuban restaurant in the Junction called "Matador." The website says Tex-Mex but when I was there the menu was mostly Cuban.

Best of Luck to you. In my settlement it went something like this "take your crappy noise out of my house" to which the reply was "be sure to take out the disco garbage before I leave or it will be skeet shooting time". I moved over a week ago a collection less than 1/10th the size and I'm still feeling it. Be careful.

congratulations Indeed!
    regards
    KGH
    www.artbykgh.com

Wherein one can peruse all manner of Digital Artwork & Photography. . .

Just want to comment on this, too.

One of the reasons CDs so quickly decimated LP sales, besides the obvious quality improvement, was the profit margins. CDs cost half (or less) what it cost to manufacture LPs, and they sold for up to twice what LPs were selling for, due to the perceived value increase. Stores were only too happy to dump their vinyl -- with extensive returns for bad pressings, warpage
    That's funny in a way, as I remember when exchanging an album some dealers looked at you like you were being too picky, or something was up. At most retail outlets like T,G &Y, or a Gibsons, or some other outlets they just say yeah, go get another one--heck they didn't even have a turntable around to look at the record, but a genuine records store, they look at you funny at times.