Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spotify Help Please....

Spotify Help Please....

Before you tell me to read the instructions online....I DID....and I still can't figure this out.

I need to download my entire Cardiacs collection (CD) to my Spotify app on my phone. I can't figure out how to to that. Help please!! Danke.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

And my Bandcamp purchases!

I believe Spotify is streaming only. In other words, it plays only its own content from the cloud, not what you have saved locally. What you need is a music or media playing app to play your music locally. On an Android phone, that would be players like JetAudio, MX Player, or VLC. On an iPhone, iTunes or Ecoute.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    I believe Spotify is streaming only. In other words, it plays only its own content from the cloud, not what you have saved locally. What you need is a music or media playing app to play your music locally. On an Android phone, that would be players like JetAudio, MX Player, or VLC. On an iPhone, iTunes or Ecoute.
    Hmm, I thought there was a way to do this. I guess I'm wrong. Are those apps free? Any one you recommend for android? Thx man

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Hmm, I thought there was a way to do this. I guess I'm wrong. Are those apps free? Any one you recommend for android? Thx man
    VLC is what I use on my android and it's free. I have my 32 gig card installed and that's how I do it and it works fine. Pretty cool, don't need wifi so it's cool when I can't just punch it up on Youtube. Plus, it's whole albums so I just hit play and it goes. No bs.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    VLC is what I use on my android and it's free. I have my 32 gig card installed and that's how I do it and it works fine. Pretty cool, don't need wifi so it's cool when I can't just punch it up on Youtube. Plus, it's whole albums so I just hit play and it goes. No bs.
    Ok thanks I'll check it out.

I believe this can be done on the pc version of Spotify, but not the phone version.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I use Poweramp on Android. There is a free trial version, it's 3.99 for the full version.
    Works very well with bluetooth in the car, and wired with earphones.
    Plays flac at hi res ( if your phone dac will too ).
    I have about 5000 songs 170gb. Decent search and random access. Gapless play, crossfade and replay gain.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I've been wondering if there's a player for iOS that allows some kind of equalizer functionality so I can adjust the sound a bit. iOS's Music app is as basic as possible. Any recommendations?

^^ I use neither iOS, nor OSX. I couldn't begin to tell you. What I can tell you is both iOS and OSX are derivatives of Unix. Maybe there's a Unix/Linux music player which will run on Apple devices? I don't know.

EDIT: Upon further research, Clementine has an iOS version and is available for free in the App Store. I've used it on linux machines and can tell you it's a pretty decent player.
    Last edited by progmatist; 06-08-2020 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Hmm, I thought there was a way to do this.
    Spotify used to allow this, but they don't anymore unfortunately. I uploaded a bunch of albums to my account and then synced them to my phone via the Spotify app back in 2012. They've since removed that functionality so the only stuff you can download to play locally is whatever they provide.

The Google Play Music app will allow you to upload music to your library, so that may be worth looking into as well.

On a side note, Apple Music and iTunes have pretty much the entire Cardiacs discography so hopefully their music can reach a wider audience that way.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I've been wondering if there's a player for iOS that allows some kind of equalizer functionality so I can adjust the sound a bit. iOS's Music app is as basic as possible. Any recommendations?
    I use neither iOS, nor OSX. I couldn't begin to tell you. What I can tell you is both iOS and OSX are derivatives of Unix. Maybe there's a Unix/Linux music player which will run on Apple devices? I don't know.

EDIT: Upon further research, Clementine has an iOS version and is available for free in the App Store. I've used it on linux machines and can tell you it's a pretty decent player.
    Upon reflection, VLC is available in the App Store as well. I've installed it on my Apple TV. It's been a while since I've used the Apple TV, so it slipped my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    I use Poweramp on Android. There is a free trial version, it's 3.99 for the full version.
    Works very well with bluetooth in the car, and wired with earphones.
    Plays flac at hi res ( if your phone dac will too ).
    I have about 5000 songs 170gb. Decent search and random access. Gapless play, crossfade and replay gain.
    Poweramp and VLC will both stream and allow you to use equalizer functionality, I have not tried to stream Spotify however.

^^ I believe Spotify uses its own, proprietary network protocol which can only be accessed through its own website or player app. If I'm wrong, it's because I've never used Spotify.

I seem to remember reading that if you "download" songs in the app (in iOS) you get better sound quality than if not "downloaded." It doesn't seem any different to me though. Anyone know if there's any truth in this?

I seem to remember reading that if you "download" songs in the app (in iOS) you get better sound quality than if not "downloaded." It doesn't seem any different to me though. Anyone know if there's any truth in this?
    A comparison would be Amazon MP3 downloads are 360Kbps, variable bit rate. The highest quality MP3 stream is typically 128, maybe 192Kbps constant bit rate. Obviously, the former will sound much better than latter. A server dishing out many streams is bandwidth limited, like many straws in a cup of soda. The more straws, the faster that cup will run out. Thinner straws will help the cup last longer, and/or allow more of them.

A comparison would be Amazon MP3 downloads are 360Kbps, variable bit rate. The highest quality MP3 stream is typically 128, maybe 192Kbps constant bit rate. Obviously, the former will sound much better than latter. A server dishing out many streams is bandwidth limited, like many straws in a cup of soda. The more straws, the faster that cup will run out. Thinner straws will help the cup last longer, and/or allow more of them.
    CTTOI, maybe it was Amazon Music MP3 Downloads I heard this about, and not Spotify downloads.

CTTOI, maybe it was Amazon Music MP3 Downloads I heard this about, and not Spotify downloads.
    I was using Amazon MP3 as an example of how downloads in general differ from streaming. The same would hold true with a 256K AAC+ iTunes download, vs an 80K AAC+ stream. BTW: an 80K AAC+ stream is about the same sound quality as a 128K MP3 stream. AAC+ would be far more efficient in its streaming bandwidth usage.

Can you download music from Spotify?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    No. You are paying a monthly fee for a listening license, not an ownership license; if you stop paying (or if a label leaves Spotify), you can no longer listen to Spotify or that particular music on Spotify, even if you remain a member.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

You can download them temporarily as long as you keep paying your monthly subscription....., keep in mind you're only renting them
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    No. You are paying a monthly fee for a listening license, not an ownership license; if you stop paying (or if a label leaves Spotify), you can no longer listen to Spotify or that particular music on Spotify, even if you remain a member.
    Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    You can download them temporarily as long as you keep paying your monthly subscription....., keep in mind you're only renting them
    Okay. That's what I figured. Didn't really make any sense, otherwise, but I've read things that make me think you could.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Okay. That's what I figured. Didn't really make any sense, otherwise, but I've read things that make me think you could.
    And you aren't downloading an MP3 or something that you could play with something besides Spotify. It's some sort of proprietary format just so that you can listen offline, but you can only listen with Spotify. I still don't know if Downloading gives you any better sound than listening without downloading.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Spotify used to allow this, but they don't anymore unfortunately. I uploaded a bunch of albums to my account and then synced them to my phone via the Spotify app back in 2012. They've since removed that functionality so the only stuff you can download to play locally is whatever they provide.
    And the Spotify executive staff are frankly hurt that you would want to listen to anything other than what they want you to hear anyway.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

It is possible to add your own music files to the Spotify player. I’m using it on my iPhone. But this functionality isn’t very stable.

https://support.spotify.com/us/article/local-files/