Thread: RIP Lew Fisher (Progday Regular and All Around Awesome Dude)

RIP Lew Fisher (Progday Regular and All Around Awesome Dude)

I don't believe he was here anymore, but I'm sure some folks here may know or remember him, especially if you've attended ProgDay. Lew flipped the proverbial bird at cancer and this life and made his exit surrounded by grateful family, friends and all the best music.

He had a hand in helping us play PD both times, and spending endless sweaty minutes on Storybrook Farm swapping music tips and suggestions between bands was always a highlight of my time @ Progday every year.

RIP to one of the good ones.
    Ephemeral Sun - because I gotta do something about these boxes of CDs in the basement: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

Oh....
    RIP.
    We had some nice chats on the field.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Unknown

Lew was a really nice man; I always enjoyed talking to him at the festivals.

rest in peace, Lew!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This space for rent: Well established location. Perfect opportunity for an up and coming smart-ass to benefit from our years of provocation!

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Was he the Lew who was the Progprinter, the Progressive Music Society guy? If so, that's incredibly sad. He was a really good guy.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Was he the Lew who was the Progprinter, the Progressive Music Society guy? If so, that's incredibly sad. He was a really good guy.
    Yes. Very nice guy. I don't remember the printer he worked for but he told me that they manufactured a lot of album jackets.

Oh man!
    Rest in Peace Lew!.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Lew and I shared a hotel room the only Progday that I ever attended.

Nice man and so enjoyed his prog.

RIP my good man.

Now I remember! Wasn't he a member here? Been a while. RIP.

^ Yes, but only active sporadically.

Sad to say I never knew him, but I'm very sorry to hear of his passing. It sounds like he was a good guy.

Lew was a fellow member of the Progday Band Selection Committee..outside of music, Lew and I had a big interest in motor cycles. He would come to Progday on one of his bikes, I think he had a more than one...R.I.P. Lew.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

For what it is worth here is what I posted on my Facebook page today:

I am very sad this afternoon to learn of the death of my friend Lew Fisher. Lew was one of those people that I only saw once a year at ProgDay down in North Carolina. We always had great conversations and commiserated with our mutual love of music. Every year Lew would come rumbling onto the ProgDay site on his motorcycle which he loved riding. We would hang out off and on over the course of the weekend. Lew was also involved in the ProgDay organization for many years. Lew and I were also friends on Facebook and would often discuss music and other topics. One of the cool things about social media was being able to communicate almost daily with people who live in other parts of the country. Lew had kept me up to date with his struggle with cancer and was trying his best to beat it. When he stopped posting a while back, I became worried. Then I was told that he had been moved to hospice, so knew this day would be coming soon. Lew was a great guy who loved his family, his motorcycle, and his music. Lew will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    Yes. Very nice guy. I don't remember the printer he worked for but he told me that they manufactured a lot of album jackets.
    Lew printed some of the ProgDay programs back in the day too.

I received a PM from John Battema today informing me that Lew had died, not having seen this thread. I got choked up. I always enjoyed talking with Lew at ProgDay. A true gentleman.
    Lou

Awarded the Krusty Brand Seal of Approval. It's not just good, it's good enough.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I didn't know Lew, although I'm sure I saw him at ProgDay a lot. I always think this, but next time I need to devote a little more time to meeting people so I can put names with faces.

A loss to theProgDay community - RIP Lew.

I remember Lew from the early days of PE. I recall he sent me some Strawbs CDs. Nice guy. Somwhere along the way something about PE rubbed him the wrong way though and out of that he went and created his own Music Society. Maybe he just wanted a "kingdom" of his own. I don't remember the details. Glad we could be a motivation. RIP

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I didn't know Lew, although I'm sure I saw him at ProgDay a lot. I always think this, but next time I need to devote a little more time to meeting people so I can put names with faces.

A loss to theProgDay community - RIP Lew.
    I just about guarantee that you met Lew at some point.