Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rupert Hine RIP

Yeah, his first two early 70's solo albums are ok, and I liked Quantum Jump OK, but TBH, I've +/- hated everything he's done from 79 onwards, including his production works (why did Saga get rid of Gross to hire that clown?).... Of what I heard anyways.

RIP anyways.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Just played One Man's Poison again from Waving Not Drowning. Great drumming from Steve Negus in the climax.

Also nice to mention Rupert Hine worked with Tony Banks and Mike Rutherford on the soundtrack of The Shout (1979).
    https://ruperthine.com/discography/the-shout/

I have his solo album "Immunity" (love "I Hang On To My Vertigo" and "Samsara") and many albums he played on and produced. "Sunset Wading" and the Anthony Phillips albums have been mentioned, but nobody has listed my favorite Kevin Ayers album "The Confessions of Dr. Dream". A great album from start to finish, and the epic 19-minute title track is a prog classic. Rip Rupert.

Quote Originally Posted by roylayer View Post
    One of my favorite projects by Rupert was "One World Once Voice," an incredible music video project. It includes Peter Gabriel and many others. I bought the video cassette of this back in the early '90s. Here is a description and link to the video:

"The world's best musicians perform and contribute to an original score in recording studios on location and around the world: a global composition to encourage people everywhere to tune in to new ways of thinking about the environment and the planet."

From the original liner notes:

The Music on this album was first played to over a billion people around the world in May 1990 - The climax of the 'One World' series on television. It is the ultimate global mix, the brainchild of Kevin Godley. Filmed and recorded on the road, it is a "chain tape", each of the musicians adding a new theme to the mix as Kevin's team toured the world. All profits will go to charities fighting environ - mental destruction and rising global poverty.

The following artists have contributed to the making of One World One Voice:

Afrika Bambaataa, Laurie Anderson, Avelha Guarda Da Portela, Bagamoya Players, Cedric, The Chieftains, Clannad, Johnny Clegg & Savuka, Cy Curnin, Terence Trent D'Arby, Dred, Marc Ducret, Peter Gabriel, Bob Geldof, Dave Gilmour, Egberto Gismonti, Kevin Godley, Eddie Grant, The Great Muungano Cultural Troupe, Richard Guilliano, The Gipsy Kings, Rupert Hine, Chrissie Hynde, Howard Jones, Salif Keita, The Kodo Drummers, Helen Labarriere, Leningrad Symphony Orchestra (Conductor Alexander Dimitriev, Orchestration Simon Jeffes), Ray Lema, Roger Ludvigsen, Maria McKee, Milton Nascimento, Native Land & Themba, New Frontier, New Voices Of Freedom, Nu Sounds, Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Remmy Ongala & The Super Matimila Orchestra, Geoffrey Oryema, Hermetto Pascoal, Penguin Cafe Orchestra, Mari Boine Persen, Courtney Pine, Hossam Ramzy, Enrico Rava, Lou Reed, Robbie Robertson, Michael Rose & Junior, Ryuichi Sakamoto, Clara Sandroni, Shakespear's Sister, Steve Stevens, Dave Stewart and The Spiritual Cowboys, Sting, Jow Strummer, Steven Van Zandt, Suzanne Vega, Venice, Christopher Warren-Greene, Adam Woods, GuoYue.

Produced by Rupert Hine
    Recorded and mixed by Stephen W. Tayler
    This album will be rereleased in October by Esoteric Recordings, including a DVD: https://oneworldonevoice.co.uk/rupert-hine/

These lovely words were posted by Anthony Phillips on his site:

"1977 had been an exciting and action-packed year: a six-week Geese and the Ghost Promo Tour of the U.S. and then the thrill of developing Tarka orchestrally before that project came to an abrupt halt.

I suddenly found myself charged with doing an album of songs - solo. All my previous professional writing and recording experience had been under the wing of the Genesis family. Terra incognita.

There were some songs ready to go - though were they any good? So I settled down to try and come up with some new, more varied, dynamic ones. But an album...? Who with ? How...?!

Thus I found myself on a Saturday evening early in September going round to a house in Connaught Street to visit a producer. I was welcomed cordially. We listened periodically to the song demos, about which he was luckily complimentary, in between endless tales, anecdotes and allusions delivered with great charm and wit. I felt myself slipping into a cocoon of deep relaxation, well-being and personal affirmation! I stumbled out of there as the birds were starting to sing, bleary-eyed but happy, content and relieved!

Thus welcome to the world of Rupert Hine.

It didn't seem to involve a lot of sleep! Rupert somehow contrived to be everywhere, do masses, whilst still having time for everyone. The house he shared with his girlfriend Jeanette was a haven, an open-all-hours sanctuary for many, listening in Rupert's den downstairs or upstairs, in great comfort decked out with abundant cushions watching endless videos of gems such as 'The Fall And Rise of Reginald Perrin'. There were always people dropping in, made to feel welcome, with tea & coffee constantly on the go.

Rupert introduced me to a bewildering array of talented, remarkable and interesting people. At the centre and seminal to the two albums on which we worked, were the dynamic duo Perry and Giles whose musical brilliance was matched by their kindness and forbearance with my insecurities and dodgy time-keeping (Michael legendarily sent me home at the weekend to practice with a metronome!) There was Mel Collins, Ray Cooper, Simon Jeffes, Gilbert Biberian and countless more.

But at the centre, Rupert. Infinitely patient, upbeat, positive, always encouraging and subtly instilling self-belief. He was both full of innovation and ideas yet allowed one's imagination to run riot, often adding parts to songs that couldn't live together simultaneously yet were still valid. We spent TWO days mixing 'Now What Are They Doing To My Little Friends' - all manually, flying by the seat of our pants. Four pairs of hands with multiple faders, muting tasks. The song would effectively be arranged in the mix itself, dropping out vast numbers of parts until they all finally came together triumphantly in the last chorus.

I couldn't remotely have done it without him. There was never a cross word and I never witnessed Rupert being anything other than courteous, patient and kindly with all whom he encountered. He readily suffered fools - without cynicism - and they left the less foolish because of it.

He was a fulcrum, a fixed point from which countless ripples flowed out, helping, enhancing and enriching those in his path.

A hugely successful producer, revered artist and composer, innovator, pioneer, original mind. Yet he always remained at heart a thoroughly decent, self-effacing, generous and big-hearted Englishman.

R.I.P Humbert, from your old mate Vic (Stench)"

^ Great post. Thanks.
    He did not know that the sword he'd hold, would turn his priceless empire into fool's gold...

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Thanks, Koreabruce. I came in here to post that,but found that you beat me to it.

At least I got confirmation that Humbert Ruse and Hubert Rinse were aliases for Rupert, as I suspected.

Warm post from Anthony! Thanks for posting.

RIP Rupert, a big loss.

Sent from my GT-I8200N using Tapatalk

Is the mysterious person sitting behind the board in The Fixx's "Secret Separation" video Rupert in disguise?

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    Is the mysterious person sitting behind the board in The Fixx's "Secret Separation" video Rupert in disguise?
    Mmm, could be.

Beautiful tribute by The Fixx on https://en-gb.facebook.com/thefixx/v...0465488419000/

Chris DeBurgh posted this:

I am very sorry to learn of the death of Rupert Hine, who produced three albums for me, "The Getaway", "Man on the Line", and "Power of Ten," and from these albums came two worldwide hits, "Don't Pay the Ferryman" and "High on Emotion." It was such a pleasure working with you.
    Rest in peace my friend.

"I read the news today, oh boy."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/15/a...ies-at-72.html

Mr. Hine began producing albums in the 1970s, notably for the progressive rockers Kevin Ayers, Anthony Phillips and the band Camel. His own songs leaned toward the atypical structures and cerebral concepts of progressive rock.
    RIP.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Yeah, his first two early 70's solo albums are ok, and I liked Quantum Jump OK, but TBH, I've +/- hated everything he's done from 79 onwards, including his production works (why did Saga get rid of Gross to hire that clown?).... Of what I heard anyways.

RIP anyways.
    I think his production on Saga's "Worlds Apart" is vastly superior to the their first three albums.

I understand his first production was Food of Love for Yvonne Elliman. He wrote this song (with David MacIver), which also appears on his Pick Up a Bone album:

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

That is actually very nice! I only knew of Yvonne Elliman from Jesus Christ Superstar and from the song "Love Me" which is not one of my favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by roylayer View Post
    That is actually very nice! I only knew of Yvonne Elliman from Jesus Christ Superstar and from the song "Love Me" which is not one of my favorites.
    You never heard this?

I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    This was released on DVD a few years ago: Rupert Hine live in Sweden. Phil Collins was going to play drums too (the drumkit in on stage) but at the last minute he seems to be stopped by management or whatever.
    R.I.P. Rupert Hine! My first "producer idol! I had the fortune of being at that gig, watching from the wing!

My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    You never heard this?
    Oh yeah, I do remember "If I Can't Have You." It's inoffensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I understand his first production was Food of Love for Yvonne Elliman. He wrote this song (with David MacIver), which also appears on his Pick Up a Bone album:

Thanks. The original is also on YT:

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Mmm, could be.

Beautiful tribute by The Fixx on https://en-gb.facebook.com/thefixx/v...0465488419000/
    I asked Cy if it was Rupert Hine in the video and he told me it is not.

∆ Cy gave me a clue: "The Controller has many names..."

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    ∆ Cy gave me a clue: "The Controller has many names..."
    Ollie?