Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rupert Hine RIP

Rupert Hine RIP

Musician and producer Rupert Hine has apparently left the planet. No details out there yet but being reported by Alan Graham and Zoe Keating. He left on June 5. He produced albums by Rush, Kevin Ayers, Thompson Twins, Stevie Nicks Suzanne Vega, Underworld, among others and released something like 11 solo albums.

Wow. RIP Rupert.

I have many favorite albums that he produced and played on, among them:

Anthony Phillips - Wise After The Event & Sides
    Chris DeBurgh - The Getaway & Man on the Line
    The Fixx - Reach The Beach & Phantoms
    Saga - Worlds Apart
    Camel - I Can See Your House From Here

R.I.P.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Wow. RIP Rupert.

I have many favorite albums that he produced and played on, among them:

Anthony Phillips - Wise After The Event & Sides
    Chris DeBurgh - The Getaway & Man on the Line
    The Fixx - Reach The Beach & Phantoms
    Saga - Worlds Apart
    Camel - I Can See Your House From Here
    All excellent albums. Also in Quantum Jump - a great band - and made many great solo albums. RIP.

the producer that took Rush into the 90's.....

Steve Priest form The Sweet also died.
    Last edited by BravadoNJ; 06-05-2020 at 03:09 PM.

Very sad news. Love a lot of his production-work mentioned about, but also his solo-albums and stuff with Thinkman, Quantum Jump, Café Jacques. He was recently active in bringing out compilation-albums.

RIP Quite the talented guy.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

R.I.P. I was always a big fan, this is definitely a big loss.

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Such a shame.

Quite a career and legacy though.

This hits me like a slap in the face. He produced so many of the albums that I love. One of the great musical architects of the late '70s and early '80s.

One of my favorite projects by Rupert was "One World Once Voice," an incredible music video project. It includes Peter Gabriel and many others. I bought the video cassette of this back in the early '90s. Here is a description and link to the video:

"The world's best musicians perform and contribute to an original score in recording studios on location and around the world: a global composition to encourage people everywhere to tune in to new ways of thinking about the environment and the planet."

From the original liner notes:

The Music on this album was first played to over a billion people around the world in May 1990 - The climax of the 'One World' series on television. It is the ultimate global mix, the brainchild of Kevin Godley. Filmed and recorded on the road, it is a "chain tape", each of the musicians adding a new theme to the mix as Kevin's team toured the world. All profits will go to charities fighting environ - mental destruction and rising global poverty.

The following artists have contributed to the making of One World One Voice:

Afrika Bambaataa, Laurie Anderson, Avelha Guarda Da Portela, Bagamoya Players, Cedric, The Chieftains, Clannad, Johnny Clegg & Savuka, Cy Curnin, Terence Trent D'Arby, Dred, Marc Ducret, Peter Gabriel, Bob Geldof, Dave Gilmour, Egberto Gismonti, Kevin Godley, Eddie Grant, The Great Muungano Cultural Troupe, Richard Guilliano, The Gipsy Kings, Rupert Hine, Chrissie Hynde, Howard Jones, Salif Keita, The Kodo Drummers, Helen Labarriere, Leningrad Symphony Orchestra (Conductor Alexander Dimitriev, Orchestration Simon Jeffes), Ray Lema, Roger Ludvigsen, Maria McKee, Milton Nascimento, Native Land & Themba, New Frontier, New Voices Of Freedom, Nu Sounds, Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Remmy Ongala & The Super Matimila Orchestra, Geoffrey Oryema, Hermetto Pascoal, Penguin Cafe Orchestra, Mari Boine Persen, Courtney Pine, Hossam Ramzy, Enrico Rava, Lou Reed, Robbie Robertson, Michael Rose & Junior, Ryuichi Sakamoto, Clara Sandroni, Shakespear's Sister, Steve Stevens, Dave Stewart and The Spiritual Cowboys, Sting, Jow Strummer, Steven Van Zandt, Suzanne Vega, Venice, Christopher Warren-Greene, Adam Woods, GuoYue.

Produced by Rupert Hine
    Recorded and mixed by Stephen W. Tayler

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    R.I.P. I was always a big fan, this is definitely a big loss.

That was a great album RIP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very sad. I'm a huge fan of his work and productions. He was always my first choice when asked who I would choose it I could have one of my albums produced by a famous producer. Always brought out the best in the artists. Look what a difference he made with Saga when he produced "Worlds Apart". Love the Fixx albums he produced.

I remember first become aware of Rupert Hine via his work with The Fixx (he produced their first four albums), and then later learned of his work with Anthony Phillips, Saga, etc. Most impressive CV. Has anyone ever heard his own records, like The Wildest Wish To Fly? I remember seeing a video from that on MTV maybe once, always been curious to hear more.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Has anyone ever heard his own records, like The Wildest Wish To Fly? I remember seeing a video from that on MTV maybe once, always been curious to hear more.
    I remember “Surface Tension” off of Immunity getting a few spins. Videos for “Misplaced Love” and “The Setup” (the latter off of Waving Not Drowning) also exist. All of that trilogy of early 80s albums are worth your while; a splendid early instance of digital sampling used in an “artistic” manner, mated to superb song-craft, including excellent lyrics from his collaborator, Jeannette Obstoj.

I am likewise fond of his early albums for Purple Records: Pick Up a Bone and Unfinished Picture. These are more folkish singer-songwriter fare, but it seems Hine’s own work was always “quirky” in some way, so there’s off-kilter and experimental bits on all of his albums. These two I’d describe as the unlikely midpoint between Al Stewart and Randy Newman. The seeds for the Penguin Café Orchestra were sown here; Simon Jeffes in particular contributes a lot to both albums.

The album I haven't heard mentioned yet is "Sunset Wading" by John G. Perry. Fantastic album! In addition to Hines performing and producing, it has Roger Glover, Geoffrey Richardson, Morris Pert, and Michael Giles (among others).

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=13312

a loyal companion of my early listening choices. i first came across his name as producer for SAGA and was delighted to be reacquainted when he produced RUSH’s reinvention efforts after their synthwave period. plus, he produced this very fine album (link). RiP musical thinkman.

let’s avoid “what is love” for a change:

Quote Originally Posted by roylayer View Post
    The album I haven't heard mentioned yet is "Sunset Wading" by John G. Perry. Fantastic album! In addition to Hines performing and producing, it has Roger Glover, Geoffrey Richardson, Morris Pert, and Michael Giles (among others).

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=13312
    Interesting. I was not aware of this album. John G. Perry was a regular on many of those excellent early Anthony Phillips albums (and Hine obviously was involved in two of them). I will have to check this one out. Thanks!

This was released on DVD a few years ago: Rupert Hine live in Sweden. Phil Collins was going to play drums too (the drumkit in on stage) but at the last minute he seems to be stopped by management or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Interesting. I was not aware of this album. John G. Perry was a regular on many of those excellent early Anthony Phillips albums (and Hine obviously was involved in two of them). I will have to check this one out. Thanks!
    Rupert Hine also produced Seabird from John G. Perry. It was released by Voiceprint in 1995. Besides the usual suspects Corrado Rustici also played on this one.

His solo work opened up a lot of things for me. RIP.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Rupert Hine also produced Seabird from John G. Perry. It was released by Voiceprint in 1995. Besides the usual suspects Corrado Rustici also played on this one.
    I believe he played on Sunset Wading as well. I still haven’t heard Seabird, but SW is highly recommended. A bit unclassifiable, “ambient fusion,” maybe?

There’s also this, produced by Hine and featuring PCO personnel. Some Ukrainian model-actress or something. I wonder whatever became of her:

Milla! Thanks for posting this. I had forgotten that he co-produced "The Divine Comedy" until looking at his credits yesterday. I love that album!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Di...ovovich_album)

I believe he played on Sunset Wading as well. I still haven’t heard Seabird, but SW is highly recommended. A bit unclassifiable, “ambient fusion,” maybe?

There’s also this, produced by Hine and featuring PCO personnel. Some Ukrainian model-actress or something. I wonder whatever became of her:

Two words: Resident Evil

Someone's been watching Manson videos.
    The older I get, the better I was.